Problems after bowel resection
This discussion is related to Problems after bowel resection.

In February 2006 I had an emergency bowel resection.  For no apparent reason, a large portion of my small intestine had twisted and the blood supply to my intestine had been cut off and died.  About 40% of my small intestine (ileum and ileocecal valve) had to be removed.  For the next 2-3 months I had horrible diarrhea after everything I ate.  Within one week I went from 135 lbs. to 115 lbs.  I followed a very low-fiber, low-fat, bland diet.  My surgeon told me that I would suffer from diarrhea for the rest of my life and would have to control it with medication.  My doctor told me that things would get better in time, it just takes awhile for the remaining intestine to adapt.  It took about 6 months for me to maintain a weight of 120 lbs.  (I am 5' 4").    

It's been almost 2 years now and I have problems every day with digestion.  I have diarrhea every morning that lasts sometimes until about noon (some days are worse than others), and the rest of the day I have digestive pain, cramps, sometimes bloating and gas from whatever I eat.  I have tried cutting out certain foods but there doesnt seem to be any rhyme or reason to what causes my discomfort.  I know I am now lactose intolerant and cannot break down fats because of my ileum being removed but sometimes even just a piece of toast will not sit well.  I've recently started taking digestive enzymes to help break down fat, carbs, proteins, milk sugar, and fiber.  The suggested use is 1 capsule before each meal but I take 2 with regular meals and 1 with snacks.  The enzymes have helped considerably with the digestive discomfort (bloating and gas) but I still have diarrhea which I dont expect to every go away.

I've spent the last 2 years trying to find information on life after a bowel resection but I havent had any luck.  I went to see a nutrionist through my medical provider but ended up teaching her a few things about malabsorption.  I get monthly B-12 injections, take a multi-vitam, calcium, magnesium, and probiotics daily, and drink about a gallon of water everyday.  I've had to go to the emergency room a few times for intravenous fluid due to dehydration.

I'm a stay-at-home mom of a very handsome 1 year old so I am always near the bathroom but on the days I am away from home I usually dont eat for fear that my tummy will act up.  Food is no longer a joy, it is a complete hassle.  Anyone out there with the same kind of problem?  I would love to get some advice on how to cope and what things that have helped you to suffer less.
I am considering surgery to repair my tortuous colon. i have some questions I hope you can answer. From 1 to 10, how would you rate the pain? How long after surgery did it take to feel strong? Would you say it was worth it? Take care and feel well.
Z
I am SO glad I stumbled upon this forum! I had lower colon resecection after necrosis in 2008. In 98, I had the Nissen wrap for I hiatal hernia. Over the yrs, I've had to be stretched due ttotto dysphagia
. I think the dr mmade it too tight bwecaus
tched
. I think the dr made it too tight because food and liquids get stuck and I end regurgitating what little I get down. What goes down , starts the dumping marathon.  I find it worse  the am. It starts as soon as I   take a,drink of something and can last for 4-5 hrs. I even started taking Imodium preventively! No help. Right now I'm living on Gatorade, bananas (the leg cramps are killing me), applesaucy, a little plain chicken sometimes. I lost 14 lbs in 3 wks. My GI dr is scoping both ends on Wed so hopefully we can figure this out. I have no energy. I get heart palps walking around the house. I just feel like crap! I'm so glad I'm not alone. I told my doc yesterday that I'm 49 & I'm gonna have to wear Depends! I was dead dog serious. That's when he said he would come to the hospital on his day off to do the scopes. Good doctor :)

hed
Hi I am looking for anyone out there with similar issues.had a sigmoid rejection in Sept of 2011,since then, lots if issues, however, main thing is now since the surgery I can no longer have a normal bm. It is humiliating and embarrassing as to my normal way of going.I must digitally remove stool several times a day.this is causing me great emotional distress.I believe a mistake occurred during surgery.now. new docs will not get involved and help, they just say,"it" can't be fixed , and there is nothing that can be done for you.almost as if they are covering for the surgeon.plans are to go out of state for new opinion.anyone out there encountered this complication? I chose the surgery after 2 cases of Diverticulitis and to prevent an emergency colostomy. Now, a colostomy would almost be a relief than going thru this daily.any thoughts? I have tried everything, diet,etc.thank you so much!  From distraught
Hi.  I had the surgery in Jan. 2008.  I feel for you as it took me quite a wile to recover as I am a baby for pain.  I would get constipated or diarrhea.  I don't understand why your doc says it can't be fixed.  I had the surgery for multiple episodes of Diverticulitis, about 6, that would not respond to oral antibiotics.  I ended up in the hospital Christmas Eve of 07, for a week to monitor me for rupture.  I went home with a picc line and had to infuse myself with levaquin and flagyl for a month to get the inflammation down.  Then, in Jan., I had the surgery.  I was seeing my surgeon for 4 months after surgery then released to my GI, who I ended up firing ( long story).  Now, I am doing okay but have other issues: degenerative disc disease, which I am in pain management for and take percoset.  I know there were a few times I had to digitally remove hard stool.  Also, don't wish for a colostomy bag as that was one of my biggest fears.  I was lucky I didn't have to have one.  I work full time and swore I wouldn't go to work with one.
I had part of my colon removed when I was 4 years old and again at age 28 now I am turning 30,I've had several obstructions through my life. I have diarrhea all of the time, rarely do ii have normal tool, when i pass gas it smells really bad, my stool tend to smell worst I have constant pain, sometimes severe pain, I've tried to live a normal life, when will the pain go away? Anyone else having this problem. Doctors do not want to give me narcotics because they fear it may cause obstructions. Marijuana its inlegal in my state what can I do?
I just had reversal.my butt is burning...im taking this whole deal in stride as best i canlearned to use humour ALOT!.)..was afraid carrying a pouch(bag)...thought now i will have hard time getting into.  relationship..with this extra baggage..who would want me!..jk..but i escaped cancer by having this procedure..and my life with.my sons and family will go on..no matter how much "TP".i go thru!...should be tax deductable!..lol..im alive and believe i have been given another shot at LIFE!!!..P.S..imma great listener and sweet supporter...cheerz all..barry
Cheers Barry it was one of the worst days of my life to find that i needed to loose 20cm of my bowel but in the end it has given me a life with my 3 children that I might not have had.  the recovery is hard especially learning how to adapt but its worth it in the long run
Hi Everyone
I know it's been a few years since anyone has written on here but I would be really really interested to know how your all getting on now so many more years down the track. Please let me know as I am 17 months down the track and have got a few stories to ad if anyone is still out there.
Hello Butafli, I still check from time to time. If you scroll up you will see my post of what happened to me. I will be 6 months out tomorrow and still have some issues. I hope you are well.
I don't know if you check this site anymore but wanted to say thank you. I had my sigmoid colon removed two years ago and my symptoms now seem as bad or worse as before the surgery. I'm still in the bathroom 6-7 times a day but that seems normal now. The concerning thing for me is the swelling. I can wake up looking fine but a few hous later my abdomen has swollen so much I have a muffin top. My surgeon and GI doctor say its normal but that is cold comfort. I am going to try cutting out complex carbs and see if that helps. Thanks to all who post here. It's nice to see I'm not alone.
Hang in there everyone, hopefully each day will be better.  It has been 5 years this past June since my bowel resection.  My chrons is still in remission.  My GI doc says I will always have loose bowels since they took over 3 feet of the small intestine.  However, most days are pretty good and I can live with this.  Just can't wait too long when I feel the urge.  But this is a small inconvience compared to the pain I use to have.  I had a colonoscopy not long ago and the GI couldn't believe that I had not had a flare up since surgery.  I give most of the credit to a great surgeon.  Best of luck to all of you.  Stay positive and stay happy.
Hi;

I am new on this site and just want to see if anyone was having the problems after colon resection that I am.  By the time I got have I had or started with these symptons;
1.  Diarrhea up to 20 X a day
2.  Cramping 2 kind- one like I am going to have period and the other from
     upset stomach.
3.  Lot of gas and gas pocket under rib area
4.  Nausea
5.  Bloating like I am 4 months PG, put on 8 pds.

Not sure if this is SIBO, IBS or just what it is.  The good news is the diarrhea or loose formed bowel is down to 4-6 times a day now.   It was 5 yrs ago I had colon resection and still looking for answer at why it caused these problems & how to get back to normal.  Fern
Thank god I found this site,I,am 42yrs old ,I had a double resection large an small bowel 2years ago an have had nothing but trouble since,anything I eat gives me gas I go to the toilet 20 times a day If I manage to go it,s diarrhea 80% of the time an the other 20% I push an strain for 1 hr for no result usually that's at 2 o'clock in the morning so my sleep pattern is excellent as you can imagine,until last night I thought I was the only person like this,I know it sounds bad but I feel heaps better knowing I am not alone!thank you all very much
Thankyou for everyones comments. My mother had a small bowel resection 3 months ago, has Clostridium difficile & has intermittent vomitting, adominal pain , bloating & diarhoea. Reading everyones history & problems is helping both of us. Wishing you all well.
What a wonderful site! I am almost 43. In 2007 I was diagnosed with colonic inertia. The MD thought it was r/t my having endometriosis. Anyway when asked it is easier to list what I have left in my torso as opposed to what has been removed. I have not been the same since. I seem to have a ton of health problems. I experienced the frequency and after the first year I became more regulated. I am always dehydrated and tired it seems these days. Not to mention I now get kidney stones and can't seem to loose weight. It is a vicious cycle. I am so glad I happened upon this sight. I was beginning to think I was losing my mind. My MD has not been very helpful in managing the aftermath. I sometimes think it was easier to deal with the colonic inertia. I was hardly ever sick prior now I catch everything. Anyone else having similar problems? Any helpful info would be greatly appreciated! I want my life back.
Hi All,

3 yrs ago i had my large bowel removed (yep, the whole lot!) due to severe ulcerative colitis and a narrowing in my large bowel. Thankfully my anal canal was not infected. The op is usually done in stages, with a colostomy bag fitted for the inbetween/healing stage, but i decided to be a bit of a guinea pig and had it done all in one go via 5hrs worth of keyhole surgery. Because of this i had to have a tube fitted for a week whilst in hospital so my inside could heal. Prior to the op my surgeon did tell me that having it done this way could reduce my chances of getting pregnant by 50%. I was wondering if anybody else has had it done this way and if so has getting pregnant been a problem?
Hi Woogie, I had a total colectomy in 1993. So 24 years ago. My children are now 10 & 9. I had no problem conceiving. I still have to contend with the diahorrea and excessive gas though. I find the gas the hardest as it's so unsociable and embarrassing.
I am female, age 63, health now, horrendous.  My problem after the resection, removal small bowel, some intestine?, appendix over one and half years ago, I am actually in the worst health of my entire life.  Now, all my levels are still off, I am anemic, and do not know which way to turn.  I am about ready to give it up.  Too old, and too much pain, and the fact that I am totally incontinent, (bowel) only adds to the issue.  I can't count the number of times I DASH to the bathroom daily, but I stay very sore and tender in the rectal area.  This is very embarassing to speak about, but I need to find an experienced ear and any and all information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much. .. Diane
My Daughter needs help! She is 32 yrs old and suffers from Crohn's has had 7 surgeries 2 were resections and the other 5 were to remove lesions. she has been on TPN for 2 years they think her small bowel is not absorbing water. We live in Saskatchewan and Drs are reluctant to send her anywhere else. They say let's wait and see,shes in contant pain and lives in a recliner. This is no life for anyone. Has anyone had or heard of a situation like this.
Thank you
I had a colon resection due to diverticulitis on July 3, 2013, and have exactly the same problem as you posted earlier in the year.  My sphincter muscle simply doesn't want to open normally as it did before.  I am now seeing a colo-rectal specialist who feels the issue is due to rectal and anal spasms, sometimes referred to as levator ani syndrome.  I have no idea why mine came about just after the surgery, but I am scheduled for anal Botox injections next week.  The idea is to stop the spasms, and relax the tension in the sphincter muscle.  I am in Charleston, SC, but there is also a neurologist at the Cleveland Clinic in Ft. Lauderdale Florida who does this.  She repeats it about every three months until the spasms subside,and I understand it has been successful for many people.  I understand your embarrassment, and I would not have been able to handle the past few months without my husband's support and understanding. It's awful, but you are not alone.  Please look into botox if you are still experiencing this problem, and also please let me know if yours got better or you found another treatment to resolve it!  
I thought I was the only one with the pain, bloating, fatigue, gas, nausea, 12+ times a day bouts with diarrhea, and now constipation. I read many stories and found comfort in knowing I'm not alone. I had emergency small bowel resection (22" removed) due to obstructions and gangrene on 2/11/13.
I had a small bowel resection in July of 2013 and am having problems with nausea and diarrhea, normally it starts with these horrible tasting burps, which I now recognize signal to me that in approximately 8 hours I will be throwing up and then the diarrhea hits.  The diarrhea has triggered hemerroids which really makes this a fun event.  One beneficial thing I think I can pass on, for the butt burning caused by diarrhea, keep plenty of Vicks Vapo-Rub and use it liberally, it's been a Godsend for me!!  I have no idea what triggers these events, first thought it was jalapenos and spicy food but lately I'm beginning to think it's just the way my life will be since the resection.
I am glad I found this site. I have some ? Hopefully someone may be able to help or tell me about your surgery. I have chrons I've always been sick an really bad flares in Dec2013 I had a blockage on my right side small bowel had for a year had exstrem pain. My GI said I needed surgery nothing was   goin through. In march 2014 I had a foot of small intestine removed an reconnection. I'm 6 wks out an I don't feel any better I have terrible pain in my side an stomach my incision hurts had lap surgery. Has anyone had pain this bad incision pain dihrea 20 times a day I have no appetite I don't want to drink anything or eat I'm exhausted  all the time I can't sleep. The 2nd day after surgery I still had a epaderal block I had dihrrea 40 or more times an bending up an down to get out the hospital bed was the worst pain inside. I feel that slowed my recovery. I'm not feeling better in pain can't stop go in to the bathroom. I also have a swollen belly. If anyone has had similar issues plz let me know. Besides all that I have really bad gas that has a sickening smell. Is this ever go in to get better?
I had my first resection in 2001 from a botched surgery ( my bowel was pulled into my incision). was left 3 weeks with obstruction before a different doctor saved my life, anyway, they only removed about 2 inches of necrotic bowel, one year later had another foot of large and foot of small removed. now 12 years later I am still having massive amounts of diarrhea, and for 2 weeks now worst headache in years, fatique, rib pain, diarrhea within 10 minutes after eating...tried all of the diets, tried all of the meds, supplements, fed up. No good GI in my town, and feel like a hypochondriac ( I am a nurse too so I make aterrible patient) have colonoscopy few years back and said slight narrowing of a spot and redness.....help!!!!
I had a bowel resection  after rectal cancer. It has been 8 years and I still suffer from all the things you do. Although that is no consolation there is some hope. Write down the trigger foods, (mine are certain vegetables, cottage cheese, chocolate, asian food(which I love).and many more. My bowel problem is not as frequent as I have started to juice for my main meals. At breakfast I eat oatmeal/high fiber cereal. If you juice it is easier for your bowels to deal with.Hope it helps as I feel for your plight.
Shelly, I'm so sorry to hear about your situation.  I also had a surgery, mine was for colorectal cancer, and had a leak with fecal matter everywhere, septic shock, induced coma and all that stuff.  After working so hard to get ahead, I understand the frustration of having the rug pulled out from under you.  I worked my way through school and college, and had a good paying job.  Like most on here, I've been told that the docs don't see why I'm in pain, 4 surgeries and countless procedures later.

Now on Medicare, and all meds are not covered.  It's so frustrating! Having pain, everywhere, especially in low back, but inflammation everywhere else!  I did find a local therapist that did PT to release some of the scars/adhesions as I could not put my hands over my head before.  I have lots of issues with constipation, parts of my intestines don't seem to work at all.  Linzess helped out with that after years of trying everything else.  

A word of warning to all that have had a gut leak, it can cause internal abscesses that form to "protect" your body from the fecal matter that leaked.  I had 3 of these, they were rather large, and the docs and hospitals said they were ovarian, even though lost ovaries in surgery 1.  Finally, after several years, one broke, infection in body all over again.  So watch out for the "cysts", they didn't test them and they were very painful.  It was another trauma, but I was happy when it broke because it could finally be drained.
Question, I had a bowel resection, leak, coma, infection, septic shock, and so forth.  Several surgeries.  Now, I have a lot of back pain that I can't control.  I've tried everything to keep it under control in the way of meds, nerve blocks, therapy, injections and so forth.  It feels like something is stuck, pulling, electric.  Reading on here, it sounds like the same problem many have had.  I had similar issues in abdomen, some PT helped that to some degree, still have bloating, big blobs in gut, problems digesting, but I can put my hands over my head.  I was never able to get anyone to work on my low back.  I don't know how you would tell if you had adhesions.  I had a lot of infection, MRSA, E Coli, and others.  Tied to a bed, so I guess things settled in my back?  I have nerve damage in bowels and bladder.  Does anyone know how you can find out if adhesions are the culprit?  I live in the south.  I'm limited as far as travel, but if I could find a doc that could help, I would find a way.  I have a friend in Florida.  It's very frustrating how many times I hear "this is odd, most people don't have these problems!".  Do they say that to everyone?  One doc admitted my guts "looked like a train wreck", but also added he wouldn't touch me with a 10 foot pole because "things" were not where they were supposed to be.  It looks like Lyrica has helped some? I've tried that, and it didn't help.  How long does it take before it works?  I really wish someone would just get a knife, cut my back open and take a look, it sounds desperate I know, but I have run out of options.  
Hello Sue, did your hubby get the experimental back procedure? Do you mind if I ask what it was?  I have severe back pain, I have stenosis but the pain started after the colorectal resection and never improved.  I wish I could find a doctor that might be willing to look at my back, I would be very willing to try anything! After having so many complications, it seems most docs don't want to mess with me.  My records listed me as a "high risk" due to issues encountered with leak during surgery, at least I guess that's what it is.  I didn't self implode! My guts started leaking, comments said probably misfired staples, discovered days afterwards.  I hope you are feeling OK as well.
Sorry you are having a tough time, I had to have my Colon removed due to infection, worst the surgeon had ever seen though he was quite young but in charge, my symptom's were blood in stool and non-stop diarrhea for a month or so, after 3 days call your doctor!! had I waited another week I would've been dead, in hospital for 21 days with no food or drink until last day, I had the bag for about 6 months, not cool, doctor said he would make me a whole man again after 6 months, great I said now near 9 years later and taking only Anti-Diarrhea pills (for life) I felt about 99%, my stool is still very loose, I have a port-a-potty in my man cave in the basement since leaving the hospital, going often, just couldn't make it to the toilet in time, I'm 60 yrs old now working On-Call 24/7 but I still have problems more so at night, I quit drinking any alcohol after 6oz of beer put me on the toilet for a few hours but it took a 2nd try to be sure, I went to my doctor about a month ago because I had seen a very small amount of blood and a lot of pressure like a No.2 with nothing, waiting to see the gas doctor, buts are big business lol, I have to use a special crème because of the sensitivity of going so often and I usually sit for quite a long time while in private watching TV and doing numerous puzzles, when I get up to maybe try going to bed I got to go again, it's been near 2am before getting to sleep but usually up again by 4:30am, 5, 6:10am, etc. until I get my first call for service, do a quickie, lube up and good for a while or most of the day, once I eat something then things get worse, I don't have any stomach issues just a sensitive pooper, there was a time after having the bag removed that I wanted it back, maybe in the future they could just cap off where the bag goes then like now I could hook it back up until my booty has a chance to heal up, however I'm still active yet close to home and alive, I hope for the best for all of us that have had to endure so much discomfort.  
Hi all I've been reading all your posts and I'm glad to see I'm not going mad. I had an emergency resection 2 years august. They took out just over half a metre some small and some large intestine. Due to adhesions caused by previous surgery but it had twisted cutting off the blood supply. I was in hospital for 3 days before being rushed to theatre as I was then septic. I was on a ventilator for just over a week lost 2 stone in weight and was in hospital for 5 weeks. Had numerous blood transfusions and pneumonia and an infection as well just to top it all off. Life still isn't back to normal even now 2 years later have an incisional hernia which the doctors won't touch as they don't want to take me back into theatre as they really lost me last time. Like everyone I have good days and really bad days still have diarrhoea and gas but I've come to the conclusion that it's not going to change so I might as well eat what I want but remember that I alone have to pay for the consequences of doing that. The only problem I have is my poor children my eldest was 11 when it happened and he has struggled with the fact he almost lost his mum and my youngest was 6 the hospital don't give any help to the children to understand what is happening. Good luck to everyone and maybe one day we all might be " normal "
I am almost 8weeks post small bowel re-section (emergency) in which a single adhesion form a laparoscopic tubal ligation (20 years ago) had created a closed loop obstruction (ischemia - dead bowel).  Surgeon removed 18".  After the first week post discharge from hospital developed a Seroma at incision site which took weeks to get fully drained and regranulated.  Had normal bowel movements for a few weeks, but have had diarrhea ever since.  Was told to each much more soluble fiber (cooked, not raw).  That seemed to help somewhat although it's hard to force it down.  Am concerned about SIBO.  Does anyone have experience with that?  From reading the threads it seems that I am in early recovery from major surgery and may be expecting too much too soon,   I can relate to those who have sheer terror of another bowel obstruction.  I found a very interesting website, and though my surgeon only say the one adhesion, now that I've been fully opened up, who knows if that created more.  The site is called www.clearpassage.com.  I am considering treatment just in case.  I don't think I could survive another bowel obstruction.  The woman who created this method of clearing adhesions non surgically has been through it all.  I am so grateful that she and her husband have developed a method to save people from such agony (Wurn technique).  They are training others and clinics have opened and are opening all over the U.S.  (and in England).  I urge everyone in this forum to study their site.  Even if the original abdominal surgery wasn't due to adhesions, they can form after ANY abdominal surgery.  just4thisnow, I joined this community after reading your post as you are wondering how to tell if adhesions were the culprit.  I want to share this info and also heal my digestive system.  Has anyone been put on probiotics?  Am wondering if it's too early to be on them as they seem to cause me more diarrhea, or is it something I just have to stay on until they have a chance to do their job?  Thanks in advance for any input and wish all of you well.  This has been quite an eye opener that I never knew anything about until now
I'm new at this, whiskers36 is my name. Do you have any insight for some who has suffered since 1994?
Just returned two days ago from the hospital, after having two feet of my colon removed.  Was in excrutiating pain before I left there, and then felt almost "human" yesterday.  Unfortunately, I had company and overdid it rather than rest, so today I am paying the consequences.  Today, I seem to feel worse, even though I have not done much and it's way too hot outside to consider walking, as instructed by my surgeon.  Monitoring my temperature to make sure it doesn't spike for next few days so I won't need an emergency colonoscopy (he said it was possible, which scared the heck out of me).  Living on my own with no help is going to be a challenge for the next few weeks -- especially if I drop something!
I read many of the posts on this blog and am very impressed with the bravery of each and every one of you.  This was my fourth abdominal surgery, the first for this, though.  I only pray for the strength that I've seen here.  I'm so glad I found this website, and will continue to read it for the inspiration.  Thanks, everyone, and I'll pray for each of you a speedy recovery!
happy to have found this site. I was wondering if I was going to always look pregnant and have my waist back. A year is a long time, especially at my age. I am lucky that I have had the pain to already subside, three months out. Over doing definitely sets you back and I notice I bloat more as well. I was constantly constipated before but no longer have that problem. I do have to watch what I eat, no leafy vegetables, etc. I admit that I am vain and the huge stomach is killing me. I walk daily but do not feel I can begin a work out plan again just yet. The doc said I had a lot going on in there and that I need to be patient. I am 66 years old and don't have a lot of years left to be patient, I have always worked out and kept myself in decent physical condition, I lived like I was 46 instead of 66. This has definitely put me in my place! Sad to have been so dedicated to staying fit and become aged overnight with a big belly and tremendous gas if I don't watch carefully what I eat! Sorry that some of you have so much pain, I am fortunate that mine is not so bad. Still some pain but not so much to have to take pain pills. I walk a lot though and I do it daily, morning and night, no matter the weather. Maybe that has helped. Thank you all for sharing.
I just logged onto this site for the first time today. Thank you all for the advice and openness.  I had 14 inches of my Colon removed 5 months ago.
My problems seem different  than others in that  I am always tired and always hungry. Everyone seems to lose weight but i just keep gaining. I am always nauseous and pick gluten free junk food carbs, muffins, cookies, pretzels. I cant seem to digest  fruits or veggies. I wish I had diarrhea bc I have incomplete soft bowel movements that won't completely pass. I am 43, have. Celiac and elected to have sugery bc of rectal prolapse. My dr. Said it would be "a piece of cake." Maybe for him...not for me. I chose to do it now than attempt mesh ties that would be very likely to result in surgery at an age where  recovery would be even harder.  I was told not to eat fiber which was all new to me. I am (or was) very fit and active and a healthy eater. Please help.I am desperate. I gained 12 lbs am tired bloated gassy, abdominal pain and rectal pain and pressure. I can't say it was better having half my intestines outside my body, but this is  close to being worse. I am at my wits end. I take dulcolax and a laxative to try to cause diarrhea so the bm's don't just break off mid poop.  Where do I get these enzymes, what are they called and what's that other product some people mentioned?
Sorry so LONG.
I am miserable and will try the no complex carb diet books.  Thanks for ANY responsez.
I just found this site.  I had 2 feet (61 cm) of my small bowel removed at the end of June after emergency surgery for a complete bowel obstruction.  I have gone from having constant diarrhea to being completely constipated (no happy medium here!). I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem for such a long time after surgery; it's been 4 months for me.  I am also currently on iron infusions.  Any input/advice would be welcomed.

Hi everyone I hope this board is still being used by people. I've just recently had a quarter of my colon removed (I'm 23). It's only been 2 weeks post surgery but I'm kind of freaking out. I have bowel movements in the morning (6-7 times) afternoon (not as much because I try not to eat) and evening (all the time.) the gas is horrendous and explosive.. I'm very embarrassed :( but I'm supposed to be back at work in about 4 weeks. Is there anything you guys can fill me in on? I have metimucil but I'm scared to use it because I don't want to poop more :'( please help me
Hi, I had 40 cm small bowel removed 20 months ago and have been constipated since. I have to take Movical every day, this keeps things moving.

By tappler | 1 minute

Wait_arrows  Report

..

.

I had a small bowel resection 18 months ago and have been very constipated since. I use Movical every day.
Before my operation, I used to eat oats with whole linseeds every morning.  I am afraid to eat the whole linseeds now. Has anyone else eaten normally again and eaten linseeds?  The powdered linseeds seems to make me more constipated now (not sure why).  Also, can I eat potato skins (jackets) again and tomato skins etc.  I wasn't given much advice on diet. It would be nice to be able to not use the Movical every day.
Same. I go 10 to 15 hrs. a day for a 40 plus hr. work week for 9 years, to be able to work a full time job. The worst foods, bad carbs, hold be together a little better but now my body stores fat. I've gained 50 pounds. My life is shattered. I cannot socialize any more. Why can't they come up with a drug to stop this. Nothing has worked. Ruined my life.
After 7 bouts of Diverticulitis I had elective surgery on Jan. 25, 2016.  Let me just say that I have Grave's Disease and Micro Colitis, and have managed very well for 7 years.  I started living the Paleo Diet way and had my Grave's in  remission.  My colitis was manageable for me.....3-5 times in the morning.  I was a very active 48 yr. old mom.  I had an active social calendar, with rarely any problems.

After hearing from some friends of successful surgeries, I made the choice to have the resection of my lower sigmond colon.  

I am feeling like I made the biggest mistake of my life!!!  My right side feels tight all the time, becoming really unbearable by night.  MY bm's are frequent and small....always feeling like I need to finish.  I am not taking any pain medications and have not in 12 days.  

I am eating : mashed potatoes, squash - no skins, jello, pudding, almond milk.  I am bloated and in pain by end of day.  

Any advice?  

Hello I am sorry to hear about what you are dealing with. I to have had exactly the same issues you are encountering and from 12 years to date since I have had 3 feet of my intestines removed, I have had severe chronic pain and diarrhea. I  have seen many doctors and had many test over this (which pretty much all appear fine) and they either claim I shouldn't be having the pain or their is nothing that they can see causing it or what most say is it is just simple a complication from the surgery and their is not much can be done other than to manage it with proper nutrition and pain meds. It has unfortunately been a miserable existence since having these issues. The only thing I have found to help with the pain is prescription pain meds and even then my doctors wont give enough to fully help with the pain, but this has been the only thing I have found to help and give me a somewhat halfway normal life. Hope this helps you, sorry I don't have more info for you, but maybe pain meds will help you too! And at least know you are not alone!  
I had an Emergency Bowel Resection in 2009 and have had all the problems you described.  I really appreciate you taking the time to post your experience.  Thank You!
I am so glad to have found this group,thank God I am not the only one to wonder and worry about the bathroom trips,gas issues and bloating etc.I am 9 weeks into recovery from a sm.bowel resection they took almost 3 feet out,I was an emergancy surgery done immediately due to a white blood cell count of over 30,000 from a long time hernia that turned into dead bowel and an aneurysm that came from this.the aneurysm exploded and we'll, I was in so much pain,they put me in a medical coma for 2 days till they could find a hospital equipped to do the operation.I don't have any memory of the first 2 weeks from the moment I was rushed to the er till the 10 day or so after that.I had no Idea of what was done or how it would affect my life after,everything I have learned has been by reading on the pc.and going to the emergancy dep.4 weeks after the surgery with bleeding.salads were my favorite food now I can not eat them.I am not digesting any of my veggies and let me tell ya it's shocking how much a tiny piece of lettuce can hurt when not digested...I find I have to force myself to eat cause the pain is so much..I have been seeing alot on what they call short bowel syndrome and wonder if anyone has any info on this they can share. To all of you going threw the same thing,I hope things get better for you soon.
I was feeling fine but I have FAP which had a high chance of causing colon cancer. They took out my colon and did the j-pouch and illeostomy for a few months. Before this procedure I also had a tumor removed in my abdomen that was entangled in my small intestines so 2-3 feet was removed from that as well. I was always having trouble after my colon removal. Since then I have narrowed it down fairly well to what's causing my problems almost a year ago. A lot of it is sulfites including wine, beer, modified food starches, corn starch, dextrose, corn syrup, grapes and grape extracts, artificial sweeteners, and other sulfite chemicals used in foods like breads. Even the medications I was on caused problems. I stopped taking lomotil but I have been on opium tincture for the last 4 months and that works ok. These things caused a bit of bleeding from my lower GI tract, anal stenosis, sometimes excruciating pain with bowel movements, more frequent bowel movements... I had been hospitalized so many times throughout the year I can't even count how many. All the advice the surgeon gave was bad - or even thinking like a reasonable person. - drink Gatorade, take lomotil and Imodium, probiotics, gas-x etc. most probiotics cause me bloating and the others contain the offending sulfite ingredients. I do have a problem with milk usually. But I can still drink coffee and not even go to the bathroom for 4-8 hours! No fake creamers though. Just half and half and sugar. Throw conventional wisdom out the window and keep a food diary. My symptoms would start usually 2 hours after eating the offending food. I have a 2 year old (and 8 year old) now - he was only 3 months old with my first surgery. So I feel for anyone having to go through this kind of pain and suffering, especially with little kids at home.
II take questran packets 1-2 packets daily. I had mine 2 years ago and was in a coma as I almost died. I developed septis from my small intestines after surgery it was punctured and no one knew until I became ill. Maybe look into this for your diarrhea. It has helped a lot of us...
Omg.finallyeffec is the first time I have read something that almost fits me to a T.I had colon cancer in 2014 it was found,but IT was a  couple of years before that. I did not have insurance so no one would help me. And then Obamacare Came Into effect ,by then I was Bleeding profusely out my rectum. I was diagnosed with colon cancer stage 2. I had chemotherapy around the clock and also radiation everyday. I had to wear a colostomy bag for 3 months and went through resection surgery and they removed approximately 12 inches of my intestines. I have chronic problems my bowels and cramps and constipation or diarrhea to the point but I cannot leave the house and I have to stay close to the bathROOM. I have little to no control and I use adult diapers a lot often. Not much of a life od I ied many medicines and homeopathic and get little to no relief. it is quite common for me to be up half the night running back and forth to the bathroom for 10-12 hours. and it's very painful after and during. No food specifically brings it on, no Rhyme or Reason. I do know what you're going through and I am constantly looking for answers. my gynecologist answer was to put me on Amitiza and that makes me go profusely until I am bleeding. He does not understand does not believe that I am pooping for that long period I tried to explain and I try he tells me to just go to bed and ignore it, if I was to do that I would make a terrible mess. sorry I have no helper answers I am looking for them myself..Karen
I have same problems , I has colon cancer three years ago.surgery, and chemo and ation. my balls are very overactive I lost a lot of intestines when they took my Tumor out. does not matter what I eat I still always have negative results  sometimes I poop all night sometimes all day sometimes both. I have tried everything I can think of and doctors prescriptions etc etc. I am so tired of dealing with it I have no life.
It's been nice to read your stories. I see that it's been years since there's been much said...so I hope we can reconnect and see how each other is doing.

I had my last colon surgery September of 2011. When I went back to my doctor because of bathroom problems, he pretty much told me to deal with it.

A little of my history...In 2009, I was 27 and diagnosed with cervical cancer. Though I had went to my paps, it had gone undetected until my body began to breakdown and while the gynologist sought answers, she saw the tumor with her naked eye! (Yes, that was a weird experience.)

The oncologist at MD Anderson gave me one year to live without treatments and sent me back to Ochsner in New Orleans (where I was living). The prescribed treatment was chemo and radiation. I was devastated because radiation was going to send my 27 year old body through menopause which ment no more children (thankfully God had blessed me with one in 2002). After treatments, the tumor was still there so they prescribed internal radiation - (I think that's what really messed me up.) Then, I had a radical hysterectomy. Everyone was happy the cancer was gone and I was still grieved at the loss of my dreams of birthing more children. (God did end up speaking to me about that and has used that loss and turned it into love for all children).

Free of cancer...yet I had a couple of bathroom accidents over the next couple of months. I whet back to the doctor and they ran all kinds of crazy tests. They found where my colon was restricted (I believe from the internal radiation). Oh, if I could do it over again.... I would never agreed to that first sigmoid resection....

I had a sigmoid resection...they said it once they got in their they saw my colon was VERY radiated which made it hard to work with... After going home, turns out I had a leak...I had an emergency surgery that landed me in the ICU - at that time I got my first ileostomy... After that, I had several more colon surgeries.

I got my first full time job in August 2011 right out of grad school (yes, two years of treatments and surgeries while I was in grad school - God carried me). My last surgery was September 2011. After thus last surgery....my bathroom problems were TERRIBLE!!! After reading many of your testimonies, y'all know what I mean (so I won't go into all that).

After a fun giving with girlfriends at a Mexican restaurant OUT OF TOWN, I had a terrible night with my stomach...absolutely terrible. I couldn't imagine living like these...especially 10, 20 years from now... I began to pray for healing and search for natural alternatives (Remember, my doctor pretty much just told me to deal with it and I recently went back to a GI specialists and they pretty much told me the only alternative would be a permanent ostomy...which is not an option right now.)

I think my life has improved some...I take a natural supplement that I get from a natural path, I take lots of Young Living Essential Oils..., yet I still have a ways to go.

My current symptoms are chronic diarrhea, gas, and a couple of days out of the month constipation. The diarrhea is terrible. The main pain I feel is my skin getting raw, at times very sharp pain in my rectum, and hemorrhoids.

I'm going to try to add some enzymes, and probiotics, and Ningxia Red. I may try to eliminate complex carbohydrates...I read that on here...I'm not sure about that. I really don't know anything that I can eat that won't give me problems.

I praying for wisdom, healing, and solutions. It's been over five years...and I still suffering... If you have ANYTHING that has worked for you, PLEASE SHARE. Thank you!