Gastroenterology Community
PLEASE HELP GIARDIASIS

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

PLEASE HELP GIARDIASIS

Apx 22 years ago I was diagnosed with a giardia parasite and was not treated since i was 5 onths pregnant.  Symptoms went away.  But for the past few months I have been having moderate pain in my lower left side and assumed it was an ovaian cyst  (had many) had an ultra sound and was told I did have one but it was very small, not enough to cause the pain I am having.  
My question is, could I have an intestinal infection or a problem with the untreated giardia from years past.  Does giardia just go away when it's untreated?  I had even forgotten I had it until recently.
Please help.  ANYBODY KNOW ABOUT GIARDIAS?
Some people can develop long-term infections if they're not treated. You may want to consider getting checked.
Either your doctor or Public Health (free) can check you for giardia lamblia.  It is done with a feces sample.  If you had it while pregnant it should have been treated even though you were pregnant.  When gone untreated it's side effects can be permenant and very damaging.  I lost all ability to eat food and suffer from severe abdominal pain.  If you have this you need treatment immediately!  Please take the simple free test as soon as possible.  If you really had it, it should not have gone away on it's own.  I am surprised Public Health did not send out a social worker to you.  Here in Champaign, Illinois, if giardia lamblia is discovered everyone in the household must be tested by law.  Since the disease is connected to water supply - something like a bad well would have to be quarentined.  Please do not delay in getting tested and cured.  The damage this parasite can cause is usually permenant and untreatable.  Get it out of you now.