Gastroenterology Community
Problems after bowel resection

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Viewing 201-301 comments:
Hope you are doing well. I was doing much better but have noticed a backwards step the last few days.  Not only the itching, but I am experiencing soreness in the surgery area as well as lower.  My bms are normal but to think a week ago, I felt almost no pain or soreness!! I also have company in from out of town, mother in law and brother in law, and work is hectic crazy.  Not sure if that is contributing.  Good news is I am scheduled for follow up colonoscopy on Dec. 2nd.  Hopefully, this is all normal.  Not sure if my diet is contributing, also, but am staying away from nuts, seeds and roughage still. Or perhaps stress.  I am taking pain pills, in evening, and motrin during day.  It's not unbearable but seems so mild in comparison to what RX is going through. Take care and thanks for everything.  How is your healing going?  
when you had the set back where was your pain again? I know that when I have a day where its not so bad and then do more or have company the pain finds its way back! I feel for you. I am glad that you have the cononoscopy soon. I don't think that your pain is mild. Any pain is bad and we hate it. I get cranky and wonder why we are tested so much! I know that Rx is really having to go through a lot and I feel for her and praise her ability to do so with such grace! I think you should stay away for roughage still. It could block you if you are still swollen. A doctor told me that we stay swollen for about a year! Rx girl has in drains I know for infection, but the swelling stays with the bowel a long time. Does your pain ever go down the top of the abd where the leg meets the body? I am trying Lyrica because the dr said that I should not have such nerve pain. Maybe you could mention it to your docor. So far not many side effects. I hope it works.
I have you to thank that at 5 month out you still hurt because you are my hero! I just feel so alone with some of my other friends because they just do not get what we are going through.
Later,
Nancy
I hope you all are feeling well.  I am preparing myself to return to work on Monday!!  I don't think I am ready for this!  But, with the economy the way it is, I can't afford not to go back now.  If I don't return now, I don't think my job will be there.  Heck, I am not even sure my same supervisory position will be there on Monday!  I might have to work myself back up the ranks again!  
I have only one drain in now.  The output was too much for my surgeon to start the removal "process" on Tuesday.  I think I have him convinced that when the time is right,(hopefully, tomorrow) he will remove it all on the same day instead of backing it out in stages.  (I hated that!!)  Right now, the removal is scheduled for next Tuesday, BUT, I would then have to go from the Dr.'s office to work, which means I would not have any pain meds for the removal.  I called his office yesterday and spoke to his assistant (she is FANTASTIC!) and she is checking with the doctor to see if he will take it out tomorrow so I have the weekend to recover from that "trauma".  My abdominal wound is getting very, very small.  I still have a home health nurse for the rest of this week.  Once I go back to work, I am not eligible for home health care.  So, my husband and I will be packing the wound ourselves.  I am not afraid of that. We both have backgrounds in the medical field.  (Which has made this whole ordeal more mind-numbing, since we REALLY knew what was going on!)   We probably could have taken care of the wound when it was a wide-open, but we should we when we had someone else to do it!  Plus, it was reassuring to have an RN to talk to everyday!
Speaking of which, my nurse just got here!
Will post again soon!
Suzanne
Kit:  thanks for your kind words.  That's funny you should mention where the pain is.  I notice the soreness and burning and itching seems minutely better today but I have been watching diet more, plus, like I said, inlaws are here.  But I have noticed that sometimes the pain is down where you describe, as well as in the back area, too.  Also, what is Lyrica? It sounds familiar and I may talk to my doc about it.  Take care.

RX:  I admire your strength and courage.  Also, feel for you as you are going back to work.  I hope that everything goes well at work.  You are definately right about this economy.  So far, my hubby and I are okay with our jobs.  But I teach out of a county facility where they do unemployment filing, job searches, etc., and they are seeing their numbers go way way up... lots of people out of work.
I am glad to see everyone is getting along somewhat ok, just wanted to check on everyone to say hi and see how everyone is getting along. Everyone take care and email me via my profile if you'd like to talk more.

Polly
Hi.  Hope all is going well with you.  How are you feeling?  I am improving and watching diet more.  I backslide and eat something and boom.... get that pain again. lol.  Now I am just dealing with this annoying itching but kit says it is nerve regeneration.  I will keep all posted.  Hope everyone else is doing well.  Sue
Just a quick note...Lyrica is kind of like Neurontin (Gabapentin).  I see it used a lot for neuropathy.  Lyrica is very expensive, there is no generic available.  (Or at least there wasn't the last time I worked!) lol

My surgeon DID remove my last drain today!!  One less thing I have to worry about when I go back to work on Monday!  I go back to see him on Tuesday for him to check on the abdominal wound, and also to see if he has to write a note for my restrictions at work other than the 5lb lifting limit.

I am going to try to clean up around here some before I get back to my working routine!

I hope this finds you all doing well, God bless!

Suzanne
I hope all have a great Thanksgiving, even with our limited diets.... RX, I hope all goes well at work.  I  googled Lyrica and am not sure that is something that I should take.  I will ask my doc but I noticed that one of the side effects mentioned depression and anxiety, which I already have.  I am waiting for the colonoscopy, next Tuesday, and feel good about it, except worried that there may be pain afterwards.  I have had 2 before, but only for screenings.  I will be glad to see if there are no adhesions or anything else that could be causing pain.  I must say, though, that pain is getting better.  But I still take meds at night. So glad that the drain is out.  I know it was hard for me going back to work.  I had a 10 lb lifting restriction and never realized how many small things weigh more than that, like my purse, for example.  lol.  What I did was use one of my small rolling luggages, with handle, and would ask for help getting it in and out of my car.  Take care all and God bless  
Sue, what a great suggestion with the rolling luggages for work! Why did I not think of that!
Have a great day, we all celebrate our main meal on Saturday so today my husband and I take part of our family to the zoo. I am waiting for my stomach to settle down so we can leave the house. Will this ever end!
Rx, take care! So glad you are doing better.
Everyone have a great day! Its been a few days for me not looking in and I realize how much I need all of you and your prayers!
God Bless,
Nancy
I hope everyone has a blessed Thanksgiving.  My husband and I shared the cooking duties and my Mom came up to celebrate the day with us.  
Going back to work wasn't bad.  FYI- I still have my same position!!  No pay cut for me!!Thank the Lord!  Work has been VERY hectic this week.  My first day back we filled over 325 prescriptions!! (none of them were mine!)  

I just wanted to check in on everyone and hope you have a terrific, safe and blessed holiday with family and friends!

God bless,
Suzanne
Hi.  Glad everyone had a great Thanksgiving.  Mine was definately better than last year when I was only able to eat mushy foods.  RX, I am so glad your job was there for you and most importantly, no pay cut.  Do you work in a pharmacy?  My son laughs when we go pick up anything for me because they know me and automatically go get mine.

Kit:  Hope you are doing well.  Yes, the rolling luggage saved me for sure.  Even though I am a teacher, there are still heavy things ( more than 10 lbs) that I would take back and forth.  Have fun at the zoo!  I have Grandma duty today, love every minute of it... I am off until Monday but both my son and daughter in law have to work.  Take care all and God bless.  
I am glad that everyone had a great holiday.  I was able to eat everything, however, extra fiber PLUS colostomy bag is not such a good thing.  But, I would do it all over again because the food was SOOOO good!!

Yes, I do work in a pharmacy.  I was an Emergency Medical Technician in 1994, then I started working in the pharmacy in Nov. 1995.  So, I have had the same job for 13 years.

You have the same familiarity with your pharmacy as I do with my surgeon and his staff! lol  I did not get any of my prescriptions filled at my pharmacy while I was on my leave of absence.  I went to a pharmacy closer to home.  It's kind of weird letting someone that you trained on the computer to fill your prescriptions! lol

I think I am home for the weekend except for a trip to the grocery store on Sunday.  I am not brave enough to tackle the mall this weekend.  Plus, I don't have the patience for large crowds!

Take care and God bless!
Suzanne
Glad you were able to enjoy yourself....I ate good too.  Wow, you were an EMT, too?  So you also, like Kit, had medical experience.  Mine has all been first hand, things that I have experienced..lol.  But my best friend is a nurse and she and I talk a lot.  Also, I am with you...I do not like crowds and do not go out on Black Friday.  I spent the day babysitting Angie but make a quick grocery store trip.  Best place to go on Black Friday, no crowds..lol.   Have you had any experience with a GERD drug called Aciphex?  I was on Prevacid, for years, but my new GI switched me as the Prevacid was so expensive on my insurance plan.  I am noticing some break through Heartburn and wondering about it.  Never had that with Prevacid.  God bless all and have a great weekend.  Today would have been my son Ryan's 30th birthday so my other son, Tim, and I are taking balloons and candles to the cemetary.  His "angel day" is Tuesday, 12/2, so please keep me in your prayers.  This is always a bad time of the year for us...
Glad to hear everyone is doing well or the best to be expected. This was the first year I was really able to enjoy my Thanksgiving, not just because of the surgery but because my depression seems to be lifting, maybe just from knowing now that I am not alone with this situation and my migraines.

You all have been a God send to me and I'd like to share my excitement with you, my fiance and new stepdaughter should arrive home this coming week. We have anticipated this for months and hopefully a wedding at Christmas if we can get the church. Please keep us in your prayers.

Feeling better these days but still get under the weather with pains no one can explain. But I guess it comes with the territory.

Bless each and everyone of you
Polly
Congrats!  I wish you all the best. I am glad that your depression is lifting, also.  How long ago did you have the surgery ( sorry I forgot).  I am 10 months out...hard to believe it.  I am dreading my colon prep tomorrow but Praise God, it is only for one day.  Last year, at this time, I was having to eat pretty much like that al the time.  Plus I hate the stuff you have to drink.  I will be in la la land most of Tuesday, which is good as it is a bad anniversary date for me.  Take care all....Sue
You are always in my thoughts and prayers, but I will say extra ones for you this week.  I can only imagine the heartbreak you experience on these "anniversaries."  I have never experienced a loss like yours, and I pray for others in your situation as well.  The only comfort that I can offer you is that you will be reunited with him one day, and he won't be taken from you again!!

I know that I dispense a lot of Aciphex.  Some drugs work better for different people.  I used to be on Pepcid (famotidine), but I am now taking Prilosec (omeprazole).  I have been doing very well on the omeprazole, and on my insurance, the generics are only $4.00 for 30 day supply!  

I better get going. I have to make something for dinner!  (with less fiber!!) lol

God bless to all.  I hope everyone is in good health and spirits!
Suzanne
Thanks for your prayers and thoughts.  This is always a tough time of the year, but the Lord will and always had led me through it.  I may have to talk with my GI about the Acidphex if this continues as Prevacid worked well, just so expensive.  I don't think there is a generic.  Take care and God bless.
I am 2years out in Jan. and really cant believe that it has been that long.  Things are getting better I think the depression is what was getting me down alot, usually during the winter it gets worse for me but things here seem to be looking up. I have found you all to turn to when the days get hard and my family is going to finally be complete again.

Sue you are always in my prayers and God watches over each and everyone of us and knows our needs and your son is with you each and every day as my sister is as well.

Love you all and God bless!
Polly
Good luck tomorrow, sorry that this is a bad time of year for you. I am have great respect for you. Glad you are doing well Rx girl too.
Not much new here, just the same old pains. Some days are better than others.
You are in my prayers.
Nancy
Hi.  Thanks for your kind words and prayers.  It was good that I had my procedure yesterday as I slept off and on all day.  Well, my colonoscopy went well:  no polyps and he said the resection area looks great.  My endoscopy was okay, too, but he told me I have gastritis and took a small piece to biopsy.  I am not very familiar with gastritis so if anyone is, please share.  He told my hubby that a part of my stomach was inflammed.  I think that is why my stomach has been acting up lately, even though I take my meds.  I was on Prevacid and have been on Acidphex for the last 2 weeks.  I go see him for my followup in 2 weeks.  God bless all...Sue.
Hi.  Hope everyone is doing as well as can be expected during this time when food, especially stuff we are not supposed to eat...lol, is everywhere.  Thought I would check in and see how everyone is doing.  I go for my followup, with my gi, after my endoscopy/colonoscopy, a few weeks ago.  I am doing okay.  I was suffering bad from the gastritis I found and may ask to go back on the prevacid as opposed to the aciphex I was put on about a month ago.  I went on some home remedy sites and found several that recommended chamomile tea as well as coconut water and coconut milk.  That seems to be helping.  Also, he put me on Carafate, which coats the stomach. Doing better, but having set back in my colon issues.  I was doing well, but have been experiencing iritation in the surgery area.  I accidentally ate some sesame seeds, on a bun, and don't know if that is irritating or not.  Darn...I hate this.  Perfectly good Arby's sandwich..lol. Forgot about the seeds. Scary, as it almost feels like a year ago when this whole nightmare came to a head with the hospital stays and surgery and all.  Anyway, sorry to be a downer.....Just needed to vent.  Merry Christmas to all.....
I hope that the gastritis is under control somewhat. I know that is a real hard issue to deal with. When you said that you had a set back I felt for you. It just seems that we let our guard down a little and then wham! I ate something very bland, wheat crackers. You would think nothing of it. I got bloating, pain and gas and all of the tugs and pulling. I thought I was blocking up again! It cleared out, but really depresses you! I watch other people eat now and think wow, that looks so easy to eat and not worry about how the next day will be! You are now a downer, this time of year we are to be happy and its hard with the way things have been for both of us this time of year. I was just thinking of you today and wondering how it was going. Do you have a long Christmas break coming up? I have to go and get my meds refilled, the ones you know I started last month. I think I am doing a little better, I just wish I could wake up and NEVER feel that panic again! Its almost like post tramatic stress disorder I think. I know the year anniversary is coming up for you. We never forget them. I hope next year is better for all of us. Merry Christmas to you too!
Hi.  My gastritis seems to be getting better.  I saw my gi yesterday and he recommended that I start on probiotics( I was impressed as my old doc did not want to hear anything like that).  He gave me some samples and told me that some of my pain may be from an imbalance of the flora.  He also prescribed an anti spasmodic called Betyl.  I have not filled yet.  He showed me on the report that I have a hypertrophic colon, I guess meaning that the muscles are spasming due to the fact that they had to work so hard when my I was having my attacks.  Have you ever heard of it?  He seems to feel it will help with the pain that I am having.  Also, I know what you mean about watching people eat.  It is so frustrating watching people eat all sorts of stuff and knowing that they probably have no problems with it.  Anyway, yes, my one year anniversary is in January.  Other than that, he said everything looked good.  There are still some small diverticula but not alot. Also, the H Pylori test came back negative.  He gave me samples for Prevacid to see if that works better than Aciphex for my GERD.  I am glad that you are refilling your script.  So many people get discouraged with no immediate results that they just chuck it.  My older sister did. Well. have to get back to work.  I am working next week, but the kids are off.  Hope to get caught up on stuff.  God bless.
Hi.  Just wanted to wish everyone a Merry Christmas.... God bless.  Sue
I am sorry that it has been so long since I have posted.  Being back to work has taken any extra energy away from me!  Plus, last week I had a bit of a scare, I had a fever again and thought we were about to start over from square one.  Luckily, the fever passed and I did not go to the emergency room.  
My Christmas was amazing!  Back in September, when I had my second emergency surgery, I wasn't sure that I would still be here for Christmas.  I have so much to be thankful for.  Even though having a colostomy bag and a nasty hernia were not on my list of things to try before I die, I know that these experiences have made me a little bit stronger on the inside!  
I had an appointment with my OB/GYN ten days ago, and we decided that he would perform my hysterectomy at the same time as my next surgery in August or September.  That kind of put a lump in my throat,  I know that it is not safe for me to get pregnant or to try to carry a baby to term, but I always thought that my husband and I would make the decision when to stop trying for a family.  Now the decision has been made for us and we still have empty bedrooms and empty arms.

Anyway, I hope everyone's holiday was fantastic.  I wish you all a safe and HEALTHY New Year!

Suzanne
Happy Holidays to all. I am thinking of all of you and wishing you well. Sorry about the news Rx its tough to get that around Christmas time. What was the hernia symptoms and did not see it? I did not know you had to deal with that too.
Sue, as always I know how this holiday is for you. Thinking and praying for you.
Later,
Nancy
Hi to all.  Rx, I am so sorry about the news.  Does your doc feel that it is absolutely necessary?  I was wondering if maybe you waited until you are all healed and then could try again?  I pray that you will continue to get better.  Please keep us posted...you all are always in my prayers.
Kit, thanks for your kind words, too.  I had a good Christmas, much better than last year considering I spent last year in the hospital...lol.   This was a tough one, emotionally, as I missed my son more and more just from the fact of having my other son, his wife and Angie here.  I started doing the "what ifs...thinking about if Ryan would have had kids, etc.  But all in all, it was great.  My sister came over and we have a great time.  
Hello all,
This is my first time posting and I am glad to see a forum like this where others are talking about what experiences they have had following colon surgery. I had a partial colonoscopy done in the hospital due to severe pain in the abdomen on Dec 19,2006. The scope revealed a really bad infection due to diverticultis and a colon resection was recommended. During the resection the surgeon noted an ugly looking polyp and removed it. It turned out to be cancerous, but he got it all and I did not have to have radiation or any other treatments for cancer.

I have had severe chronic neuropathic abdominal pain ever since. I have had a different problem from most I have read because my problem along with the pain is constipation and I have to take a laxitive at least once a week.
I have a constantly bloated stomach sometimes stretching to 10 times my normal waist size. The muscles in my stomach are so sore all the time it's hard to deal with. I have a problem with sitting and standing for more than 3-4 hours at a time. I have to lay down with a large ice pack to calm the muscles down.

I also have almost daily flare-ups as I call them. This is when I feel like I am being stabbed over and over again, sometimes just in one area and other times all over the abdomen.Other times it feels like I am being prodded with a cattle prod in different areas. And then, at times it feels like my abdomen is an electrical grid and jolts of electricity are sent to differen grids all over the stomach. Afterwards it feels as if I have been gutted and my stomach is one large open wound.

I started going to see my gastro about a month after surgery and told him I didn't think I was getting any better after the surgery. I was told it was just taking a little longer for me to heal. After 5 months with no improvemen I was referred to a Pain Management Clinic. I have tried about every drug available for nerve pain and nothing has helped to date. I even took Topamax which was supposed to cause me to loose up to 40 pounds and I gained 20 lbs.
I wear a 25 mcg fentanyl pain patch and try not to but some days have to take Lortab once or twice a day. I had migrains starting after the surgery but is controlled by Depakote.

I just had my 2 year anniversary with the pain and constipation and the doctors have no idea what to do at this stage. I have had 5 nerve blocks to the celia plexus to no avail. Does anyone else have similar symptoms or any suggestions?
I am so sorry to hear how you are still suffering after all this time!  Have they done ct scans to see if there is an obstruction or something that is causing this pain? I am almost a year out and still have some residual, depending on what I eat or do.  But what you are describing is awful.  I pray that you will find a doc who will look for answers.  I "fired" my last gi as he thought I was neurotic 4 months after my re-section as I told him I was still having pain.....Please keep us posted and glad you found us.
I was referred to Pain Mgt because my Internal Medicine and Gastro Doctor's had no idea what was causing the pain. They told they had never heard of anyone having the pain symptoms I was discribing and had no idea what to do about it.
I just returned from the 3rd nerve block in the past 6 weeks and I haven't had any relief from the blocks. I told the doctor about this forum and how many others were going through this after surgery. He told me it was very rare. I don't think he knows how many people are suffering severe pain after colon or any other abdominal surgeries.
I don't believe the doctors know how to treat these problems other than prescribing drugs and doing nerve blocks. If that doesn't work they don't know what to do next. With me any activity causes a severe flare-up of the nerves in the abdomen. The Pain Mgt Doctor recently had me go to physical therapy sessions. Each day I had therapy I spent the rest of the day in severe pain and landed up in bed with my trusted friend the ice pack. I was supposed to do the exercises at home on the days I was not going into the therapy clinic, the exercises at home also caused flare-ups and we has suspended the therapy until after my next appt. with the doctor.
Well, I can tell you that pain after this type of surgery is not rare!  All you need to do is read through all of our posts to see that!  Before my surgeon released me, he ordered a complete pelvic and abdomen ct to make sure the anasmatosis ( where the re-section was done) looked okay.  It did.  I also just recently had a colonoscopy and the gi said everything looked okay, too.  However, I still have some residual pain, as I mentioned before.  He thinks that the muscle ( apparently the colon is one big muscle) became hypertrophic ( I think that means got bigger, like when you lift weights) and spasms at times.  He prescribed Bentanyl ( I think my spelling is wrong) It is an antispasmodic but I have not tried it yet.  If it were me, I would probably look into a second option.  Also, forgot to mention that my surgeon did say that some people take up to 2 years to be completely pain free from this surgery.  Hope this helps.
Hi Sue,
Yes I have had CT scans, about 6 of them after the surgery and to date. Some were to make sure none of the cancer had returned, others to see if everything was ok with the surgical site, etc. I have had bone scans, MRI's and everything else. I have tried most of the antispasmotic drugs, currently taking Lyrica 300 mg per day, but none of them have seemed to help. The pain is still constant, bloating, and flare-ups daily. I am wearing a fentanyl patch for pain also and take Lortab in addition when the pain gets too bad.
I am probably going to have to change doctors soon, this one has run out of ideas and will not go up on the pain patch prescription. He doesn't believe in the narcotic drugs. I have spoken with several others in the pain management area and they say they would have started me on a dose twice as strong as the max my current doctor has prescribed. They told me they had attended conferences with my doctor and could not figure out why he was so opposed, they commented that the object of pain management was to stop the pain, so why not increase the dosage?
Anyway, I'll stop complaining, it does no good anyway. I will deal with the bad days and look forward to the better ones. Thanks for your prayers and replies. I hope all of us have a Happy and Better New Year.
So sorry your doc won't increase the dosage.  My hubby is on pain management for his back, spinal stenosis.  We are waiting for an experimental surgery to approved to hopefully fix it, as the  neurosurgeon said current surgery would not fix.  Plus you have all of the risks of back surgery.  I pray that they will find out what is causing all of your pain.  You have had so many cts plus mri, I would think that something would show up. I know that my road has been much longer of a recovery than I expected.  Mine was done because of diverticulitis not cancer but my sister had the same surgery because she was in the beginning stage of colon cancer.  She developed a blockage which turned out to be a small malignant tumor.  You are in my prayers.  Also, I agree with the other docs, pain management is about stopping the pain so if it is not working, then it is not managing the pain.  Hope this new year brings you answers as well as relief.  God bless.
Hi Sue and Rx and welcome Brown dawg You are in the correct place for the pain. Please read my posts I have had 3 major surgeries . 2 were colon resections and one was adhesions or scar tissue removal. I have had the types of pain that you speak of to a somewhat lesser degree. I have had to try the nerve meds and live with the side effects just to be normal. I have had to be on pain relievers also. A lot of the pain you feel has to be nerve related or adhesions. If you do any thing please look up www.adhesions.org and take a look at some of the patients and what they discuss there. I can tell you the pain is real and physical therapy does not relieve it. Please feel free to ask me anything! Sue and Rx are very wonderful people and have both been through so many things in life so stay with us and we will love you and pray for you.
Nancy
Hi, Not much news here. Got some check ups next week. I am hoping to talk about some of the nerve pain I have and pray its not something bad! I am just so tired of surgery! Its the surgeon so you always get nervous at that appt. How is everyone else doing? I am sure that you are all very busy! Thinking of you all and hoping we get a better 2009! Thanks for all of your support for me in 2008!
Nancy
Sorry that I have not been in touch lately!  My computer was on the fritz and I had to have a friend repair it for me!  It's nice to know people with useful skills! lol
Things have been ok here.  I went to see my surgeon on Tuesday.  He "played" with my hernia for a little bit. (And by played, I mean he pushed on it to the point I was white-knuckling the side of the exam table!)  We still anticipate a surgery date in September!    I saw my GI doctor on Wednesday, he wants to put me on Miralax (laxative).  I don't really agree with his thinking on this, but I will try it for a month, and see what happens.  I think they are grasping at straws as to why my resection failed so horribly.  I don't blame them though.  Murphy's law has a way of messing with me! lol
I have been having a REALLY hard time emotionally.  My due date for the baby girl that I lost is fast approaching (Feb. 4th) and it seems like everyone around me is about to give birth!  My sister-in-law just had her baby on Tuesday.  I am happy for all of them, but it is a sad reminder of what I lost and what I will never have (biologically)!  I know we will check into adoption after my next round of surgeries, but it doesn't stop the hurt right now!  It doesn't help that my hernia makes me look like I am pregnant or have just delivered, so my patients at work are asking me about things!  Uggh!
I have also been experiencing abdominal pain around my incision site, but I have found that if I gently massage the area, it feels better!  At least I found an easy "fix" for something! lol  I also take Lortab for the hernia pain, but not from the incision or surgical area!

I hope 2009 is better for everyone!

Suzanne
Hi.  So sorry that this is such a hard time for you.  I have never taken a laxative like Miralax so not familiar with it.  Also, the knowing that you have another surgeyr coming up, in Sept., gives much anticipatory anxiety.  I hope that you get some answers as to why the resection didn't work.  I have my 1st anniversary of mine coming up on Jan. 24th and can't believe it has been almost a year.  I still have a little pain but if you saw my earlier posts, my endoscopy showed gastritis so I go back and forth with that.  Some days it seems to be healing and others I suffer.  I am on Carafate now, which seems to constipate me. You are always in my prayers and especially now..  God bless you in 2009 and always.
So sorry about your pain and the hernia and your coming due date. Its really hard for you right now I understand that. I know how much you have helped all of us and I am praying for you. I will remember to pray for the baby on Feb. 4th.
Sue, it is hard to believe that one year out is here for you soon! Its been a really long year! How is the Carafate doing to help your gastritis? What does the gastritis feel like, burning pain? I have had my check ups last week, just hate those. I went to a new surgeon because mine was going to retire soon so you know the drill, tests and questions Blah! My regular dr. appoint was meds refill day. I am sick of being sick:)
Well, thought and prayers to you both!
Nancy
Hi.  The Carafate seems to be helping a lot.  Plus, I am taking my Prevacid twice a day.  I posted in another forum and a very nice lady recommended honey, first thing in the morning or before bed, as a home remedy.  I have been doing that too.  For me, Gastritis is like a combination of nausea, pressure and burning in my stomach. The hardest thing is having to wait to eat.  Both meds need to be taken an hour before you eat. Carafate coats the stomach so I literally have to wait about 2 hours.  Oh well, it could be worse.  I seems to be getting better.  I researched online and read that it can take a few months to heal.  I really think it was caused by all the Motrin I was taking for pain.  I have always had a problem with it since I was first diagnosed with GERD, back in the mid ninetys.  Take care all.
Hi all.  haven't posted in a while and wanted to check in and see how everyone is doing.  I am doing alright, I guess, but having a set back this week. Pain in the surgery area( where the re-section was done).  I have a question for all:  Has anyone dealt with constipation which causes pain after bms?  That is kind of what I am dealing with.  I am going off of the Carafate as my gastritis seems to be better but one of its side effects is constipation.  Thanks all and Happy early Valentine's Day.  
I too am sorry that I have not posted anything recently.  I guess that is good news though; my life is getting somewhat back to normal!  I have been working 40 hours per week, it is sooo nice to have a full paycheck again!  I have been wiped out by the time I get home at the end of the day.  I manage to eat, watch a little TV, write in my journal and read a little bit before it is time to sleep and get up to do it all over again! lol  Beleive me, I am not complaining.  
I saw my surgeon yesterday.  He has ordered a motility test to see how long it takes for "things" to travel from point A to point B.  At least this test won't be painful!  My hernia has gotten bigger, it is now the size of a grapefruit.  The hernia repair is still scheduled for September along with the bowel reconnect and hysterectomy.  I go for a mammogram on Feb. 25 because my OB/GYN confirmed a palpable mass at my last visit to him.  I am confident that it is probably just a cyst. But, I would rather have it checked out.
My seven year wedding anniversary is next Tuesday.  It seems hard to believe that it has been that long!  
Even though I haven't been in touch on posting, you all are not far from my thoughts and prayers!  I need to go work on my taxes while I have a little bit of free time.

God bless all of you!

Suzanne
I too have not been on to post but have thoughts going out to all of you! I am glad that you are better Rx girl.Does the hernia hurt? My last incision is terrible. I have bad scar tissue that poochs out! Its not a hernia yet, but dr says it may be! What next! Anyway, I think of all of you and pray for all of us. We are really being tested. I hope the mammogram is clear for you rx. You don't need any more trouble.
Sue, I have issues with constipation too. I dont think what happened to you is to worry about. Frankly with my 2 resections I can feel the food or gas travel through them and sometimes its painful or crampy there. Its not ever going to feel the same! I know the dr. says its going to get better, but I think we just have to find a new normal I guess!
Happy Valentines Day to all!
Nancy
Hi.  So glad to hear from everybody.  Kit, I guess you are right.  This never goes away.  I was feeling pretty good and then....wham.  I guess I need to be ready for the highs and the lows.  I am so impatient.  I thought maybe I was to the point my surgeon said" where you forget you had the surgery"  
RX:  you are always in my prayers.  I hope all goes well with your mammogram.  You reminded me that  I am due for mine. The last one, last year, they used a new type of equipment that can get better views so I was relieved as I am fibro cystic and have been called back to get a closer look.  God bless all.
Sue and all
Hi, my bowel resection was in July 07.  However, unlike most of you at present I am doing well.  I do have a lot of diahrrea but that is expected with about 3 feet of colon gone.  

Sue, just wondering why they were waiting until Sept. to do your surgery.

Hope all of you have a much better year this year.
Hi.  Welcome to the forum.  My name is Sue but RXgirl is the one who is having surgery in September.  If you scroll up you can read her story as well as mine.  I am glad to hear that you are doing well.  I am one year out and they only took 7 inches from me, but it has not been a good year.  Well, yes it has, as my first grandchild was born, a beautiful little girl born last June.  My pain recedes then comes back depending on things I do, eat, I think.  Anyway, God bless and welcome again.
Kit:  Hi, I am glad that things are going well for you.  Yes, the hernia does hurt.  My surgeon and myself are convinced that all of the pain that I have left in my abdomen is due to the hernia.  This thing is huge!  It actually makes my back hurt because it throws off my center of gravity!  lol

Sue: I am glad that I was able to remind you of something, even though it is a mammogram.

Cough: I have to wait until September for my next round of surgeries because I had a failed reconnect surgery in September of 2008 and they wanted to wait until I have fully healed and recovered from all of the "trauma" that I went through last year.

I will post again soon!

Suzanne
Hi.  So sorry you are having so much pain from this hernia.  I remember you saying that you have an anniversary coming up so I pray that it will be a beautiful one...you deserve it after all you have been through.  Hope you, and everyone, had a great Valentine's day.  God bless.
Hi Rx and all
Does the Gastro dr say anything about what the hernia could do if it is not fixed at this time.  I would hope that he is keeping a close look at it.  I am sorry that you are having so much trouble.  Make sure that you have the best bariatric surgeon you can find for future surgery, it sould like your surgeon did not do the best of work.  

Good luck and keep me posted.

Sue, has your dr. check for an ulcer?  Might have that checked out.

Hope your are better soon.  I will be thinking of all of you.

All where was the bowel resections?  Small or large intestine?

Mine was in the small intestine and I have loose bowels often.  My gastro dr. said this is because I now have a shorter bowel.  Otherwise, thank goodness, I have not had problems since my resection.  Once again to all, please research and find the best bariatric surgeon you can find - don't just go with the one that the gastro drs suggest.
Hi.  I had an endoscopy and colonoscopy done in early December.  Thank God the colonoscopy showed that where they did the resection looked good.  Mine was in the sigmoid portion of the large intestine. Actually lower than I thought, from what he said.  Also, the endoscopy showed gastritis and he biopsied to rule out H. Pylori.  That was negative. I also suffer, for years, from GERD, and take Prevacid daily.  I was also taking Carafate, to heal the inflammed portion of the stomach.  It worked well, but they think it caused this constipation I am suffering with.  He took me off of Carafate and I am taking Miralax, once daily.  Hope it works.  God bless all.  
Hi all,

Hope this week is going to be better for everyone.  At this time, I am doing wonderful.
However, until 2 years ago I had nothing wrong and very seldom was sick.  Of course I now know that was because my immune system works overtime, thus I have chrons.

Sue, is the Previcid helping the Gerd.

Last Oct. I had Nissen done for my reflux, I was taking 3 Prilosec each day and still was having terrible cough and reflux.  The meds just didn't work for me, I had taken different inhibitors but they just didn't stop the cough and refux.  After lots and lots of tests the Nissen was done by the same bariatic surgeon that did my resection.  He did a loose wrap and I no longer have to take anything nor do I have reflux.  

Have a great day all.
Hi.  Yes, Prevacid seems to be the drug that works the best for me.  I had switched to Aciphex, cheaper, but it didn't work as well.  I am curious.  What is a Nissan?  I never heard of that procedure before.  Take care.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissen_fundoplication

It is a procedure where they take the top of the stomach and wrap around the esophogus so that it is strenthened.  You can go to MSN and type in Nissen and it will show you a picture.  I also had a hiatial hernia which was repaired at the same time.
I have been very blessed that in both my bowel resection and the Nissen I had a great surgeon.  He did the lapo on my resection when most would have cut me open because of the state my small intestine was in.  Then he did a loose wrap on the Nissen which is much harder to do and why so many have had problems after having it done.

Glad to know that the inhibitors are working for you.

Thank you for the advise and the concern.  However, there are/were other underlying factors that contributed to the failure of the reconnect surgery.  My surgeon is working closely with my GI doctor to ensure that I do not have the same problem again when the reconnect takes place in September.
I am well-versed in the medical field, and if I felt uncomfortable or apprehensive, you can trust that I would seek a different surgeon.

My surgeon follows the condition of my hernia very closely.  I see him every 3-4 weeks.  He also knows that if anything changes, that I will call him immediately.  The relationship you build with a surgeon when you have chronic problems is amazing.  He does not want to repair my hernia with the mesh because of all the scar tissue and adhesions that I have.  He wants to wait until they take down my colostomy again and then remove the damaged abdominal muscle and sew the healthy muscle back together.  I prefer to call it my free tummy-tuck! lol  As long as I wear the hernia belt to support the weight of it, I seem to be ok.  

I will post again soon!

Suzanne
I have never done this sort of thing before.  It has been a very trying year for me.  after being hospitalized for a large abcess (abscess) on my colon, several CAT scans and numerous antibiotics, it was determined I needed surgery for severe diverticulitis.  I had the surgery in April 07, infection in the hospital and I left the hospital with an infection in my incision that took about 7 weeks to heal.  I must tell you that I live in a small town in Alaska and live 300 miles from my surgeon and have no health insurance. I am a single mom with a teenager at home.  No one told me how serious or how extensive this surgery would be.  I was anxious to get back to work and was finally cleared after 8 weeks.  After about 6 weeks back at work I lifted something wrong and got a rather large hernia by the incision site.  My boss wouldn't let me work until I got the hernia surgery.  So in October 07 I had yet another surgery.  Again not realizing how extensive it would be.  About three weeks after the surgery I woke to horrible diarrhea and violent vomiting, I was so afraid I would rip something open.  After another 3 days in the hospital, I was diagnosed with c-diff (Idon't know the proper spelling) it is when all the good bacteria are dead and only the bad bacteria remain. I had to eat a lot of yogart and more antibiotics ($750.00 for this one) I am still in such pain in the lower abdomin (abdomen) area.  Sometimes all I want to do is lay on the couch and not move.  how long will this last.  i feel like such a baby.  My doctor and surgeon also don't understand the pain and make me feel like a addict.  "you gotta get off those pills"  Well I don't want them nor do I want the pain.  It has affected the quality of my life.  I have had to quit my job because of the physical problems and now feel like I'm having mental problems as well.  I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.  Just knowing that others still feel the pain helps, although I'm so sorry anyone has to live with this.  Maybe just talking to others who understand will help.  Thank you
Hi.  Sorry you are having so much pain.  Having the colon resection once I understand how you feel.  I don't understand why your docs are not doing more for you.  Have they done another CT on you since the last surgery to check the surgery site? Or a colonoscopy?  I never developed C-diff but I have heard it is awful.  Just wanted to let you know I am a big baby too.  I can not take pain.  I had the surgery in Jan. of 08 and still get pain sometimes depending on what I eat or do.  Being so far from docs is bad too, I'm sure.  As for mental issues, I have suffered from depression all of my life and have been on meds for years.  I also have an anxiety disorder that reared it's ugly head after the surgery.  I would suggest, if you can, trying to see someone who can help with the depression.  I am not a good writer, but I hope this helps.  Know that the others here on this forum are great.  Also, I never developed a hernia but RX did.  Please let us know how you do.  Sue
We have all been there to a degree where you are at. Where is your hernia and how big is it. I have had two colon resections and 1 adhesion surgery. Sue is a wonderful source of information and very compassionate person. I am on meds for depression and it has helped a lot. Please talk to your dr. about that. Nearly all people who have a major surgery suffer from depression to some degree. You can read my posts to know what I am about.
Good luck, Hi Sue!
Nancy
I have the same stomach twitching in my abdomen, stomach area, just recently these last 2 days due to medications, mobile bike recumbent & walking exercising. My diet is good, after 5 years of my interior bowel resection, nausea also. I am surprised to find others who like me had an operation like mine. I will be seeing my surgeon dr, family physician also and psyche, dr. also. My mom is a retired RN and took care of my  wounds after the op in 2005.
Take Citrical to help me have normal bm's. Please keep me informed.

Kathy,kotigln2755

I just had a redo of my interior bowell resection of 2005, on June 6, 2011. My mom (RN retired ) was able to help during the last two weeks after this surgey to dress my wounds and stiches. Mom did an EXCELLENT JOB!!!. I have the stiches out, eat no lettuce, and have lactaid free milk, take Citracil. I was also prescribed to take a medication called pasaclemean? 3 times  before meals-1 half hour.. I also eat a lot for fruit in my diet., bm's normal. I still have to see the same surgeon in a few weeks again.At times it is sore I cannot lift anything over 15 lbs. I have a bikini cut at the same place, this time the  Dr. put in a pesser or net in there. I can't walk too much either or do any housewoork to help my mom, for a a couple of months. I also have to worry about getting an infection as usual, take my temperature, beware of becomming nuseauted again..     Befoer this 2nd operation, I was having what I though was a Hemmoriads no, my DR. and his Associate said my rectum  had signs of comming out. So I had to go through this operation again. I had a paid also on either side,of my rears. I though it was gas no it was starting to come out. Now everything is okay so far.....I am recuperating after this ordeal. In the weeks ahead I will tell how my  progress is going. Thank you.
I had a Dr. accidently laserate my spleen and colon during removal of a kidney with a soft ball size growth on it.  The Dr. decided it would be best to take the kidney rather then cutting off the growth so as not to spread infection in my body.  The Dr. also inadvertantly laserated the growth spewing out the fluid within the kidney.  The Dr. released me after three days.....I was so sick and thought it was to soon, but he was the Dr. after all.  The first night home I spewed up bial all night and was back in the hospital the next day.  From that point on I was in and out of the hopsital for three months.  The Dr. seemed to be ignoring my severe weight loss, illness and a lime green fluid spewing out of my previous incision wounds. I believe he knew what he had done doing surgery but was hoping things would naturally get better.  Finally I got so sick I didn't even know that I was sent to the hospital. Next I knew i woke up in ICU after several surgeries.  During the first surgery at this point when they opened me up I had fecal matter throughout my abdoeman.  To make the three years and counting shorter for ya; I've had 12 surgeries thus far and one or two more to go.  I've had a severe internal infections, colonostomy (bag), up to nine fistulas, coma for three weeks due to ARDS, and so on so forth.  The original surgery was done the same month I retired from the Army with 27 years.  I earned my MBA at the end of my military career and moved my family in prep for a good job after retirement.  I have yet to use my MBA or enjoy retirement from the Army.  I had medical insurance but I'm financially destroyed due to day to day bills and support of my family.  It's been a long three years and I hope to be normal eventually.  Thanks for being my shoulder to cry on.      
In Dec of 2010, I was diagnosed with a carcinoid tumor on my small intestine near the joining with the large intestine. On Jan 3, I had surgery to remove the tumor and 12 lymph nodes. They ended up taking about 3-4 inches of small intestine and the whole right side of the large intestine. Of course, the tumor and 3 of the lymph nodes showed cancer. I saw a specialist and was advised i had to learn a different outlook on this particular cancer (same type, NET, as Steve Jobs) as it is very slow growing. I am scheduled for tests and a visit with the specialist over the next 4 weeks. There has been no further treatment for the actual cancer as the surgery is the first line of treatment.

As far as I know right now, there have been no more tumors, and the symptoms that alert to the carcinoid seem to be gone for the most part.

However, and here we go, the main symptom is severe diarrhea, and I really can't tell if I have it or if the bowel movements are as they are due to the resection.

I understand the large colon is where the fluid is taken out of the body, and given that I have about one third less of that to perform that function, the movements will obviously be more liquid and loose.  I've been searching all year for somewhere on the internet that someone can advise me or at least talk intelligently about what I should expect as bowel movements at this point.

I go for several days or even weeks at a time and nothing seems like diarrhea and then suddenly it is all very loose and flakey and I go many times a day and the urgency is intense.  I can't wait when I feel the urge to have a movement.

I just don't know what is "normal" and what to consider as a problem.  Has anyone else had anything like this following a resection? Am I just not giving it all enough time to become some sort of normal for me?

I was so happy to find this site/group as I feel rather alone in this.  The surgeon is no help at all.  I had a bad infection after the surgery and it took him until March 22 to finally listen to me and run scans and tests to discover the reason for the severe pain I was having. Obviously I doubt that I use him again as a surgeon if that becomes a need in the future.

I hope there is at least someone who can share some advice with me as to what to expect and what to
Were you able to at least recover some money/financial aid from the doctor who caused all this to you?  I don't believe in frivolous law suits, but this certainly sounds like something you should at least look into.

I will keep you in prayers and hope to hear better things in the future.
I too ended up with a hernia as a result of my resection surgery, but I never thought about that causing back pain. It doesn't look to be very large according to my PCP, but of course it looks huge to me. Nothing fits right anymore and clothes are uncomfortable now. Doc says trying to "fix" it will only weaken the muscle more so unless it gets serious or strangles it is best to leave it alone.
Hi All,

I had a segment of my large intestine (sigmoid colon) removed seven weeks ago. It was done laparoscopically.  My recovery has been a rocky one, with good days, one or two, followed by a couple of bad ones.  I am concerned that this is not progressing fast enough.  For instance, I wake in the morning and after having my breakfast (a cup of oatmeal) I have a bowel movement, then another one an hour later and then another one in a half hour or so.  The stools of the third bowel movement tent to be thinner than the first one. The first stools of the morning are usually of normal shape and size.

Also with the third BM I feel some constipation.  I am also feeling some itching, pinching and sometimes pressure in the anal/rectal area.  This is all very stressing and I am having lots of anxiety, specially now that I am returning to work, and don't know how to deal with this multiple BM in the morning.  Also some  back pain, sciatica style.

Can someone share some thoughts, or experiences with me?  Am I making too much of this?

Many thanks
Hi.  My resection was done in jan. 2008.  I had a rough recovery.  Lots of pain for months and months.  I say hang in there.  It is very soon after your surgery. my colon was small and they had a hard time finding a clip to re-attach then my colon started to spasm.  I am happy to say that I am doing fine now.  Just have to have colonoscopies every 2 years.  Next one is scheduled for tomorrow.  
Hi Sue,

Thanks for your comments.  I appreciate it. I hope your colonoscopy went well.

ljmd
Thanks.  Yes, it went well.  My gi switched to light sedation from general anesthia so I was awake at time.  He found one small polyp that he removed.  I am waiting for the results of the biopsy.  Hope you are doing well.
I too have that issue with multiple bowel movements in the morning.  When I get up it starts in and  they are often as you described. I've been trying to find someone or a site to talk about this for a year now. I'm so glad I found you.  You are the first to describe what I'm dealing with.  My surgery was Jan 3, 2011.  I still have pain and have had issues with what appear to be infections. The gastro doc  at times appears to be annoyed with me when I go in due to the pain issues, and he puts me on an antibiotic that is so horribly expensive they have to give me samples as I can't afford it!!  I too worry about being out, because when I feel the need to have a bowel movement, it is right now. There's no waiting.

I have back pain just below my waist and I really feel like I can connect it to bowel movements or at least intestinal issues.  The resection was done to the right side but now the "feelings" of pain and such are on the left.  it scares me because I think something must be  wrong on the left side now.  The doc says nothing is showing up on scans, but there has to be some reason for the pain and the other issues i have.

I obviously don't know what your reason for the surgery was, but I had a carcinoid tumor and it was cancerous. I have a scan and blood tests every 6 months now to monitor for that.  The scan on Nov 16 showed no tumors or lesions, so they say nothing is wrong.  But I know what I feel and it hurts!!

In general, my recovery from the surgery was not too bad. Well, unless you figure in the kidney stone blasting and recovery 6 weeks after the resection surgery!!  Well, that and the infection I got right away and the surgeon ignored me for 3 months!!

I guess I just have to keep insisting they look at things to find out what is still going on in there, right?  i wish you the best for your recovery and again I thank you for posting. I needed to hear from someone with at least similar "events" as a result of all this. The gastro guy did say "normal" (as in before surgery) doesn't exist anymore.  "Abnormal" is my new normal. Try to figure that out!!
Sorry you're having problems.  I know what it's like.  That surgery was the first I ever had in my life and it was so traumatic.  My surgery was due to multiple episodes of diverticulitis that would not respond to treatment.  I ended up in the hospital and one month later had the surgery.  I kept complaining about pain to my surgeon, whom I saw for the first 4 months after my surgery. He didn't seem to understand the pain.  My gi was a jerk and I "fired" him.  I ended up switching to the one I met in the hospital who was so compassionate.  I have been to the Er several times since and he says my colon spazzes.  He gave me something call Bentanyl, to slow down the spasms but I hardly ever take it as it slows down bms too.  I would check into the pain on the left side...could be what I had. Good luck
Hi...I had a sigmoid resection (15 cm) on November 15th secondary to a mechanical bowel obstruction (adhesions and redundancy).  I've been bleeding with every BM since.  My surgeon said it was "normal", and even did a flex sigmoidoscopy on December 16th, which showed, "...anastomosis not healed yet..."

Well, I'm now 12 weeks out, and still having maroon-colored bleeding.  The GI doc is doing a colonoscopy on Friday to , "...rule out anything above the anastomosis..."  I started having the left sided-pelvic pain again too.

Could their be a tumor above the anastomosis?  Anyone have a similar experience?
I HAD MY LARGE COLON AND APPENDIX WITH RECETION TO RECTUM IN 1998.  I HAVE DIAHREA EVERY DAY OF MY LIFE UP TO 12 TIMES IN 24 HOURS.  NO MEDICINE HAS HELPED AND I'VE HAD LOTS OVER 14 YEARS.  BY NOW 2012 I AM SO WEAK  I CANT GET OFF THE SOFA.  DEPRESSION LOTS OF IT.  I JUST CAN'T BELIEVE THAT IN THIS DAY AND AGE THERE IS STILL NO HELP.  HOPE YOU HAVE BETTER LUCK....JEAN
I HAD A LARGE MASS REMOVED VALENTINES DAY IN THE LOOP OF SIG /RECTAL AREA on valentines day AND HAVE REFERRED PAIN TO ANUS RIGHT SIDE AND BLADDER
I am trying to find someone that may have had a similiar experience to mine, that might be of some help to me.
I had a low anterior resection Nov. 16th for Stage 3 colorectal cancer. I had 1/2 of my rectum removed and about 6 inches of the lower colon. I did fairly well after the surgery but am still upset about how difficult my bowel function has been. I can have up to 20 BM's a day, albeit small ones. I yo-you back and forth  from constipation to mulitple BM's. Usually my bm's are very small, but it's like I can "poop" on demand any time of day or night! It is so frustrating. Has anyone else experienced this? I am now 16 months from my surgery. My surgeon initially said it would take up to one year from my bm's to be normal, and then when they weren't normal after one year, he said it could take up to 3 years! I am starting to believe this will be my new "normal" Any help or advice would be greatly appreicated!!!!
Hi.  I did not have the same surgery you did, but did experience some constipation, never diahree.  I did not have cancer, just multiple episodes of diverticulitis that would not clear up, even with the meds they were giving me.  My gi tried different combos.  This went on for 5 months, then I finally had the surgery.  I know my surg was the same way, telling me I would "forget I had the surgery" in 6 months...bull....then he said 1 year....they don't know, I believe, cuz they have never had it.  Everyone heals differently.  Long story short, I fired my gi and went to another one, who checks with colonoscopy every couple of years.  You may want to switch docs.  Sometimes we forget that we are in charge...
Has anybody had a bulging stomach after colan resection and gall bladder removal. My stomach seems to blow up and then it goes down it's very ugly looking and I was just wondering if anyone else has expericened this condition.

Harold
I had colon resection because of diverticulitis it is 3 weeks after the procedure I have pain on the right side where they put the scope in and center under the belly button where they took out the intestine. The pain gets worst when you have to go to the bathroom or if you have gas the doctors don't have a clue they are taking about cat scan any ideas
Hello all, I am glad I found this forum. First of all. I would like to wish everyone well. And a recovery to the fullest. I wonder if anyone could share their thoughts and experiences with me.

2 months ago I had my bowel perforated during a colonoscopy/endoscopy. I checked myself into the hospital in severe pain that same night. After 2 days of x-rays and ct scans they couldn't see the perf. The 3rd night it hit me like a wave. Unbareable knifing pain in my upper right side. 6 hours later I had emergency exploratory surgery to repair bowel and I also had peritonitis.

I was wondering if anyone had some similar experiences with the post-op pains. I still have pain in my guts in all different locations. I get real bad pain on the right side from lower and sometimes under the right rib cage. Any comments or thoughts would be appreciated.

God Bless to all...

God Bless to all...
I am considering surgery to repair my tortuous colon. i have some questions I hope you can answer. From 1 to 10, how would you rate the pain? How long after surgery did it take to feel strong? Would you say it was worth it? Take care and feel well.
Z
I am SO glad I stumbled upon this forum! I had lower colon resecection after necrosis in 2008. In 98, I had the Nissen wrap for I hiatal hernia. Over the yrs, I've had to be stretched due ttotto dysphagia
. I think the dr mmade it too tight bwecaus
tched
. I think the dr made it too tight because food and liquids get stuck and I end regurgitating what little I get down. What goes down , starts the dumping marathon.  I find it worse  the am. It starts as soon as I   take a,drink of something and can last for 4-5 hrs. I even started taking Imodium (immodium) preventively! No help. Right now I'm living on Gatorade, bananas (the leg cramps are killing me), applesaucy, a little plain chicken sometimes. I lost 14 lbs in 3 wks. My GI dr is scoping both ends on Wed so hopefully we can figure this out. I have no energy. I get heart palps walking around the house. I just feel like crap! I'm so glad I'm not alone. I told my doc yesterday that I'm 49 & I'm gonna have to wear Depends! I was dead dog serious. That's when he said he would come to the hospital on his day off to do the scopes. Good doctor :)

hed
Hi I am looking for anyone out there with similar issues.had a sigmoid rejection in Sept of 2011,since then, lots if issues, however, main thing is now since the surgery I can no longer have a normal bm. It is humiliating and embarrassing as to my normal way of going.I must digitally remove stool several times a day.this is causing me great emotional distress.I believe a mistake occurred during surgery.now. new docs will not get involved and help, they just say,"it" can't be fixed , and there is nothing that can be done for you.almost as if they are covering for the surgeon.plans are to go out of state for new opinion.anyone out there encountered this complication? I chose the surgery after 2 cases of Diverticulitis and to prevent an emergency colostomy. Now, a colostomy would almost be a relief than going thru this daily.any thoughts? I have tried everything, diet,etc.thank you so much!  From distraught
Hi.  I had the surgery in Jan. 2008.  I feel for you as it took me quite a wile to recover as I am a baby for pain.  I would get constipated or diarrhea.  I don't understand why your doc says it can't be fixed.  I had the surgery for multiple episodes of Diverticulitis, about 6, that would not respond to oral antibiotics.  I ended up in the hospital Christmas Eve of 07, for a week to monitor me for rupture.  I went home with a picc line and had to infuse myself with levaquin and flagyl for a month to get the inflammation down.  Then, in Jan., I had the surgery.  I was seeing my surgeon for 4 months after surgery then released to my GI, who I ended up firing ( long story).  Now, I am doing okay but have other issues: degenerative disc disease, which I am in pain management for and take percoset.  I know there were a few times I had to digitally remove hard stool.  Also, don't wish for a colostomy bag as that was one of my biggest fears.  I was lucky I didn't have to have one.  I work full time and swore I wouldn't go to work with one.
I had part of my colon removed when I was 4 years old and again at age 28 now I am turning 30,I've had several obstructions through my life. I have diarrhea all of the time, rarely do ii have normal tool, when i pass gas it smells really bad, my stool tend to smell worst I have constant pain, sometimes severe pain, I've tried to live a normal life, when will the pain go away? Anyone else having this problem. Doctors do not want to give me narcotics because they fear it may cause obstructions. Marijuana its inlegal in my state what can I do?
I just had reversal.my butt is burning...im taking this whole deal in stride as best i canlearned to use humour ALOT!.)..was afraid carrying a pouch(bag)...thought now i will have hard time getting into.  relationship..with this extra baggage..who would want me!..jk..but i escaped cancer by having this procedure..and my life with.my sons and family will go on..no matter how much "TP".i go thru!...should be tax deductable!..lol..im alive and believe i have been given another shot at LIFE!!!..P.S..imma great listener and sweet supporter...cheerz all..barry
Cheers Barry it was one of the worst days of my life to find that i needed to loose 20cm of my bowel but in the end it has given me a life with my 3 children that I might not have had.  the recovery is hard especially learning how to adapt but its worth it in the long run
Hi Everyone
I know it's been a few years since anyone has written on here but I would be really really interested to know how your all getting on now so many more years down the track. Please let me know as I am 17 months down the track and have got a few stories to ad if anyone is still out there.
Hello Butafli, I still check from time to time. If you scroll up you will see my post of what happened to me. I will be 6 months out tomorrow and still have some issues. I hope you are well.
I don't know if you check this site anymore but wanted to say thank you. I had my sigmoid colon removed two years ago and my symptoms now seem as bad or worse as before the surgery. I'm still in the bathroom 6-7 times a day but that seems normal now. The concerning thing for me is the swelling. I can wake up looking fine but a few hous later my abdomen has swollen so much I have a muffin top. My surgeon and GI doctor say its normal but that is cold comfort. I am going to try cutting out complex carbs and see if that helps. Thanks to all who post here. It's nice to see I'm not alone.
Hang in there everyone, hopefully each day will be better.  It has been 5 years this past June since my bowel resection.  My chrons is still in remission.  My GI doc says I will always have loose bowels since they took over 3 feet of the small intestine.  However, most days are pretty good and I can live with this.  Just can't wait too long when I feel the urge.  But this is a small inconvience compared to the pain I use to have.  I had a colonoscopy not long ago and the GI couldn't believe that I had not had a flare up since surgery.  I give most of the credit to a great surgeon.  Best of luck to all of you.  Stay positive and stay happy.
Hi;

I am new on this site and just want to see if anyone was having the problems after colon resection that I am.  By the time I got have I had or started with these symptons;
1.  Diarrhea up to 20 X a day
2.  Cramping 2 kind- one like I am going to have period and the other from
     upset stomach.
3.  Lot of gas and gas pocket under rib area
4.  Nausea
5.  Bloating like I am 4 months PG, put on 8 pds.

Not sure if this is SIBO, IBS or just what it is.  The good news is the diarrhea or loose formed bowel is down to 4-6 times a day now.   It was 5 yrs ago I had colon resection and still looking for answer at why it caused these problems & how to get back to normal.  Fern
Thank god I found this site,I,am 42yrs old ,I had a double resection large an small bowel 2years ago an have had nothing but trouble since,anything I eat gives me gas I go to the toilet 20 times a day If I manage to go it,s diarrhea 80% of the time an the other 20% I push an strain for 1 hr for no result usually that's at 2 o'clock in the morning so my sleep pattern is excellent as you can imagine,until last night I thought I was the only person like this,I know it sounds bad but I feel heaps better knowing I am not alone!thank you all very much
Thankyou for everyones comments. My mother had a small bowel resection 3 months ago, has Clostridium difficile & has intermittent vomitting, adominal (abdominal) pain , bloating & diarhoea. Reading everyones history & problems is helping both of us. Wishing you all well.
What a wonderful site! I am almost 43. In 2007 I was diagnosed with colonic inertia. The MD thought it was r/t my having endometriosis. Anyway when asked it is easier to list what I have left in my torso as opposed to what has been removed. I have not been the same since. I seem to have a ton of health problems. I experienced the frequency and after the first year I became more regulated. I am always dehydrated and tired it seems these days. Not to mention I now get kidney stones and can't seem to loose weight. It is a vicious cycle. I am so glad I happened upon this sight. I was beginning to think I was losing my mind. My MD has not been very helpful in managing the aftermath. I sometimes think it was easier to deal with the colonic inertia. I was hardly ever sick prior now I catch everything. Anyone else having similar problems? Any helpful info would be greatly appreciated! I want my life back.
Hi All,

3 yrs ago i had my large bowel removed (yep, the whole lot!) due to severe ulcerative colitis and a narrowing in my large bowel. Thankfully my anal canal was not infected. The op is usually done in stages, with a colostomy bag fitted for the inbetween/healing stage, but i decided to be a bit of a guinea pig and had it done all in one go via 5hrs worth of keyhole surgery. Because of this i had to have a tube fitted for a week whilst in hospital so my inside could heal. Prior to the op my surgeon did tell me that having it done this way could reduce my chances of getting pregnant by 50%. I was wondering if anybody else has had it done this way and if so has getting pregnant been a problem?
I am female, age 63, health now, horrendous.  My problem after the resection, removal small bowel, some intestine?, appendix over one and half years ago, I am actually in the worst health of my entire life.  Now, all my levels are still off, I am anemic, and do not know which way to turn.  I am about ready to give it up.  Too old, and too much pain, and the fact that I am totally incontinent, (bowel) only adds to the issue.  I can't count the number of times I DASH to the bathroom daily, but I stay very sore and tender in the rectal area.  This is very embarassing to speak about, but I need to find an experienced ear and any and all information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much. .. Diane
My Daughter needs help! She is 32 yrs old and suffers from Crohn's has had 7 surgeries 2 were resections and the other 5 were to remove lesions. she has been on TPN for 2 years they think her small bowel is not absorbing water. We live in Saskatchewan and Drs are reluctant to send her anywhere else. They say let's wait and see,shes in contant pain and lives in a recliner. This is no life for anyone. Has anyone had or heard of a situation like this.
Thank you
I had a colon resection due to diverticulitis on July 3, 2013, and have exactly the same problem as you posted earlier in the year.  My sphincter muscle simply doesn't want to open normally as it did before.  I am now seeing a colo-rectal specialist who feels the issue is due to rectal and anal spasms, sometimes referred to as levator ani syndrome.  I have no idea why mine came about just after the surgery, but I am scheduled for anal Botox injections next week.  The idea is to stop the spasms, and relax the tension in the sphincter muscle.  I am in Charleston, SC, but there is also a neurologist at the Cleveland Clinic in Ft. Lauderdale Florida who does this.  She repeats it about every three months until the spasms subside,and I understand it has been successful for many people.  I understand your embarrassment, and I would not have been able to handle the past few months without my husband's support and understanding. It's awful, but you are not alone.  Please look into botox if you are still experiencing this problem, and also please let me know if yours got better or you found another treatment to resolve it!  
I thought I was the only one with the pain, bloating, fatigue, gas, nausea, 12+ times a day bouts with diarrhea, and now constipation. I read many stories and found comfort in knowing I'm not alone. I had emergency small bowel resection (22" removed) due to obstructions and gangrene on 2/11/13.
I had a small bowel resection in July of 2013 and am having problems with nausea and diarrhea, normally it starts with these horrible tasting burps, which I now recognize signal to me that in approximately 8 hours I will be throwing up and then the diarrhea hits.  The diarrhea has triggered hemerroids which really makes this a fun event.  One beneficial thing I think I can pass on, for the butt burning caused by diarrhea, keep plenty of Vicks Vapo-Rub and use it liberally, it's been a Godsend for me!!  I have no idea what triggers these events, first thought it was jalapenos and spicy food but lately I'm beginning to think it's just the way my life will be since the resection.
I am glad I found this site. I have some ? Hopefully someone may be able to help or tell me about your surgery. I have chrons I've always been sick an really bad flares in Dec2013 I had a blockage on my right side small bowel had for a year had exstrem pain. My GI said I needed surgery nothing was   goin through. In march 2014 I had a foot of small intestine removed an reconnection. I'm 6 wks out an I don't feel any better I have terrible pain in my side an stomach my incision hurts had lap surgery. Has anyone had pain this bad incision pain dihrea 20 times a day I have no appetite I don't want to drink anything or eat I'm exhausted  all the time I can't sleep. The 2nd day after surgery I still had a epaderal block I had dihrrea 40 or more times an bending up an down to get out the hospital bed was the worst pain inside. I feel that slowed my recovery. I'm not feeling better in pain can't stop go in to the bathroom. I also have a swollen belly. If anyone has had similar issues plz let me know. Besides all that I have really bad gas that has a sickening smell. Is this ever go in to get better?
I had my first resection in 2001 from a botched surgery ( my bowel was pulled into my incision). was left 3 weeks with obstruction before a different doctor saved my life, anyway, they only removed about 2 inches of necrotic bowel, one year later had another foot of large and foot of small removed. now 12 years later I am still having massive amounts of diarrhea, and for 2 weeks now worst headache in years, fatique, rib pain, diarrhea within 10 minutes after eating...tried all of the diets, tried all of the meds, supplements, fed up. No good GI in my town, and feel like a hypochondriac ( I am a nurse too so I make aterrible patient) have colonoscopy few years back and said slight narrowing of a spot and redness.....help!!!!
Viewing 201-301 comments: