Gastroenterology Community
Gallbladder removal/hernia repair

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Gallbladder removal/hernia repair

I am having my gallbladder removed the old fashioned way.  Reason for this is due to me having gallstones for so many years, surgeon believes it may be too diseased to take out laparoscopy method.  What is the recovery time for this major surgery, cutting my body half way around from front to back?  What can I expect after surgery?  I also have two hernias to be removed while under anesthesia for gallbladder removal. I am scared and middle aged.   Does anyone know how long the recovery time would be for all of this combined?
Puppycat, I remember a friend having open surgery several years ago to remove his gallbladder and I believe the total recovery time was about 4-6 weeks until he felt really decent. Within about a week he was walking around in fairly decent shape, but this is open surgery like any other open surgery and you're going to have to give yourself 'down' time. Make sure to keep ahead of the pain in the early stages by taking the meds you're given and team those meds with stool softeners or whatever is suggested so you don't get constipated. Pushing when you've had open surgery isn't much fun.

Open surgery is a much better option if the surgeon suspects adhesions. It will give them a clear field to see what should be cut and what shouldn't be cut.

You'll do fine. Just be kind to yourself.
Does your gall bladder bother you? Please check life without a gall or living without a gall before you consent the surgery.
I had my gallbladder removed in an open op 5 years ago.  i was off work for 8 weeks before returning on light duties!!
take care, good luck with your op!
Did you have time to check the link? looking forward to your post.
I agree with safeliving.  My husband's gastrointerologist recommended gall bladder removal for my husband, who had no gall stones, but had a diseased gall bladder.  The removal did not alieviate any of his stomach/gastro pain, but made things worse.  He is not able to eat many of the foods that he really enjoys (hot dogs, salads, anything fried, creamy soups and sauces, etc.) without getting severe pain and diarreah (diarrhea).  His digestive system is never normal.  You might really want to weigh the pros and cons of this procedure before you have it done.  Just a thought.  Good luck!
I regret to have my gall removed, I really did not want to, but the doc just nagged me to have it remove. he kept saying that gall will cause me more trouble in the future,

my dad still has his gall stone in his gall bladder and there is no bile in his gall, there are only stones wrapped with gall skin and he is 84 years old, he can eat everything in moderation, it bothers him for a while sometimes, it goes away itself.

I know now after went online to check life without a gall, basically, person have no gall will have no life!!!!!
I just wanted to add this to the conversation.  For some people, when their gall bladder is removed, they have many many problems afterwards.  However, this is not true for everyone.  Some people barely notice it when their gall bladder is removed, except for the relief of symptoms that were caused by the gallbladder.  Having your gallbladder removed can help your symptoms a lot and it is definitely not true that if you have your gall bladder removed, you will have no life.  This happen rarely but it definitely doesn't happen for anyone.  Also the people that had their gallbladder removed do not know for sure what problems they would have had if they didn't have their gall bladder removed.
do you still have your gall?
I don't believe it has anything to do with this, but yes I still have my gallbladder and I've never had any problems with it.
you  have no idea what the life is if you still have your gall with you. May the God bless us all.
Yes, that is very true.  However, you don't know what life would have been like for you with your gallbladder.  Also, the situation you are living with is not true for everyone.  I have known people who have had bad symptoms and then have their gall bladder removed and they get basically completely better and they live a normal life.
great!

we have our voices heard,

Let others to make their choices, Consequences are the result of the wrong choices we are making,

Blessings!
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers