Gastroenterology Community
Large Worm In Stool (Possibly roundworm) and itchy anus

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Ok, i hope someone can help me on here because i'm running out of solutions! A couple of months ago i passed a large (roughly 12cm), pencil-thick worm in my stool. From images i've seen on the internet, it looked like it was a roundworm. It came out after passing alot of diaorrea. I went to my GP and got some stool samples taken (to test for eggs). The results came back "negative". As i was not satisfied with this result, i went again and this time they took a blood, urine and stool sample. Yet again, the results came back "negative".

I'm fairly sceptical of these results because i have one main symtom that is not going away - a chronic anal itching. I have had this itching for roughly 2 years and hadn't associated it with anything other than a rash and/or irritation of some sort. That was, of course, until i saw this beast in my stool! But, I haven't found anything on the net associating this kind of itching with large worms, only pinworms or threadworms.

So my GP perscribed me Vermox (mebendazole) 100mg. 6 tablets over 3 days. And the itching still remains. I also expected to see dead worms in my stool but have not. What am I supposed to do now? Just keep ultra hygenic (nails short etc) and hope it goes away?
I have had the exact same problem for a while now. I started passing worms in my stool (I don't know how I got them; I exercise almost every day, watch everything I eat, and am super hygenic) every now and then. The worms were pretty small. So I went into the outpatients, found out I would have to wait about 4-6 hours to see a doctor, and the nurse told me that I should be able to get medication for my problem over-the-counter.

So I decided to go to the drug store, talked to a pharmacist, and got a package of 12 pills that you take 1 of for every 25 lbs of your weight; that worked out to me having to take 9 pills. I took them, went to bed, and the next morning felt a lot better (might have been a placebo, I don't know).

A couple weeks later they were back. I went back to the drug store, was informed that it's normal to have to take 2 dosages, and so I bought another package and took 9 pills again. Again I initially felt better, but within 2 weeks they were back AGAIN. And this time, I was passing them more frequently and they were A LOT bigger. I tried to see my family doctor, but had to be put on a pretty long waiting list...now I'm waiting to see my doctor and am still seeing them pretty frequently in my stool.

I should note that I have been sick with a head cold for over 2 weeks now, and just recently my mucous had starting smelling and tasting really gross. I don't know if that might have anything to do with the worm problem, but you never know.

I really hope we can figure this out...Ugh...I wish I could help you, man, but I thought knowing that there's someone else out there dealing with this might be a little consoling. Good luck.

did you also have a lot of white tissue or mucous in stool?  there's a discussion on 'white tissue and bloody stool' but i think it's in the colon cancer category.  i pass what i think is worms but docs won't believe me and tests show nothing wrong.  it's frustrating.