Gastroenterology Community
Has anyone heard of Paralytic Ileus ??
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Has anyone heard of Paralytic Ileus ??

Hi. I think I have figured out my problem. I have been on Narcotic pain meds for my back and hips for the past 6 months- never took more than 2 in a day, & had to have a bad day for that much & is much lower dose than was actually prescribed. I have noticed slowing down of my bowels off & on for a while, w/ wierd sounds. Last week, they really slowed down & have now pretty much stopped. I can't eat & am miserable, I researched & found para;ytic ileus & that best describes my problem- as I tried to tell my dr today, I feel like they are "paralyzed". I know pain meds can cause this. I am very worried, I know not to eat, but am wondering if this will reslove. Obcviously, the meds will have to go, which will be hard b/c of the pain. What should I do if I don't get better ? any advice would be helpful. My dr did'nt know what was wrong so treated it as constipation and told me to take fibercon and colace & ex-laxx. Very scared !