Problems after bowel resection
This discussion is related to Problems after bowel resection.

In February 2006 I had an emergency bowel resection.  For no apparent reason, a large portion of my small intestine had twisted and the blood supply to my intestine had been cut off and died.  About 40% of my small intestine (ileum and ileocecal valve) had to be removed.  For the next 2-3 months I had horrible diarrhea after everything I ate.  Within one week I went from 135 lbs. to 115 lbs.  I followed a very low-fiber, low-fat, bland diet.  My surgeon told me that I would suffer from diarrhea for the rest of my life and would have to control it with medication.  My doctor told me that things would get better in time, it just takes awhile for the remaining intestine to adapt.  It took about 6 months for me to maintain a weight of 120 lbs.  (I am 5' 4").    

It's been almost 2 years now and I have problems every day with digestion.  I have diarrhea every morning that lasts sometimes until about noon (some days are worse than others), and the rest of the day I have digestive pain, cramps, sometimes bloating and gas from whatever I eat.  I have tried cutting out certain foods but there doesnt seem to be any rhyme or reason to what causes my discomfort.  I know I am now lactose intolerant and cannot break down fats because of my ileum being removed but sometimes even just a piece of toast will not sit well.  I've recently started taking digestive enzymes to help break down fat, carbs, proteins, milk sugar, and fiber.  The suggested use is 1 capsule before each meal but I take 2 with regular meals and 1 with snacks.  The enzymes have helped considerably with the digestive discomfort (bloating and gas) but I still have diarrhea which I dont expect to every go away.

I've spent the last 2 years trying to find information on life after a bowel resection but I havent had any luck.  I went to see a nutrionist through my medical provider but ended up teaching her a few things about malabsorption.  I get monthly B-12 injections, take a multi-vitam, calcium, magnesium, and probiotics daily, and drink about a gallon of water everyday.  I've had to go to the emergency room a few times for intravenous fluid due to dehydration.

I'm a stay-at-home mom of a very handsome 1 year old so I am always near the bathroom but on the days I am away from home I usually dont eat for fear that my tummy will act up.  Food is no longer a joy, it is a complete hassle.  Anyone out there with the same kind of problem?  I would love to get some advice on how to cope and what things that have helped you to suffer less.
Oh my gosh, I've spent months trying to find someone with the same issues as myself.  I had emergency bowel resection in Nov 2007 and my life has been miserable since. I am in the bathroom 10 to 20 times a day and today it has been at least 30.  My doctor also told me it would take time because the ileum, (which is a crucial section), was removed.  
This is the result of the radiation treatments I had 23 years ago for cervical cancer.  The treatments have caused so much scar tisue that I had been having bowel obstructions more frequently.  
This sucks because you give up being invited to someone's house for fear of having to go to the bathroom.  And shopping, well you really have to know where the bathroom is or you may be in trouble.
I want my life back.  
It sounds like from what you are saying, this is going to take longer than what I was told.  Oh gosh, someone give us some advice!!        
Hi.  I am 3 months post op from an elective colon resection.  They removed about 7 inches of my sigmoid due to multiple episodes of diverticulitis that would not respond to the antibiotics.  Since then, my bowel movements have resumed what I guess is "normal".  I go about 3 or 4 times a day, usually in the morning, which is when I would go before the surgery.  As mine was elective ( did not rupture or stricture) it may be different for me.  But I can tell you that sometimes, at work, I get the urge and go as quickly as I can...lol.  I am a teacher but my students are aware of my surgery, etc.  I have gotten some great advice on this site from others who have gone through this and similar surgeries.  What I am being told is that the colon does not like to be "messed with" and can take awhile to get back to normal.  I also know my surgeon told me "3-6 months and even up to a year" before I "forget I had the surgery".  Hope this helps.
So many people out there with so many stories.  I would have never known had I not found this site. My initial post probably sounded like a a state of panic.  I had a very rough night.  But most days are like that and I am trying to find the pattern.  My gastroenterologist has me on a powder called Cholestyramine that you mix with water or juice two times a day.  If this is suppose to help, I hate to think of what life would be without it.  I just saw her last week and she tells me that there is nothing else and I should continue to take this every day.  She stated again that it is just going to take time for my system to heal. I lost over 20 pounds and have not been back to work since early November.  I know the foods to stay away from but does anyone know of foods that help this?  

Hi there, I just saw your post and wanted to let you know that I have some new information to share that I will post tomorrow.  It's late and my little one gets up very early.

Take care.
Good morning,

First of all, I'm so sorry to hear that you are going through this horrible ordeal but at the same time it's so nice to finally be in touch with someone who can relate to my situation.  I remember what you are going through right now...going to the bathroom so much and crying when I felt it coming because my behind was so sore from the acidity of the diarrhea (because the bile acid in your system isnt being absorbed).  A couple of things that helped me get through this phase is lots of baby diaper rash cream and Tucks pads (just tuck one between your cheeks for a little while and frequently...lol).  I took 4 months off from work to get through this part of the recovery and to regain my strength and even then was only able to go back to work 4 hours a day.  Although the diarrhea has not gone away for me (and never will apparently) it has become manageable.  I usually only need the bathroom the first part of the day and if I'm out and about and feel the urge coming, Ive been able to make it to a bathroom.

My recovery has been in phases.  Acidic diarrhea the first few months, then "normal" diarrhea with horrible gas and bloating (we're talking open all the windows, spray some lysol, and light some candles gas...just awful!), and now "normal" diarrhea with less lethal gas and bloating.

The diarhhea I can handle, its the gas and bloating that are my main complaint.  I went to see another gastro specialist recently who was very knowledgeable and helpful.  She suggested that I cut out all complex-carbohydrates from my diet because they are difficult for the intestines to break down.  The intestines produces enzymes that break down complex-carbs into simple-carbs in order to be absorbed.  Since I only have half of my intestines, it made sense that I just don't have enough enzymes to do the job (and taking enzyme supplements with my meals wasn't working well enough).  So the food is just sitting in there, undigested, fermenting and causing me a lot of discomfort (and embarrassment).  Since I've cut out complex-carbs (dairy, bread, rice, starches, etc.) I've had no gas or bloating and feel like I finally have control over my body again.  

Another complaint I have is being so tired every day.  She said that I need to replenish the electrolytes in my body by drinking a couple servings of pedia-lyte everday in addition to lots of water.  Pedia-lyte is too sugary sweet for me so I drink Smartwater instead (most grocery stores carry this).  Also, she said to exercise everyday...a 30 minute walk is good enough and get plenty of rest (both obvious suggestions).

If you are interested in the simple-carbohydrate diet, here is a book that will give you more information about it (just copy and paste the links):

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Vicious-Cycle-Intestinal-Through/dp/0969276818/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b/102-4768561-2300140

And there are a couple of cookbooks that I am using right now that are helping me to figure out this new way of eating:

http://www.amazon.com/Recipes-Specific-Carbohydrate-Diet-Lactose-Free/dp/159233282X

http://www.amazon.com/Eat-Well-Feel-Carbohydrate-Compliant/dp/0307339947/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1208530206&sr=1-1

Well, I hope some of this is helpful.  If I think of anything else I will be sure to post and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Take care and talk to you soon.
I am soooo happy to have found you.  You have given me so much hope and information.  And like you, I find it comforting to have someone to relate to.  You are so young to have had this done,  but I guess it affects all ages for many different reasons.  I am 52 years old 5'6" and 133 lbs.  and as I said,  went through years of bowel obstructions until my doctor said enough is enough.  
My mother has had three resections done (also due to bowel obstructions caused from radiation treatments).  She has suffered the opposite after her surgeries,  constipation.  I would take that in a heartbeat.  Her and I spend a lot of time together and wish we could combine our troubles.  That way we pretty much would have a normal bathroom life.
I laughed when I read the phases you went through because I am in the second phase.  It started about a week ago and thank goodness the temperature is almost high enough to be able to open the windows again.  I have a very understanding husband who says "just let it rip".  And the reast of my family down to the five grandchildren I have are all very understanding.  Friends are also considerate and understanding but I do not feel as comfortable about it with them so we do not go over to their houses or go out to eat like we once did.
I am honest when I state I am in the bathroom at least 20 times a day.  The diarrhea is pretty much an all day occurence with anywhere from a half hour to a few hours in between. Some nights after supper,  I am in the bathroom five to ten times.  I am so afraid to go back to work, but know it has to happen soon.  
I will check out the books you recommended since all I have is time right now.  
Thank you again for all your information.  I will keep you updated as the days go by.

Kim, (I hope that's right)

One thing that I forgot to tell you before was that the gastro specialist said it can take 2-5 years to get back to "normal".  She said for the amount that I had taken out (40%), I'm looking at closer to the 5 years...I'm not sure how much you had removed but if it was quite a bit it will probably take you some time as well.

It really helps to have an understanding family.  My husband proposed to me on February 14, 2006 and I went to the ER on February 21.  We were already living together so you can imagine how much pride I had to swallow when the "stink bombs" arrived.  It was so bad sometimes that he had to sleep in the guest room.  So embarrassing, especially for a girl.  He must really love me though because he still married me, lol.  I pretty much spent the first few months at home and occasionally chanced a trip to the grocery store in order to get out of the house.  It took awhile, but the diarrhea did get better and less frequent.  Just hang in there.  I broke down in tears so many times and felt like my life as I once knew it was over and couldnt imagine how I would cope.  But now, two years later, it is manageable.  Every day is a challenge when it comes to food and the whole digestive thing but it is getting better.  

Before I changed my diet, I had a very difficult time with going out for the day and going out to eat.  No matter what I ate, a few minutes later I would feel the gas coming and need to be aware of the nearest bathroom.  I still need to know where the bathrooms are but by cutting out the complex-carbs, I don't have to worry about the gas.  I highly suggest just giving it a try if you are suffering from that like I am.  A typical day for me now is scrambled eggs for breakfast, leftover dinner for lunch, grilled meat and a vegetable for dinner (make enough for lunch the next day).  I snack on fruit, nuts, and cheese throughout the day.  I've made a couple of the bread recipes in the cookbooks that use nut flour and they are nice to have around as a snack also but in no way replace the real thing!  I still eat the bad stuff every now and then (my husband treated me to Cold Stone last night) but at least now I know how it will affect me and I can be prepared for it.  This too is just a phase of the recovery, but I think it will be awhile before I can eat like a normal healthy person and not suffer for it.

I better get back to my laundry before my son wakes from his nap.  You can email me anytime at ***@****.

Take care~Ah'lai
Good morning,
Thanks again for all the information.  I did not have as much as you had taken out, but my doctor told me that the portion taken out that included the ileum is the section causing all the problems.  From reading other posts, it does not appear anyone has been put on the powder Cholestyramine, which makes me wonder if I need to just stop taking it and use a more natural approach.
You ended your last post giving me your e-mail address but it did not come through.  I wonder if the site blocks it out.  Here is mine---***@****.
Let me know if it came through.  My husband and I are going shopping now,  so I will talk with you later.  We'll see how this shopping trip turns out. haha.
Kim
Wow... I cannot believe that it has taken me seven years to find this community.  In 2000, at the age of 17, I was in a car accident.  I had emergency surgery and later found out that the doctors accidentally knicked my small intestines and I was leaking waste inside my body.  About 60% of my small intestines was destroyed and I had to have a ileostomy.  I have a reconstruction about 5 months later.  Anyway, seven years later, I am still suffering from having to use the restroom at least 12 -15 times a day, I have gas that you wouldn't believe (or maybe you would), and it is affecting my social life.  I am nervous to go anywhere after I have eaten.  I don't like to stay overnight at anyone's house.  My family is really supportive, but I just recently went through a devastating experience.  My roommate of 2 years told me this weekend that she could not live with me anymore because of my "bathroom problem."  Apparently, my problem is so "disgusting" that she is embarassed of me.  Needless to say, I was very hurt because I have been struggling with this problem for  years.  I know that dairy affects me badly and I try to stay with food I know bother me less, but it seems like sometimes it doesn't matter what I eat, I still have uncontrollable gas and the "poops."  Do you guys know of any natural supplements that I could take that could help?  Someone mentioned charcoal, but I don't know much about it.  I want to do as much as a I can for myself and for those around me.  
You also are so young to have gone through this.  It's too bad about your roommate, but I have found that people react to our situations in many different ways.  I wish I could help you with your question on natural supplements, but I can tell you in just the past week, I have regained some sort of a sane lifestyle. After waking up in the morning, I have to use the bathroom about five times.   As I have mentioned, I am on Cholestyramine.  On my own, I have changed it to once a day, in the AM.  I do not eat breakfast or lunch, just some crackers now and then.  I am able to have a peaceful day with maybe using the bathroom once. Before dinner, I have a few glasses of red wine, which I have discovered relieves diarrhea.  After dinner, I use the bathroom, but far less than what I was having to do.  
Yes I know it is not good to not eat all day, but I have to do what is best for me and that is not spend all my day in the bathroom.  Hopefully in time, things will improve, but this is the best alternative for now.
I have found that this surgery affects people in so many ways.  So many people out there that never say a word are passing you by on the streets, in the grocery store, at your work place and we never know.  How sad!
Good afternoon,
I'm so sorry to hear about everything you are going through.  I posted earlier about my surgery and my experiences so far so I dont want to bore you again with that (lol) but I do know how embarassing all of the digestive issues can be.  I had about 40% of my small intestines removed and suffered for about 2 years from horrible bloating and gas that could clear out a room.  The thing that has worked for me is to not eat complex carbohydrates.  My in-laws are visiting from Scotland right now and we just returned from a 5 day trip to Bodega Bay where we all stayed in the same vacation house.  I was so worried about them staying in our house and especially going on that trip together because I knew I would have to starve myself and even then go off and hide somewhere when the gas came about.  However, about a week before they arrived, I completely cut-out complex carbs and suffer from very little gas if any at all.  I still have diarrhea but that I can handle.  I highly suggest giving this a try.  Complex carbohydrates can be difficult for a normal person to digest so you can imagine how difficult it is for someone who is missing half of their intestines.  We just dont have enough enzymes to break down the complex carbs into simple carbs so the food just sits in there and ferments and then we bloat up and all that disgusting gas has to come out.  If you decide to give it a try, take a look at my earlier post for some more information or drop me a line at mylobster at gmail ******* (you too Kim :-)  

Take care and talk to you soon!
Ah'lai
FYI - since the site blocks out our e-mail address, I put it in my profile name.  If you would like to e-mail me, click on kimwilly and you can find my e-mail address.  Then I will have each of yours upon hearing from you.
Kim
I had emergency bowel resection surgery in January of 2008.  I had two pieces of my intestines removed, one a partially twisted large intestine (volvulous), which the doc said was hereditary and the other was an abcessed diverticulum pocket on my small intestine, which the doc said was unusual.  I came through surgery and recovered well, so I thought.... But ever since then have struggled with loose stools, gas, bloating, and weight gain.  At first I lost 15 pounds a couple of weeks after surgery, but now, even though I "go" 5 to 7 times a day, I have been gaining weight.  I have recently been taking magnesium calcite for the gas - which has helped immensely - I was becoming socially unacceptable in a room full of people!
In reading your testimonies - I know now that I have a long way to fully recover - or maybe I will just have to live with the way I am now.  I am 54 years old and have had great health my whole life - until now.  I am tired a lot - used to exercise all the time and run 25 miles a week - but now I can hardly make myself walk with my dog each morning.
Are any of you experiencing weight gain? Maybe it's just "that time of life" for me!
I am finding that this surgery affects people in so many ways.  Not sure the reasoning for this. ( Is it the different sections removed or our past lifestyles?)  Your weight gain may be due to the fact that you are not walking and running as much. I know, you will find the strength to return to that routine in time.
Just since my last post,  I have improved considerably.  And to think, I was ready to give up.  Yes, I have lost more weight, but I am in the bathroom far less.  I feel so much better about going out and being with friends, shopping, etc.  
I still am in the bathroom about ten times a day, but I can live with that.  I have more energy and my hands no longer shake.  I hope that in time you will improve.  My surgery was in November so hopefully that will be soon for you, but then again this surgery is unpredictable as to when recovery comes to a end.
Keep in touch.    

Good morning,

Im very sorry that you are going through this...its definitely life altering and very frustrating.  My surgery was in February 06 and I still struggle just about everyday.  Ive been trying to cut out complex carbohydrates as much as possible to relieve the bloating and gas but (like yesterday) I'm left feeling very hungry and weak.  I still struggle with feeling very tired most days but I am also chasing after my 14 month old son.  

My doctor gave me some suggestions for the fatigue...even though I drink a lot of water during the day she said that Im not replenishing the electrolytes in my body because of how much I go to the bathroom so she said to drink a couple servings of pedialyte everyday (I drink Smartwater instead because the pedialyte is too sugary sweet for me).  Also, she said to take a daily B-complex supplement, and in my case I have to take an iron supplement daily as well because I tend to run a little anemic.  I also get monthly B-12 injections.  The ileum (which is what I had removed) absorbs B-12 (amongst other things) so the injections really help with my energy level.  

I have heard that some people gain weight after this type of surgery, which doesnt make much sense because of how much you are going to the bathroom.  Have you talked to your doctor about this?  

Take care and keep in touch~Ah'lai

Thanks for the encouragement.  I will talk to my doctor about the weight gain. I have always gained weight easily - but I figured that after surgery it might be easier for me to lose weight.  Ha!  I haven't seen a doctor since about 2 weeks after surgery.  I had no idea that I would be having problems this long afterward.  I figured a couple of months and I would be back as good as new.
I am a strong person and hardly ever get sick. I live in the country and work hard outside, i.e., getting fire wood and working in the yard.  I am back at work full time but usually run to the bathroom 3 or 4 times in the morning and 2 times in the afternoon.  When the urge strikes - it strikes - there better be a bathroom available! Part of my job is picking up water samples from customers' homes... I have to make sure I know where a bathroom is when I go now - like at a store or gas station on my way there.  I will also try pedialyte.
Thanks again - I will stay in touch - I am glad to know others are going through the same stuff and it's not just me.  
Hi.  Thanks for all of your posts.  It is so glad to hear that others have the same issues.  I have a question.  I had an elective colon resection, 7 inches removed, on January 24th 2008.  I am doing better but still having some pain.  I remember surgeon saying it can take 3-6 months to "forget you had the surgery".  I go back to my GI for my first follow up, on the 19th of May.  I am going to discuss with him as surgeon mentioned possibly doing a CT, in July, if I was still having pain.  The pain is not horrible but still enough that I am still taking 1 to 1 and a half Vicodin a day.  I have a very low pain tolerance so others may not feel the need for the meds, but I feel I still need them as I am a teacher and it is hard working when in pain.  Please let me know about your pain levels.  I really appreciate all of the good feedback that I get from this site...
Sue 357 - I am so sorry that you experience pain after the surgery... The only pain I experience is gas pains now and then.  However, if I eat certain things I bloat up and my intestines gurgle a lot.  When I am bloated none of my pants fit - except the hig huggers - then my belly mushrooms over the top. I used to have a flat stomach - this is the first time in my life that I have had to suck it in - so to speak. I pray my pain doesn't come back like I had before surgery! I really don't want to go through that again!  One day at a time ... that's the way to handle this...
Hi.  Thanks beach for the words of encouragement.  Aross, I have a question as I am going back to my GI for my first follow up.  When your doc said that it can take 2 to 5 years to recover, did he/she specify what that meant?  Were they talking pain, ect.,?  I am curious as I am writing down questions for my appointment and my surgeon said 3-6 months ( I am almost 4 months)  Do any of you find that eating certain food causes pain?  Also, how long were you on the pain meds?  Thanks.
Hi Sue,

Im very sorry to hear about everything you are going through.  I felt completely alone in all of this until I posted here and all of you started replying.  I wish that none of us were going through this but it makes it a little easier to know we are not alone.  

My doctor told me that in my case it would take closer to 5 years for a somewhat full recovery (I will still have diarrhea but hopefully not as much) because I had 40% of my small intestine removed (the ileum and valve).  That's a pretty big chunk, and the ileum is responsible for absorbing some important nutrients.  It takes longer for the jejunum to adapt and absorb everything that the ileum does, than it does for the ileum to adapt and absorb what the jejunum does (if someone were to have the jejunum removed instead).  So I'm on the worse side of the scenario as far as the part I had removed and how much.  

As far as pain, I do have occasional intestine pain.  Sometimes it doubles me over as I'm trying to run to the bathroom and other times its just kind of a dull pain.  About 2 months after my surgery I had the same exact pain that sent me to the ER the day I had surgery.  It wasnt as intense but I was afraid it was going to get worse and thought that I was going to have more of my intestines removed.  It turned out to be nothing and eased up the same day.  It was very scary after what I had been through.  I wonder if some of the pain is from stool passing through the part of my intestine where they made the cut and maybe some scar tissue has developed?  I'm definitely interested to know what your doctor says about it.  

Food that cause me discomfort (bloating and gas mostly) are fatty foods and complex carbohydrates (dairy, bread, rice, starchy veg, etc.).  But I havent come across any foods that cause me pain.

Best of luck at your appointment and be sure to let us know how it goes.

Take care~Ah'lai
Like beach211893, I really do not have any pain unless I bloat up.  I have noticed that if I eat foods that gave me problems before the surgery such as corn, potato skins, pickles, peas (anything with skins on them), I have pain as I did before the surgery.  These foods gave me bowel obstructions,  which I never want to experience again. So in my case, as long as I have diarrhea, I know foods are passing through.
I wish I could help you with the pain. You need to get off of the vicodin.  Please keep in touch and let us know what you find out.  
Take care.      
Thanks for all of your encouragement. I will let you know what the GI doc says after my appointment.  I too, am so glad that I found this site.  I have a question ( another one lol).  Has anyone found that stress plays a part in the pain?  I am starting to notice that my pain level is so much higher during the week, when I am working .  I am a GED teacher for at risk youth, age 16-21.  While I absolutely love my job and what I am doing in these kids' lives, I am noticing a decrease in pain on the weekends..... I also have GERD and take Prevacid but someone told me that the stomach acid can also cause intestinal issues.  Unfortunately, quitting my job or taking time off is not an issue right now, but I will be taking a few days off in June as my first grand child ( a girl....Yeah) is due on the 12th.  My students are taking off the last 2 weeks of June.  Thanks again.
Stress encourages it but is not the cause.  Does that make sense?  I had the opportunity to be off from work from November until the day after Memorial Day, which is coming up. So, at least I had the chance to somewhat recover from the surgery.
Congratulations on your 1st grandchild.  I have five under the age of five.  
So I hope you find the source of the pain.  What a shame that you are dealing with this at this very important time in your life.  
Greetings to you all!

I am so thankful to read each of your stories--thanks so much for sharing them with everybody.  I want to share my story with you--I know it is different but I guess they all are.

July 16, 2007 I had 85% of my large colon removed.  I was diagnosed with colonic inertia, which simply meant that it wasn't working.  I was tired of trying to plan my life, my job, etc around my bowel movements.  My doctor told me that I would experience frequent hospitalizations and obstructions if I didn't take care of the problem.  It was a laproscopic procedure.  It was on a Monday.  By Wednesday my heartrate was 191 and I was in an ambulance being transported to a different hospital, for their ICU care.  By Saturday I knew that I was dying.  I told my mother goodbye 4 times, and I was very calm and serious.  I had developed a very bad rash all over my stomach and right side.  The nurses were watching it spread.  By Saturday afternoon my heart began doing something strange and the nurses called the doctors.  Shortly afterwards I lost all bodily functions.  Within a couple of hours I was in surgery again, this time because they thought I had gangrene and they were going in to begin removing my flesh.  The surgeon made a 6 inch incision on my right ribcage-nothing.  He then made a 6 inch incision on my right hip-nothing.  Another 6 inch incision was made horizontally on the right side of my stomach.  Nothing.  As they were about to lose me the surgeon made one final cut-vertically from above my belly button all the way down, and it was there that he found the problem.  The first surgeon had made a mistake, and punctured a hole in my rectum.  He then repaired the hole and gave me an ileostomy.  I ended up septic, on life support for a week, ICU for 33 days, with a total hospital stay of  55 days.  The drug that saved my life was Zigris, a $10,000 a day drug that they gave me for 96 hours.  It protected my vital organs from the infection.  I had to qualify for it--I had to be sick enough to need it and hopefully strong enough to pull through.  During my hospital stay I had the MRSA staph infection in my big incision, a wound vac on 3 of the incisions, pneumonia and they removed 40 ounces of fluid from my right lung.  My last surgery was December 18, 2007 and during that surgery they fixed a hernia that was caused from all of the cuts and reversed the ileostomy.  I am getting stronger every day.  Some days are better than others.  I still have pain--I think from the scar tissue.  I have bladder spasms when I empty my bladder, mainly first thing in the morning.  I have been diagnosed with Reiters Syndrome, a type of reactive arthritis that was caused by the infection.   I typically have 3 to 4 bowel movements a day-some are firm and some are lopse.  I am able to eat most foods and am so thankful to be alive.  I am so glad to have found this site-and thank you all for your comments.
Thanks Green eyes for sharing your story.  Wow, you certainly went through a lot and are lucky to be alive!  My hubby recently lost a friend to sepsis from an intestinal rupture ( no warning, just sudden sharp pain).  Some of your story sounds like his but his did not have a happy ending.  His organ were all infected and eventually started to shut down.  As for me, I went for my follow up with GI, yesterday.  He thinks that I am fine and that I need to stop worrying..... as well as stop taking the Vicodin.  He gave me a good talking too ( in a nice way lol) about my anxiety, ect.  It was helpful, believe me, and I needed to hear it.  He also recommended stretching type exercise, like yoga, as he says it is good to help stretch out colon section and something about the scar tissue.  Anyway, just wanted to update.  
Thanks Sue for your comment.  I am so sorry about your loss.  That is so scary.  I continue to get tests done to monitor my vital organs.  So far so good.  My liver count has been elevated and continued to rise--but they believe that it was because of the infection as well as all of the medication.  They tested for Hep and HIV--because of the multiple blood transfusions I had--all negative.  My docs are attempting to get my pain under control using Lyrica and Melexicam, both are non narcotic.  The Lyrica mainly helps the nerve endings and the combination seems to help.  My doc said that part of the pain is that the scar tissue is vying for position, pushing things around in there, and that it will probably be September or October before everything settles down.  Boy am I ready.  I am extremely active, working in outside sales, mowing, weed eating, cleaning, walking, biking, etc.  I figure that if my body hurts I might as well give it a better reason to.  Have a great evening and good luck to you!
Woah! I bet you are so thankful to be alive for all the things you went and are going through!  Makes my problems seem so small in comparison.  I am not a complainer, especially when I am sick.  I am thankful to be alive too!  My diverticulum pocket could have burst and I could have gotten much sicker than I was. I was living with the pain for almost a month before I did anything about it.

Thanks for sharing your story.  These are very personal things to be sharing - but it's nice to know that other people are having similar problems.  I know that when I'm running for the bathroom 5 to 7 times a day that others are doing the same thing!

I will keep in touch!
To greeneyes - God was certainly on your side in helping you get through what you endured.  It sounds like the doctors are really keeping an eye on things.  It's great that you keep active.  I will keep you in my prayers.

and Sue 357 - So happy to hear you are off the vicodin.  And reading that your doctor suggests stretching exercises,  I will try that myself.  I have been doing more work in the yard such as gardening, painting our picket fence, etc.  
I know what you mean though about worrying.  I head back to work the day after Memorial Day since being off from the first week of November and am nervous about the possibility of having to run to the bathroom.  I need to stay positive.

Kim

my son now 5 lost almost all of his intestines in 2004 and i have been dealing with everything you guys have been saying! "aross" you say you have been following very low-fiber, low-fat, bland diet. is it working for you?  
Oh my goodness, which made your son only 1 year old.  If you can, please tell us what happened.  This must be as difficult for you as it is for him.  Take care.
Good afternoon,
What a horrible thing for a little boy to have to go through.  I hope that you both are coping well and that your doctors are actually helpful.

As for my diet, I followed a low-fiber, low-fat diet for a long time to help with the diarrhea.  As my recovery went along I started to suffer all the time from bloating and gas and after a very long time I finally figured out that complex carbs are the culprit.  I cannot digest them well at all so if I dont want to suffer, I just dont eat them.  These days, I typically eat a normal diet if I know I am pretty much going to be hanging out around the house.  I take digestive enzymes with every meal.  If I'm running to the bathroom more than usual on any given day then I drink a couple servings of pedialyte or smartwater to replace the electrolytes.  I've started taking magnesium citrate along with the digestive enzymes because it's supposed to help the enzymes work more effectively.  

I only had 40% of my small intestine removed (ileum and valve).  How much did your son have removed?  What symptoms is he suffering from?  Im assuming lots of diarrhea, malabsorption, iron deficiency, B12 deficiency, and more?  Ive done a lot of research online over the past couple of years trying to get answers so if you can give me a little more information about your son I might be able to give you some more helpful information.  I sure hope I can, this is a terrible thing to have to go through.

Take good care~
Ah'lai
I just read your son's history in his profile name, and since reading it, my struggles are so minimal.  Your post made me realize that I should have no complaint.  My heart goes out to you and Nicholas.  I have no answers or advice for you.  All I can offer is prayer.  
Please keep us updated.
Kim

I feel chastened by all of you with much more serious problems, but I need some support/advice, and this seems to be the place. After 5 bouts of diverticulitis in 2 years with ultimate blockage I had an elective (non-emergency) laprascopic colectomy with resection two weeks ago; four days ago i started having sharp, breath taking pain about four times a day on my rt side - several hrs after eating and during the night. It certainly brings me to my feet!
I saw my DR yesterday for my follow up - he said the pain had nothing to do with his five incisions that are healing well, and since I'm functioning he said to go about doing whatever i want, and come back in two weeks.
This pain really worries me -
pollyhurting
Sorry about the delay in responding. I finally went back to work after being home seven  months and have been concentrating on that.  I wish I had an answer for you with the pain.  I never had it following surgery.  Just the horrible diarrhea.  Not sure which I would prefer.
Have you seen him again yet?  Please keep us informed.
Kim
I just went thru and reread everyone's comments, and I know I am blessed to be able to live normally. I am still sore - it's been a month now, but don't have undue discomfort unless I lift something too heavy.
I have some hygiene suggestions the readers might find helpfu:
19 years ago when we added a new master  bathroom, I had a hose run under the house from the bathroom sink and brought it up beside the toilet, attaching it to a brass hose, and putting a special head on the end that can be adjusted from a very gentle output to a gentle output. The brass head even came with little cups to fit on the end for multiple users (it's for me only), and I attached it to the wall next to the T. paper with a brass clamp. Several times a day (or more) I wash myself with Johnson's all over  baby wash and keep a stack of guest towels alongside. The nozzle can also be used for a gentle enema if necessary. When I don't wash, I use a Preperation H "fanny wipe" instead - that is basically a solution of witch hazel with aloe.
These two hints keep me clean and non-irritated.
I hope this helps other sore bottoms!
Hello Im in tears reading your posts. I am so pleased to have found others who understand and have been through what I am currently going through. In September 2007 I went in for appendicitis and a couple of days later went back to surgery due to a "blockage". They had accidently cut my colon which resulted in peritonitis. They had to remove 50% of both my colon and small bowel. Its going on 10 mths and Im still going 10 times minimum a day...I get infections in the bowel and Im so sore its like passing boiling water. They keep changing my medication but nothing seems to work. Im also seeing a dietition but that also doesnt seem to be working. Ive been told I could be like this for 3 - 5 yrs or for life. They dont really know. Im using lots and lots of rectinol due to its anesthetic content.
I guess this is the place to be....  I just had my large colon and a portion of my small removed on May 28th.  It has been a rollercoaster ride since.  I have good days and bad days.  I just am so done with the pain....    some days, i just want to give up!  But I have read this string.....  and considering what some of you are going through...  I need to  start counting my blessings and suck it up.  BUT  It's that I am impatient with the healing process...   You have all helped me to get through another day.....Thanks

Also.....I do think I had the best surgeron at Mass General!  
This is my second surgery for resection the first was in 2005 with the ilovalve removed and assending colon. Then in Jan 2008 I had surgery for a small bowel obstruction, and now in June 2008 another colon resection and all of my small bowel was taken out and worked over for adhesions! Some days are terrible as I either have constipation or loose stools. When  I don't go I bloat and have cramps. This is the first site that I have found that talks about all of the cramps that happen after you eat and the gas that comes out! Every doctor tells me to eat what I want, but I cannot! Thanks a million everyone! I will continue to learn from all of you!
Hi Kitnkate my doctor at first said to eat what I want but I definately cant. Fats, sugars, most fruit (on a really good day I can eat a banana but this is rare) are out. Everything goes through me but some things go much faster than others.Do you or anyone pass blood? I have about 1 day a week where I pass lots of blood and it worries me.

Crystaa
Hi all, just wanted to drop in and let you know how things have been going.  It's been almost 2.5 years since I had to have 40% of my small intestine removed and very, very, slowly it is getting better.  

I still have the diarrhea, but only 2-5 times a day and it is controllable to an extent (meaning I dont have to jump up and rush to the bathroom every time).  I don't suffer much from bloating and gas as long as I steer clear of complex carbs (mainly bread, rice, pasta, etc.), fried foods, and greasy fast food.  I can tolerate a little bit of dairy ( a yogurt and glass of milk for the day) but if I go overboard I will get the bloating and gas.  Some days I still get faint, dizzy, and just generally do not feel right and that is usually because I've gotten a little dehyrated and need to replace some of the electrolytes that I'm losing by running to the bathroom.  And most everday I am tired, like someone has sucked all the energy right out of me.  I'm sure a lot of this has to do with raising my toddler, but not all of it.  

Some of you are really suffering right now and I know exactly how you feel because in most cases I have been there too.  Hopeless, frustrated, anxious, and more.  When this happened to me I thought my life as I knew it had come to an end and didn't know what I was going to do.  It is getting better, it's just taking a really long time and when it comes to something that affects every single thing you do every single day, the recovery time can seem like an eternity.

Hang in there and take care.
~Ah'lai  
Thanks aross123. I didnt think there was light at the end of the tunnel. It does seem like an eternity but I guess I just want my life back without having to worry about where the toilet is everywhere I go. Im trying to be patient but its hard.

Take care
Crystaa
Some how I am fortunate....  I have enough warning before I have to go to the bathroom....but I must say that the gas noise is exrememly loud!!!  Of course I dare not pass gas in public because i don't know it if's going to be just gas or pooooo.....LOL.   I found that fruits, raw veggies, greens, high fiber, and carbonated drinks are especially troublesome.  Strawberries (my favorite) come out the same way they went in. Not breaking down at all. For some strange reason I now crave milk. Previously I was not a milk drinker but the craving started right after the surgery.  Weird huh???  As far as figuring out the food thing.....as boring as it sounds I found that if I eat 1 thing at a time for 2 meals, I'm able to determine if it is something I can add to my short list of foods that pass ok...... tuna... egg...frosted flakes....fruitloops.....and chicken are keeping me alive for now...  To control the nausea, I tried gram-crackers.....not good, caused a lot of gas, switched to wheat thins (just 3 at a time) so now I have that somewhat under control. It is like starting all over.....trial and error...  But slowly I am getting there.
Hi.  Has anyone experienced constipation as a result of colon resection?  I am 5 months post op and have periods of normal bms, or diarrea sometimes, but lately seem to be a bit constipated.  As a result, I have some soreness in that area.  I am taking fiber once a day ( citrucell) and do feel much better.  I go back to my surgeon, July 15th and will discuss.  Also, I am wondering if prune juice would be good as I do not want to take laxatives, if not necessary.  Thanks
No I definately dont experience constipation I cant have any fibre or I wouldnt get off the toilet. Prune juice would be good but be careful on how much you have because it will cause diarrea or it does for me...I cant even look at it..

Crysta
I have had constipation problems since my last resection. I know that a lot of people talk about bowel moments so many times a day and I envy them:) I had to take a low dose of Milk of Mag. for my bm's to get to normal. A lot of times the doctor says no at first, but my bowels have been a mess for so long that they said ok. Where was your resection done on your bowel. Mine was sigmoid this time. I am about 2 and a half weeks out and very swollen right now.
I was surprised that a month went by without a post.  To Crystaa - How awful that this happened to you the way it did and now you have to deal with this. I also still, after 7 months, have bad days that I could scream with the pain of going so much. I have to wear pads, not from the fear of diarrhea but the bleeding some days gets so bad.  I went back to work a month ago after being off since the first week of November.  To this day, I have gone without eating until supper when I am in the comfort of my own home.  I drink water and have maybe a few crackers during the day and walk on my lunch break.  It's the only way I can get through the day without having to run to the bathroom. Some foods go right through me within the hour, the way they went in my mouth.  It *****, with all the parties this summer, but I am comfortable going without eating just to have a fun time.
To Bad Luck Gut - Through trial and error, you get to know the foods that work for your system.  The only food I can tolerate during the day  are the Pepperidge Farms fish crackers.  They are making a mint off of me.  I wish I could buy them in bulk instead of these small packages.
Take care
Kim

Hi.  My resection was the sigmoid area...7 inches, The funny thing is today, I am experiencing diarrea, which I haven't had for a while.  Of course, we had a BBQ yesterday.  I had a hot dog ( something I haven't had in almost a year!) and a little fresh fruit, which I have steered away from as well.  I also had dental surgery, last Thursday, so am on Amoxicillin for that as well as a little Vicodin at night.  They had to remove a very decayed tooth and begin prep for bridge.  Yes, I have also been blessed (lol) with periodontal disease so have had several surgeries with that.  The thing that bugs me is I am over 5 months out from my surgery and while I feel better than I did at 2 weeks, like you, I guess I expected to be 100 percent by now.  Even though the surgeon said it could take 3 to 6 months and I guess even up to a year to completely feel back to normal.
today is more of a down day for me...up one...  down the next.  Tried to move the washing machince back to the wall it had skipped away from......  HELLO!!!  

I'm bummin' my husband and kids have left for vacation...... but I just couldn't go...  I know that I would just push it toooo much and I don't want to mess up teir fun.

sooooo what am I to do????      I thought that I would try a beer or 2.....   see how that affects my gut.....   (Comments welcomed).......

Kim.....See if you can find a Peperidge Farn outlet store near by.....
Hope everyone had a great 4th of July with or without food.  My husband and I packed so much into four days of being off from work and I ate a variety of different foods.  Had some issues on the 3rd when they shoot off fireworks in our city. Porta potties and long lines just do not work for situations like ours but I survived.  
To Bad Luck Gut - Hope you had those beers.  I found that beer actually sits well with me.  Budweiser or the new Budweiser with lime are my favorites and do not give me gas.
I will try and find an outlet that sells Pepperidge Farm fish crackers.  Although I had never eaten them before my surgery, I craved them during my recovery and have eaten them since.  They have to be the plain ones and since I do not eat until supper, I go through quite a lot of packages a week. I've tried oyster crackers but they are just not the same.
Oh, also Bad Luck Gut - how did you feel after moving that washing machine.  I find that I cannot lift or move anything heavy or I will have it in my stomach bad!!!!
Take care everyone,
Kim  
Hi.  I had a good 4th but overdid what I ate, I think.  I am finding that salty snacks, like chips...my favorite thing in the world are a no no.  They give me diarrea and then I am sore for the whole day!  I also ate a hot dog ( Nathans) which also might have irritated.  Has anyone else noticed that where the surgery was performed ( anasmotosis sp?) is sore after diarrea bouts?  Take care all.....and I am sure enjoying my new baby grand daughter.  You can go to my profile and see her pics....
So nice to have someone to relate to! I went to a party on the 4th and due to the fact I am not yet 3 weeks out so I ate nothing at the party. I am so tired of only  eating at the end of the day! But I am so glad to hear that others go through it too. I  loved the gold fish crackers before my last surgery so I would bet that I am going to try them again. I had to spend 4 month on a semi liquid diet because of a failed surgery for small bowel adhesions. The surgeon that did it did  not get all of the adhesions and I had to go through another full surgery and a anasmotosis of the sigmoid colon. I am sore after diahrrea too. Oh, did anyone here ever fear eating for a while because of all that we had been through? No one I know ever mentions that. I have had 2 blockages and it puts a real fear of food in my head sometimes!
Your new grandaughter is adorable.  Congratulations!!  Grandchildren are the best.  They keep us young and we can spoil them.  

Hi.  Thanks.  Yes, she has truly been a blessing through all of this.  Back in Sept., when all of the diverticulitis attacks began, is when I found out I was going to be a grandma for the first time.  It is interesting to hear from people who have just had their resections, within the last 2 months, and here I am....over 5 months out and still having some issues.  It is depressing, to say the least.  I think some of it must be what I eat but boy, I spent several months on "mushy" diet ( before surgery, when the doc was trying all of the antibiotics which didn't work) I am also a big baby and suffer from Anxiety Disorder ( GAD) which seems to have reared it's ugly head since my surgery, more so than any other time in my life.  I go back to my surgeon, on the 15th, and he may do a CT to check the resection.  I keep hearing people on this site talk about adhesions and such so I may ask him to do it, if nothing else but for my own peace of mind that everything is alright.... My GI doc thinks I am neurotic but the kicker is that during all of this, I found out I was in menopause and had to start on hormones which have really helped..... Thanks all.
I am 9 months out from surgery and still have huge issues. You are not neurotic its real and everyone is different.I had complications after the surgery and end up with hospital induced pnemonia, staff infection, lost 24kgs in 6 weeks, had an open wound due to the peritonitis which also got infected. Everyone's healing time will be different as will some of the issues but we all have common issues too. Im glad you had your grandchild to look forward to. Im having a colonoscopy soon so they can check whats happening. By the way Im in Australia as Ive nocticed most of you must be in the USA so I hope thats not a problem for me to come here.
Crysta
Reality slap..... I am still in too much pain.  Pushing the washer didn't help.  But the pyhsical pain at the incision site right below the belly button is toooo much.   The doc gave me a script for Gabapentin. I have been taking it, but I'm not sure if it is helping at all since the pain is intense....forget sneezing..or coughing...  That puts me  on the couch for the rest of the day.  I am taking Aleve and Tylonol as well.  Very frustrating since it is been about 6 weeks.  I don't know if it is muscle pain, a hernia or what, but I need to get past this issue.  CT scan showed no problems.   Mornings are now better...but as the day progresses the pain increases.  Sometimes I have to hold my stomach just to walk around; other times I have to hold my chothes away from the skin, because it is soo sensative.  So whether it is nerve pain or muscle it hurts bad!!   Anyone else experience this???  I need to be able to get back to work.  I it wasn't for this pain, I think I could get back to work.

For butt pain issues.....  I suggest a combination of Tucks (wonderfully cool, you'll like 'em), and Desitin (especially before bed).  Heals the bottom in about a day.

My dad had to wear a bag for about 3 months and just 3 weeks ago had it removed. He was admitted to the hospital last monday and was diagosed with a intestinal obstruction which they treated for 6 days with a ng tube. That didn't help the hernia so he had another ct scan done and had surgery sunday evening where they repaired the small intestine hernia and did the mesh thing. He was feeling good yesterday and today he told my sister he was sick all night and that they did some more x-rays on him. I live over 225 miles away and I was wondering if anyone else has had anything similar to this and what we can expect.    
Just received call from sister said they did the x-rays because he pulled the ng tube out a little and they wanted to make sure it was still where they needed it to be. Apparently his blood pressure was really high and he had a bad headache so they gave him some medication for the blood pressure and it went to normal. He is very tired and weak sounding on the phone.  
Hi.  Thanks for the feedback.  I had to stop the Amoxicillin( did that on my own) as I think that was causing the diarrea and therefore the soreness where I had the resection done.  I know that my surgeon said it can take up to a year to recover from this.  I am going to ask him to do a CT scan, just for my own piece of mind.  His nurse reminded me what a big surgery this is.  Sometimes I wish I had never had it but then remember back to all of the diverticulitis attacks and change my mind.  lol.  As for being from "Down Under"  Welcome.... Glad to have you but of course not for the circumstances.  Wondering if anyone else has experienced soreness where the surgery was done from diarrea?  Also, for Bad Luck...you may want to have your doc check for hernia, around the incision site.  Mine was done lapro but I remember he kept checking for that as it is something that happens sometimes.  
When you mentioned the Tucks, it reminded me of something I never mentioned.  I've tried them and they are fantastic but I get the Equate flushable wipes at Walmart.  They come in a package of 60 (blue package), are much bigger and only cost $1.30 per package.  I swear by these and they instantly sooth.  I even carry them in a ziploc in my purse. I also use them on the grandchildren when changing their diaper. I hope you find them to work as well as I do.
As far as the pain, I had it for about 2 months following the surgery but that was it. Sometimes I get muscle spasms around the incision site from lifting, turning a certain way and even laughing.  But my mom continues to have pain. She has had three resections in the past four years, is constipated all the time and has to be careful of what she lifts.  I continue to have the diarrhea after 8 months.    Believe me, they will have to carry me into the hospital in restraints before I go through this again.
Kim, I had to laugh when I read your post about having to be carried into the hospital in restraints...I hear you  lol.  I don't know which is worse.  The problems before or the problems after.... anyway, all in all, I guess I am glad I had it done.  I am doing better since I stopped the Amoxicillin that the periodontist gave me.  It was causing the diarrea, I think, and therefore the soreness.  Miss my potatoe chips, tho, as that is another thing that sets it off.  I think it is is the salt.  Take care.
I am now about 4 weeks out and had a terrible few days. I had those muscle pains that twitch all day and night UGH! I think that Bad Luck guts mom and I are in the same boat. She has had 3 resections and I have had 2 plus another surgery for adhesions. I am so upset that I can't lift or even turn the wrong way sometimes. Yesterday I just sat at the computer too long and paid for it! I Hate this! I worry every time I get these pains because of other blockages! Thanks for listening!
LOL about the restraints I know that feeling:)
It has been over 7 weeks since I had the surgery.  Today I feel no better than I did 4 weeks ago.  The pain below the belly button burns.   I'm still holding my gut a lot especially when I'm walking.  I'm feeling very discouraged........can't drive, can't bend, can't lift anything......and can't seem to get beyond the pain.  Can anyone suggest better pain stuff than 2 Aleve every 12 hours and 2 Tylonol every 8 hours.  I don't believe that these are helping any.
I can tell you that 7 weeks seems like a long time and I know that I can't bend or lift anything yet either. What did you have done again? The first surgery took me 3 months to feel better. I know it sounds like forever but it does get better. Do you have any type of abdominal binder to wear? You can get them at any medical store and they really help on the days were you have to hold you stomach all day. Also, I use ice packs right on the belly that I get at the Walgreens. I take Celebrex that I got from the dr. Maybe they would give you that. There are days like the last few days that I am in the same shape as you and no matter what I do it hurts all day. Sure makes life seem bad and my family tries to understand but its hard on them and they have no idea what we go through. Oh, another thing to try pain patches. You can get them at Walgreens too Bengay makes them. They are easy to put on and take off.
Hope this helps. I feel your pain for real:)
I had my large colon removed and apart of the small.  I have a mesh that's been recalled that may be causing some of the pain.  It is hurtful.  I am going to try and get an abdominal binder.  I can't let anything brush against my stomach.  My family went on vacation without me this week....I knew if I went, I would just try and do to much. I am supposed to be back at work a week from Monday......Don't see it happening......  yikes...
I have had a few bad days...I had a stabbing like cramp that would not let up! I would happen every few minutes! I had it down low in the left side. I finally got some sleep last night! I hate this!
I know how it feels to let the family go on without you! I cry myself to sleep sometimes...I pray for you and me both :)
Hi.  so sorry you guys are having so much pain.  I truly know how you feel.  I am praying for you both as someone who is almost 6 months out.... Update:  I went to see my surgeon and was gonna ask for CT to check for adhesions.  He gave me the bad news that he would need to open me up for that....big fat NO WAY  lol.  So he is gonna do a cbc blood test, just to make sure infection has not come back ( I don't think it has) and then a colonoscopy soon.  I just want to make sure that the pain that I have sometimes is normal. He thinks it is just different foods or something irritating the colon.  Anyway, I asked him what was the longest time period he has someone complain that they don't feel "completely like they never had the surgery" and he answered 1 to 2 years.  So hang in there guys...I am   God bles  
Thanks for the nice note and the update you your condition. I appreciate you telling us about how it goes. I know that when we get those cramps and gas and not going to the bathroom the first thing we think about is a blockage and all of that! I live in fear of that! I know I need to work on my diet! Its hard to know how anything will go through the system and sometimes its just easier to try new things.
What was you symptoms again? One or 2 years seems like forever right now. My long incision makes normal life nearly impossible! I am to go for a 30th anniversary trip with my husband in just 4 weeks and I am so depressed that I am in this shape.
Oh well, at least I am trying! I just don't know what I would do without you Sue357! Hey, that is my favorite sister's name Sue! No wonder you are awesome!

i didn't make it through Monday with the pain.  Ended up in the ER where the 8 week old incision burst opened as a result of a large abcess.  Yikes....  that is what all that pain was.   It took all that time to surface and then when it did, it popped through.  OUCH!!!!   So I just got out of the hospital again. I was soooo sick.  On Tuesday...I was thinking that dying wouldn;t be soooo bad.  I don't think i can ever walk into a hospital again.  They transfered me by ambulance from one hospital to aonther.   Can't wait to see this bill....but I was tooo busy wishing for death at the time to care.,,,  hope everyone else is doing better.  You give me hope........
Oh my goodness, what you have gone through!!  All those days with so much pain.  And that sick feeling, I'm just glad to hear you got to the hospital and things were taken care of.  Let us know in the upcoming days how you are recovering from this new episode.  Now that you have this behind you,  please believe that things will get better.  
I once felt the way you did, that death would be better than living this nightmare, told my husband that many times.  Prayed for answers and am happy to say that each and every day is better than the last.  It's been eight months now and I also was told that it would be a couple years to get my system back on track.  Some days still are bad but "I can handle some more than all."
You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Kim  
I can't believe what you are going through! Did you run a fever at home or did you notice any bumps or anything first. I wonder about my incision and how painful it is! Oh, I thought I was the only one wishing the good Lord would just take me HOME and not live with all of this pain and stress! I feel so down sometimes! I know how awful being in the hospital is. No one in my family thinks its a big deal, that when we get sick we can just go there and get fixed but I live in fear of it! I appreciate you all so much. Bad luck, hang in there! I want to say that it gets  better! Do you have to wear a bag at all? I wondered if they left anything at all inside of you on the large colon. I am just having a horrible time with food. I can't eat much at a time and have lost a lot of weight again. The dr says to eat what I want and to gain 10 lbs. That is easier said than done. I am praying right now for all of us and for you Bad luck!!!
Love,
Nancy
I am so sorry that you ended up on the hospital again.  How are they or did they treat the abscess?  I too live in fear of a blockage so am glad that I seem to be having normal bms again.  My sigmoid colon was starting to stricture which is why I had to have the resection in the first place...all of the scar tissue from all of the diverticulitis attacks.  I don't know if I ever mentioned but I have a small colon anyway.  The surgeon said that is just the way God made me.  When he resected, he had to get a connector from pediatric unit as I was so small.  I have also lost weight.  30 lbs through this whole thing, which I needed to lose, but not this way.  People at work keep commenting on how "good" I look and I tell them, you don't want this diet...lol....try Weight Watchers.  God bless you all and hang in there.  I am going on 6 months out and just now starting to feel a little more back to normal.... Oh kitnkat, thanks for the compliment on my name.  It is short for Susanne.  I was named after a twin aunt who died, in the 1920's, from diptheria....Her other twin was Nancy.  
Wow, you have lost a lot of weight! How much of the sigmoid did you have removed? I have had about 4 inches due to a chronic vovulus and that was enough! The sigmoid was far worse that the assending colon that I had done first. It seems that I have more swelling and its harder to tell if you are having gas or bm's! Drat! Hope you stop losing weight! 30# is alot!
I know how it seems, people tell me I look anorexic and I just want to scream! Its so hard to not have any one around that understands!
How are you today bad luck gut? I hope better:)
How cool that your other twin aunt was named Nancy! We must really be meant to be friends!
Later,
Nancy
I had 7 inches removed.  What is chronic vovulus?  I never heard of that.  As for the weight, it seems to be stabilizing although I have to say that I needed to lose some weight.  I am 5 foot 2 and had gotten up to 186 pounds, last summer.  I could probably stand to loose more, but right now just want to focus on getting healthy.
Hi, i am new to the forum, I live in Spain. I had my Sigmoid removed, 6 inches, by laparasope 9 months ago. A few weeks after the op. I had a colonoscope done twice to "open" the colon where the scar tissue is, ´cos my poo was coming out little by little 6-8 times a day, especially about an hour after eating anything. Actually it didn´t help much and I am much in the same situtation, I am used to that now, altho' I always need to know where the nearest loo is LOL, BUT , my main problem is WIND. Sometimes it so stinks I get soooo embarassed, hubby goes to the spare room. I can´t take fibre as it seems to make it worse, physillium seeds etc. which I used to rely on pre. op. Does anyone have any suggestions ?
Welcome to the forum! What part of Spain are you from? How exciting! We come from all over. Okay, I have small bm's too and sometimes it gets backed up like today! I had spasms over my belly button area and I thought I was going into another obstruction, but I ate something and tried to lie down and then it broke open! Does anyone else have that trouble with the pulling and spasms? As far as the wind goes I can get rid of most of mine if I just lie down after I eat and turn on my left side. It works! The rest of the day its better or at least you are not in public when it happens. I do take an antiacid with anti gas in it too. Pepcid also. Do you have those meds there? OH, fiber does a number on me also. I hope this helps. I wonder if I will get over the small bm's, I wonder if my dr will look at my bowel to see if that is the problem. Today was a very bad day. I feel hopeless and so lonely. I could not even leave the house until 5pm!
Take care all!
About the voulvus, that means a twisting of the bowel. Apparently my large bowel was twisting and then untwisting so it would go into a blockage. My small bowels were full of adhesions. Like I said earlier today I was sure that I was going to the ER with the nasogastric tube! I wish I could find real hope. I did not eat anything wrong or do anything that I could  remember that was different. Drat! Thanks for listening.
Hi.  Welcome to the group.  I have had problems with gas too, which is extremely foul...lol... It seems better this week, but I definately know what you mean.  My surgeon has me on a high fiber diet.  I eat fiber cereal and drink fiber in the morning.  I am also eating a lot of beans which are very high in fiber.  You might want to try that if you are having a problem with the psyllum.  Right now I am battling  nausea but think that is related to anxiety and/or a stomach bug.  I understand, kit, about the twisting bowel as I have heard of it but never heard that term.  
Hi, thanks for your advice. I live in Marbella , altho´I am English by nationality. Well I have been better today, not so much wind, wow was it LOUD last night tho´ sounded like a gunshot LOL. Only have been to the loo 4 times, so a relatively good day. I have to be very careful with the fibre, I eat a fibre b/f and tons of fruit ( altho´come to think of it I missed my apple today , maybe that´s why I feel better ! ) I am trying this new product Benefibra which disolves in water or juice, seems easier on me than other fibre drinks, let´s see........tomorrow I have an appointment with the GI dr., so maybe he will suggest another colonoscope. I don´t mind that, but that pre. op drink preperation soooooo disgusting.Keep well all. I will let you know what doc. says
Hi there, I was wondering if you were a teacher you must be gearing up for school this fall! I am also a new grandma! My grandson is now nearly 16 months. Its such a joy! I was very happy to hear your story when I re-read some of the posts you have made it seems to help me. I am also a nurse so sometimes that is helpful but lately it just makes me worry more:) Anyway, have a good day and take care!
Nancy
Hi...sorry for the delayed response.  I am sooooo much better now. Thank you for all your support.  The infection is being attacked with antibiotics...but what i didn't know is that antibiotics cause yeast infections....which I have never had....until now.  Unfortunately, I also got Thrush...  very yucky...and bizarre.  BUT other than that....  I am getting better. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel....finally.  Based on your posts, I am fortunate that my doc took the whole large colon.  I have not had any obstructions since.  They recommended that I avoid high fiber foods,so it's interesting that they are recommending that you increase yours.  I don't get that.  What happens when you cut out the fiber??    My bathroom time is loud and very smelly....  I am worried about this for when I go back to work.  I wonder if I can request that they sound proof the bathroom??   LOL.....  it is embarassing.  
Hi.  To Kit...I am a GED teacher of youth age 16-21 so we pretty much go all year round.  However, I am taking a vacation from 8-1-8-12, but have a sub.  To Bad luck:  I am on a high fiber diet NOW.... to keep things moving, I guess.  At first I think they want you on a low fiber diet to allow the colon to not work as hard.  I have been on all of the diets....low fiber, low residue and now high fiber.  I would ask the doc when you can increase fiber.  I know that for a few months after my surgery, fiber would cause me pain.... so I stopped until I was able to take it with out pain.
Hi. Went to the doc yesterday to ask what to do about my smellies and frequent visits to b/r. He says 5-6 times is classified as normal, just have to learn to live with it, :( and that if I get too gassy to cut out fibre, fruit and veggies until I calm down. So I guess it´s all about learning to control our colons. I also complained about the heartburn I have been having, usually at night and especially if I am stressed ( we had a robbery last week, ALL my jewellry was taken, I had TERRIBLE heartburn that night) He has put me on monolitum for 30 days and said it should clear up. Slept better last night. I wonder if I will ever get back to normal..........................It is so hot now, my ankles have swollen to twice their size, that never happened before my op. either. Anyone else had that side affect ?
Hi.  I also have Acid Reflux so when you mention heartburn and stress, that is the first thing I thought of.  I have not familiar with monolitum but I take Prevacid daily.  I think I put it in a higher post, but I also suffer from depression and anxiety disorder so am also on Zoloft and Klonopin.  And hot.... I live in Phoenix...lol.. but have never had any problems like that with my ankles. You may want to explore the possiblity of acid reflux or GERD as it is called.... Now, I am doing better pain wise but having nausea which may be related to anxiety, even with the meds.  My surgeon ran a CBC just to check for infection and it came back fine.  
Guess what? You both have the answer already to my question! Acid Reflux has hit me full force over this past week along with stress and anxiety! I was so nauseated the other day I was sure that I was going into a spell where I was plugged up! I am so glad to hear that this is normal. I need to up my dosage the over the counter meds until I can get into my dr. I was so worried that I was doing something wrong! GERD is probably due to the nasogastric tubes and also all of the system being messed with. I feel you on the GAD Sue, I have been on meds before for it and I have noticed my anxiety levels climbing again. I need to visit with my md for that! Is there no end to this! I am glad that the CBC came out good. I am so glad you are doing better pain wise. That gives me hope:) I was due to see my surgeon last week but the appointment was moved. I am again so happy for this board. Gosh Poddle so sorry about the break-in. I am glad you were not hurt. About the ankles swelling, because you are not far out of post op the body is still getting rid of extra fluids through the lymph glands that are located in the abdominal cavity. Sometimes the swelling from surgery puts extra pressure on them. Do you put your feet up a couple of times a day? Also, taking in extra water helps. If it gets too bad or gets worse let your dr. know about it. I had swollen ankles with one of my surgery's not this time though.
Hi, thanks fotr the comments. Do you really think my ankles swelling is due to post op. ?? My operation was 9m months ago! Yes, Itry to put my feet up, and I wrap an ice pack round them, but doesn´t seem to make much difference. I have an appointment with my orthopeadic  dr. ( some other problem..................) so will show him and see what he says. People are telling me it´s my circulation, but haven´t had any problems up to now. I am taking your advice and upping my water intake. My feet are so swollen at the moment i can´t get my shoes on, but it is soooooo HOT today. Gonna put the a/c on now. My heartburn seems better with the medication. I am taking so many pills I rattle in the morning :)
So glad to meet you all, hang on in there!
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone has been diagnosed with intestinal bacteria overgrowth.  I'm taking a round of antibiotics (Flagyl) to see if it helps relieve some of my intestinal symptoms (bloating and gas mostly) that might be due to bacteria.  If you have taken it, how did it make you feel and did it help?  This is the 2nd day and my intestinal discomfort is actually worse than before.  I dont have much of an appetite and food/drink taste a little funny.  Any input would be great.

Thanks and take care~
Ah'lai
Hi ,
     I had to take Flagyl last year when I had Diverticulitis. Don´t worry if you feel awful, I felt so bad I ended up calling my dr. to see if that was normal. It was! I got bad diaorreah with it. But, it will clear up your infection for sure, so just bear with it. Good Luck !
Hi.  I have never been diagnosed with that, but during all of my diverticulitis attacks I was taking a combo of Flagyl and Levaquin.  Both used for different things but many times to kill intestinal bacteria, diverticulitis, etc.  I can tell you that I HATED Flagyl...lol.  It does make things taste weird... especially water which I love.  Also, it can cause diarrea, as well.  In my case(s) they had to keep putting me on them because they never fully cleared up the infection and eventually, that is why I had the resection....hope this helps.
Hi Everyone,
Since going back to work after being off for 7 months, I find myself very busy and feeling pretty good.  I am able to leave my desk to use the bathroom when needed, although have pretty good days.  As I've said, fish crackers and/or pretzels is what I eat throughout the day.  I walk on my lunch break which seems to help. I have a regular supper with my husband whether it be eating at home or going out.  This routine seems to be working out well.  
I have been reading all your posts daily and want to tell you, there is light at the end of the tunnel.  I feel pretty good saying that, since I was ready to give up not so long ago.
I do want to let you know this, I had watermellon this evening. (the new seedless kind, but actually has the white seeds throughout) and have been throwing up ever since.  Seeds was something I had to stay away from before my surgery with the bowel obstructions.    
Everyone, take care
Kim  
Hi.  Thanks for the info on the watermelon.  I have not had in almost a year, due to the seeds.  I was wondering about the seedless ones and have been tempted.  Also, I learned a lesson this weekend about food:  My sister had myself and hubby over for dinner.  Shrimp Scampi...garlic...Caesar Salad garlic  cheescake  no garlic...lol...wine.... lots of garlic.  Well, I was sick as a dog by the time I got home.... should have known to stay away from all that butter and garlic....lol....
Thanks so much about the watermelon, my husband was trying to get me to eat the new seedless kind! I don't want any obstructions! Hey sure id you when you said you got sick did you throw up? I was going out to eat italian this weekend, maybe I should watch the garlic because I am now 6 weeks out . I get new info everyday from you all. Kim glad you are back to work, I wonder if I will ever get to where you and sue are...ugh everyday I fight pain, problems with the bathroom and what to eat! Poddle, did not realize that you were 9 months out from surgery. No that swelling is not from the surgery this far out. You could be retaining fluid for a number of reasons. Maybe you should let your dr. know about it. I have had a sore throat for about a week think its from the acid on my stomach! Makes my throat swell and then you lose your appetite. I have not yet gained any weight back from surgery. How did you gals get back to eating 3 meals a day?
Today I am finally back to somewhat normal after the watermelon episode. Sad to say but I live my life in fear of the bathroom.  Sometimes, all I have to do is think about it and I'm back in there.  So three meals a day is not part of my life. I've lost close to 30 lbs since the surgery and most likely will not gain it back.  People say to me "how can you go without eating" but I say "what will I feel like if I do".
It's strange. You pretty much know even before you eat what kind of food is good for the way your stomach feels at the moment and how it will affect you.
We have a pretty big weekend ahead.   Going to the EAA and the Packer Family Night with tailgating involved.  We'll see how this all comes out - LOL.  Never thought I'd say this but I've actually gotten to like porta potties.    
Kim
Hi.  Well, I was very sick and ( hate to say this) but I ended up making myself throw up.  I get nausea, a lot from anxiety I think, but I have never been a big " vomiting person".  So I knew that if I didn't throw up, I would be nauseus (sp?) all night.  I felt better afterwards.  Anyway, I think it was the amount of garlic.  My sister must have used about 5 or 6 cloves ( I'm not kidding! LOL)  plus we drank some wine and had cheesecake for dessert.  My nurse friend says that with the bland way I have been eating for so long, it was probably just too much for my system.  So, I would maybe try a little Italian ( funny as I am full blooded Italian), if it were me, as I have been able to eat Italian since my surgery.  Just watch out for too much wine and rich desserts  lol.
Hi everyone.  I am new to this forum.  My situation is also a bit lengthy, but I will condense it as much as possible. I promise this does belong in this forum.   In June of this year, I was pregnant but, found out that the pregnancy was not viable.  The D&C was scheduled for June 18th.  The evening of the 17th, I had excruciating lower abdominal pains.  My husband called my OB's answering service (my OB was not the MD on call).  The OB on call told my husband to tell me to quit screaming (I had never been in this much pain before, and I have had a previous miscarriage) because it wasn't helping anyone. He also told my husband to bring me to the hospital through the ER, and he would meet us there.  We got to the ER after a very rough ride to the hospital and the OB did not meet us there.  The ER doctor contacted the OB and they just admitted me to the GYNO/SURG floor to wait for my scheduled D&C.  They loaded me up with pain meds and I slept until morning.
My OB came to the hospital to perform my D&C after he finished with his morning patients in office.  After the D&C, I should have been released from the hospital, but my blood pressure shot up to 165/110 and my heartrate was in the 160's.  I was kept in the recovery room for more than three hours at which time they sent me back to the GYNO/SURG floor.  My OB came in the next morning and ordered two ultrasounds of my abdomen.  He was worried that he perforated my uterus during the D&C or that a fallopian tube ruptured.  Neither turned out to be the case.  At 5:30 pm the day after the D&C, after drinking two BIG cups of radioactive gross liquid, I was taken for a CT scan of the abdomen.
At 7:00 pm, my OB came back to my room and told me that my appendix was enlarged and that he had my chart next in line for the surgeon on call to look at.  At 8:15 pm the surgeon on call came in and said that he did not believe the pain I was in was coming from my appendix but the fact that it was enlarged warranted an exploratory surgery.  By 9:00 pm I was being wheeled into the OR.  The surgeon made three tiny incisions in my abdomen and one in my belly button, took out my appendix, then noticed a large amount of infection in my abdomen.  Out came all the "small" tools, he made a larger incision from above my belly button to below my pubic bone.  

Turns out that the excruciating pain that I felt the night before the D&C (48 HOURS AGO) was my sigmoid colon perforating!!  He took out the damaged area (I am not sure how much of the sigmoid colon was removed) and fitted me for a very stylish colostomy bag!!! (Can ya feel the sarcasm?) LOL  I am one of the lucky ones though,  I should be able to have my "take-down" or re-connect surgery in the next six to eight weeks.  

Hang on to the edge of your seats boys and girls, are you ready to hear what caused the perforation???  All of the TUMS that I took for heartburn during my pregnancy!!!!  Apparently, my body wasn't able to "breakdown" the calcium carbonate and formed a rock that "blew a hole" in my colon.

Needless to say it was a big shock to wake up with a colostomy bag on my side, two drainage ports, a foley catheter, an NG tube and a PICC line that was inserted shortly after I woke up. Oh yeah, and an incision that required 17 staples to close.

Enough about me,  have any of you had an ostomy that was later taken down??
If you have can you please share some of you experiences?

Thanks for the chance to vent!

SMK
OH MY GOODNESS!  Don't you just love some doctors?  That is absolutely horrible.  I have'nt had an ostomy so I can't offer you any information.  But I was sent home from the ER with a "I think it's a ruptured ovarian cyst" and a bottle of vicodin only to go back after 12 hours of excrutiating abdominal pain and throwing up every half hour to find out that it was actually my small intestines that had twisted/died and was leaking gastric fluid into my abdominal cavitiy.  Im very sorry to hear about your miscarriage, I have had my share of those too.

Take care and I hope your recovery is a quick one!
Ah'lai  
Wow.  That is horrible! I have never heard of anything like that at all.....Were you taking a lot of Tums?  Well, you have come to the right place.  We all are recovering from colon surgery.  I did not have to have a colostomy only because mine was a scheduled, elective procedure but if it had perforated ( which is what they were watching for ) I would have one too, or had...I guess, as I am 6 months out. God bless and I am so sorry about your miscarriage.  I never had one but know people who have....
Thank you for the condolences!  
Sue:  I was taking ten tablets daily of the Tums, the maximum dose allowed on the bottle!  I work in a pharmacy and know that the "average" person can probably take a few more than that; I guess I choose not to be average! LOL

P.S.  I left out an important part of my story above... I spent four days in the ICU because the infection also got into my blood stream.  I had a high fever and was basically packed in ice for the first couple of days in ICU; until the antibiotics had a chance to start working!

It's a very eye-opening experience; and I wish all of you the best on your road to recovery.  It's obviously a long journey, but a journey that we are not walking alone.  Someone has been through it before us and someone will go through it after us!

This forum is more therapeutic than the psychologist I am paying good money to, to talk about my recent health issues!
I am so sorry to hear about all that you went through Rx girl! I too was sent home the first night of my obstruction and told it was going to be fine. I did nearly die before I got back the next day and spent 4 days on the ng tube before surgery and then had another surgery 4 months later to do a sigmoid resection and adhesion removal! I take tums all of the time. I sure hope that I am able to break it down. How do you know if it does not? Sue, I was reading some of your older posts about pain and I am so glad I did because you are one of the few that post on sigmoid resections. I am now 7 weeks out and have terrible lt sided cramps some days. They are stabbing about every few minutes and nothing relieves them. Today I had to lie down and just wait until I had a bm. My dr nurse just said to hang in there! I really hate this pain. Rx girl, please keep posting. These people are great, I know what you mean about finding someone who understands.Sue and across are great as well as everyone else. Thanks
Hi.  Yes, I am doing much better but still have some residual pain, depending on what I eat or do.  7 weeks is not a lot of time, believe me.  After 6 months, I am just now starting to feel alittle "normal", so be patient.  Kit, have they given you any meds for pain?  I am sort of surprised at the nurse's response but after the nightmare of this last year, nothing about the medical field surprises me any more.  My GI is an idiot but I love my surgeon. When it is time for a colonoscopy, he has offered to do it as he likes to " look at his own work".  Take care everyone.  I am off on vacation, tomorrow, until the 10th.  If I get near a computer, I will be checking posts...
i just stumbled on this site and i am very grateful.  my story is a bit different.  i had mesh inserted for an umbilical hernia.  the mesh became attached to my large intestine and i tore a hole in my intestine while exercising.  my initial surgeon misdiagnosed me with an infected mesh and tried to remove it without proper bowel prep.  Six surgeries later, i had 2 feet of intestines removed and have been diagnosed with Crohn's, despite no symptoms and clear biopsies on all surgeries.  i have noticed that it has taken a long time for my system to reset and adapt to the "shorter runway"  if i eat fried or fast food i will have diarrhea  it is very frustrating and i understand everyone's frustration.  i will make sure i have my day in court, but wanted to know how others were handling this as my dr's don't say much
Welcome barneypenny,
Thank you for your story! I was very interested to hear about your infection! What a mess for you with 6 surgeries! I have had 3. If you read a lot of the posts you will find that most if not all of use have to find a bathroom right after eating to go or even to pass gas! I have had about 2/3rds of my colon removed in two different places plus adhesions from the small bowel due to complications from the other surgeries. This board is great for information and Sue357, kimwilly and all of the people show great support. I know that dr says you can eat anything. I have found however to eat low fat diet or not it daily helps. How many times a day do you go? Have you had open surgery or key hole? Do you still run? I used to run a lot, but both times I had surgery it was for twisted bowels after I ran!
Take care and stick around!
Sue, if you check in hope your vacation is going great! Where are you going? I am so happy for you:) Thanks for all of the good advice and listening to me.
Just when I thought things were going well, I had another bowel obstruction yesterday.  That familiar horrific pain I had so many times before my surgery was back and I had to live through it because I will not go back to the hospital.  It started Sunday night and I am still feeling the ends of it. I've lost track with all the posts.  How many of you had to go through this more than once?  I will not go back.  I'll have to be laying on the floor and it will have to be without my knowledge before I have this surgery again.  
I think I did too much over the past weekend and lifted grandchilren too often.
Kim  
Greetings all. Glad to hear some of you are feeling better. I am more or less the same, still with a lot of gas now and then. Funny thing is some days I am not too bad. I have tried to analize the food I have eaten, and I think if I over do it with fruit and veg. it makes it worse, ( how is one supposed to eat the "5 a day" ?)  I am still on the pills for GERD, but I did have an attack early this morning, I am a bit stressed out, so probably that´s why. Some of you may remember I am 10 months post op. now from Sigmoid resection, does anyone think I may improve and get back even more to normal, or is this it? Today so far I have had at least 6 mini bm. Such a nuisance. I just wish I could have one or two "good ones" a day, instead of these poor excuses. And it is so predictable, even if I eat and apple, or a cup of tea and a biscuit, I know and hour later I have a mini movement. Are you all like that too?
Let me know !!!!!!
well, time for a glass of wine !
Kim I am so sorry that you went through an obstruction! It sounds like it worked itself out! I feel for you because I try so hard to be positive but this obstructive monster can strike us anytime and anywhere! Where does your pain start? I know exactly what you mean about going back to the hospital. Did you vomit or just cramp? When some of mine would start I immediately get in the tub and get warmed up and then change positions on the bed or floor. Sometimes that would work. 2 times it did not and I like you ended up in the hospital! I hope it was just overworking your muscles or something. I could be cramps also. I worry if I don't have a bm every day! I feel like a nut job:)
Poddle, after my first surgery after about 12 months I was finally getting to where I did not have the mini bms. I don't know why I get them too. Its even after a glass of water sometimes! I think its worse with the sigmoid area because that must be swollen and it only allows out a little at a time. Right now because of the extensive small bowel surgery I had and the sigmoid resection all at once I am on a bland lo residue diet that make it way worse! So far my small bowel needs lo residue. I don't think anyone but you on this board know the living hell this really can be. We all need to support each other! It helps when I get really down to know that there is a least a few others that have this nightmare!
Wow, just re-read my typing sorry if I sound down, poddle get me a glass of wine too and maybe we can cheer all three of us up:)
Two days later, I find myself still sick after that horrific obstruction.  Over the last six years, I have had them anywhere from three to six months apart.  They would last for a day and I would get on with it.  As you know,  last November was the final straw for my doctor and the surgery took place. I thought this fixed it and as long as I got through the recovery, all was well.  Still, I live in fear of a repeat occurance because my mother has had three resections done.  I swear I will not go back and it took all I had to talk my husband out of it.
As you may have read, I do not eat breakfast or lunch except for crackers and am very careful of what I eat at night.  I have learned over many years what I am able to digest so I am not sure what is going on.
It starts out with horrible pain behind the navel area and all you can do is lie in a fetal position to relieve it. I had headache, fever along with chills.  I was still vomiting Tuesday night and this started Monday morning.  Now (Wed night) I have terrible cramps which feel more like the stomach flu. I do not want to live this scene anymore.  
Take care,
Kim
Hello and thanks for your comments.Funny how the docs. don´t tell us about these problems before surgery isn´t it ? Altho´  what options did we have ? I had the resection because I was getting diverticulitis a couple of times a year and they said there was a danger the diverticulis would burst. I seem to be a lucky one compared to a few poor souls here, my only complaint are the frequent tiny bms. It´s okay when I am at home or in the office, but when I travel, which I need to do a lot for work, instead of focusing on business, I am focusing on where the nearest clean toilet may be ! Next week I have to go to Seoul, so that will be a nightmare ! Good to hear that you saw an improvement after a year Kit, it will be a year for me on the 13th. Sept. I had 3 colonoscopes after the op. to "blow" open my colon. Doc said that where they had rejoined the colon, scare tissue had narrowed it. It helped a bit, but I am still far from normal, he likened it to a three lane highway converging into a one lane, hence the backup of "traffic" ! It will all get through in the end, just takes longer !
Evening is here again, glass of wine is waiting,
take care all, remember, could be worse !
KIm, first of all, are you better today? I am very concerned about you! I know that you want to ride this out and see if you can do it at home, but please consider you hydration levels and the fact that even if it comes down to the dreaded hospital at least you will be alive. I know I bravely say no more for me, but I would go if just to please my family or others that care for me. I pray you are better today. I care and understand fully.
Poddle, if you travel that much it must be a very exciting world for you! Seoul! I would love to see that part of the world! I have to ask what part of the sigmoid did you have removed? Was it near the rectum or on the side of your body. I get a lot of side pain now. Its only 8 weeks out and I am having those mini bm's too. You said it did not help to open you up with the colonoscopes. You did not have to be put to sleep did you? I hope that if this is my problem it can be dealt with a scope.
Well, I am traveling next week too. I wonder if I will be getting pain from the plane ride. Did you have any the first time you flew after surgery?
Thanks again for the info. That was quite something to read a three lane converging into one lane. Doctors think they need to dumb all of this down for us:) Sounds like with your intellect you could handle the real story.
Hi, what a nice post ! Yes I think it was near my rectum as, bet you have had this humiliation too, when I had an examination post op. doc could feel the joint when he put his finger up my a.. !  Yes, every time I have had a colonoscope I have been put to sleep, haven´t you ? Must be horrendous if not. If I still have mini bms in a few months time I may request a further " blast " Can´t do any harm I suppose, it´s just that dreadful preparation !!!!!!!!! No I doubt you will get any pain when you fly, don´t worry about that. I know.......the doctors do treat us like idiots sometimes, but I think was being rather sweet :) Today I have been naughty and had pizza for lunch ( NOT a good idea) it was even that good ! I am considering taking everyones advice here and cut down on complex carbs. What do you think about that ?
Hi guys:) I came across this site looking for a reason for (now after reading some of this) an unmentionable and passing stomach pain reason. But internet is there and so easy to check. Anyway, I saw aross 123 mentioned electrolytes. I have just started Bikram yoga, & it's in a very very hot room and one sweat a lot. I have read a lot about Bikram & electrolytes is mentioned so much. Never heard about it b4, but now it's everywhere. The choice for putting it back in the body at the studio is coconut water. Pure coconut water. Nothing added. I know this is a very small part of your problems, but maybe it can do some good. You might already know it though. Check w/doctors first anyway.  And check out www.cocotap/nutrition
Bikram yoga is also amazing for the body. It can help for so much. Yoga at all really. Meditation is also something I hear from a lot of people is very healing too, because your stress is reduced. (specially good for stomach conditions) Take some practising & a teacher is good. Sure you can find private teacher if classes is hard to attend. I have yet to get into meditation, I will try deal w/the heat of the Bikram first. Another thing that might be good to check out is Aloe Vera. I know "Forever Living Products" Aloe Vera Gel is very good. See website. I really really hop u guys will get better & totally heal. It 's incredible how much can go wrong, but it's amazing how much our body can deal with & heal itself. So I cross fingers & toes for you all. Hannxxie
Hi I am very new to this site, was searching for some help with bowels and happened upon it. I had a bowel resection done Dec 15th, 2006. I sported an ileostomy around for the better part of 7 monthes. After the reversal, some days were so bad, I seen myself begging my surgeon to give me back the lil fellow. I find even now I cannot eat milk products, no cheese no eggs, etc. Very bad gas from these. I having been trying a trial and error judgement as of late with other foods. Im finding I will need to cut all types of hamburger out of my diet also.
I still have more bad days then good, Today is a free day as i call them, once im full again then the bad days will start. Someone once said to me, hey dont eat much it may help, guess they dotn realize we need food to survive. My question to u one and all is, does it ever get better. This 20 or so times a day to the bathroom once it starts, the irritability , the gas, the pains have got to go.
I also recieve transfusions almost monthly for a secondary condition, passed down from my mother, I am headed back into calgary next monday the 18th to a now doctor whom we hope can find where all the bleeding comes from, jave had many scopes done here and nothing can be found, yet when we do hemocratic tests etc the blood is evident.
Any input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks Donna
I am just getting the chance to read your post dated the 7th, the day I ended up back in the hospital.  I came home today (Sunday) and thank God they did not need to do surgery.again. Yes I swore I would not go back but I was just too dehydrated.  After a few days on IV, the obstruction corrected itself and I was able to eat and have a normal bowel movement. They told me if it happens again, that decision might be different. And you are right.  I cannot wait so many days or there may not be a decision to make. This episode made me think differently and will have a more positive attitude about my decision making next time. Especially after seeing my grandchildren's faces when they came to the hospital to visit me.  I thank you sincerely for your concern.  I will keep in touch. Take care.
Kim    
Hi all.  I do not have much to update you on.  I go to a GI doctor today at the request of my general surgeon.  I have to have a colonoscopy before my surgeon will schedule my surgery to remove the colostomy bag.  Thursday will be eight weeks since my perforation was detected and emergency surgery was done.  The doctor's told me they wanted my colon to heal for 8-12 weeks before they do the "take down."  

I saw my OB last week for another post-op check, and he asked me if he could sit in on my next surgery.  He wants to see how much scar tissue I have in my abdomen.  If I have too much scar tissue, I will not be able to continue fertility treatments.  Fearing that the scar tissue and adhesions would hinder growth of the uterus, and possibly cause more perforations and ruptures of other organs!  Isn't that just another wonderful "complication" of everything that we go through?
I already think the scar tissue is pretty bad...I have horrible bladder spasms.  The first three weeks after surgery the spasms were bad, I figured that was from the catheter I had for almost ten days.  Then everything seemed to return to "normal" (do we have normals anymore?) for over three weeks, then the spasms returned with a vengeance about two weeks ago.  Anyone else have these bladder issues?

I will let you all know what the new GI says this afternoon.  
I hope every day brings a little more relief for everyone!

SMK
Hi.  Welcome to all new people. Scroll up and you can read about my sigmoid resection 6 months ago. I just returned from 8 days back in Cleveland for a wedding and a family reunion. I ended up having so much pain again, where they did the resection, that I was taking pain meds ( hubby's for his back), I think I did a stupid thing.  I take Citrucell, once daily, and bought some Metamucil there.  Well, after 4 days, I was having weird bowel movements and the pain started, big time! I went and bought some Citrucell and started back on that.  BM's back to "normal", but the pain is still there.  I spoke with Pharmacist and found out that Metamucil has psyllium husks (sp?) in it but citrucell doesn't.  I don't know if that is what started the pain but OMG it was bad.  There were a few days that I was worried that hubby was going to have to take me to ER, which I did not want to do that, not when I live in Phoenix.  So I just held on until we got home.  Sad vacation, huh? Also, I suffer from Generalized Anxiety Disorder and have been a Clinical Depressive since the age of 9.  I am 51.  A lot of people were telling me that travel puts a lot of "stress on your body and throws your system off".  This was my first trip since the surgery.  Anyway, Thank God I took the day off, today, and have regular scheduled appointments with both my shrink and surgeon today.  I can not believe the recovery time for this thing..... I am switching GI;s as mine thinks I am neurotic so I am not even going to call him.  Thanks God the other 2 don't and are very caring and compassionate.  Has anyone else experienced these issues when traveling?  Any feedback/suggestions very welcome! The pain is where the surgery was done and also I feel very bloated.  I am wondering if switching the fiber caused it, plus I know the first few days I was not eating the way I usually do.  Everyone, take care and it is good to be home.  
HI there Kim! So glad you are back home and no surgery! I prayed for you everyday! I know that its bad when you have to go and I pray that its the last time. I know how you feel I have been there 3 times and all of mine were surgery too! I just wish they could just find a way to cure all of this! Did you ever find where the obstruction was this time? I am your forever friend! Please do not give up posting here. We are the ones that get it and understand all of it from the doctors to the pain to the fear of obstructions!
Sue, glad you made it back! Oh my I am so sorry that you had such pain! I have learned when I travel to take everything with me that I normally do and never eat anything that is different than home. The air plane trip alone is hard on the body. I feel pain on my resection too. We both had the sigmoid one. I went to my dr after 8 weeks. No more pain meds. He told me there are nerves that could have been damaged that cause pain there or a hernia. I do not like this surgeon. I had a stitch that had came to the surface on my incision  and they numbed it and took it out! It was a nylon one and really hurts there now! Anyway, tell me what your dr says about your pain and why you have it. I hate travel now. I have to go with my husband this thurs for 4 days out of town and I am dreading it. We used to love to go places and traveled a lot. It puts such stress on our marriage because he thinks I should do everything like we used to. Right now I am just in so much mental and physical pain that I don't seem to get any excitement out of things. If I can get a bm and get through the day I am just existing.
Well, hope I was not a downer:) Just reality bites some days.
Did you get any diet suggestions kim or sue. I need to learn from you both. Good luck Rx girl and all the new people. I love to hear from everyone!
Thank God you are still here Kim!
Hi.  Glad to hear I am not the only one who has issues when traveling.  I wonder why that is?  What you said about the airplane trip? Yes, I learned a valuable lesson about fiber as well as eating.  Acouple of nights after we got there, my bil had a cook out and as I am Italian, he bought Italian sausage.  The real stuff...not like we have here...lol.  Well, you all should have seen the autopsy I did to try to get all the fennel seeds out, but think I may have missed a few.  Also, I am with you with the mental pain as well.  I just got back from my shrink.  He is switching my meds as he does not think they are working.  Neither do I.  It *****....I am finding out that it is hard enough to go through this surgery and the looooooong recovery( longer than he said, by the way) but to have mental issues as well. Well, that has made it tougher.  Take care all....Let's all have a good day....
Hey, glad you are trying a new med! I hope it works soon!
When you travel on an airplane you do get more swelling. There is 30% more pressure on the body. When I worked as a nurse the dr. I worked for would not let anyone fly with abdominal surgery for at least 10 days. He was great (now deceased) about explaining a lot of things. I had not had surgery then, I wish he was around today:) I would bet that a fennel seed got stuck somewhere. Even if you do not have anything done with the small intestine or anywhere but your surgery site when the abdominal cavity is opened up it takes a while for all the swelling to go down. My surgeon says 4 months. So nice to see you on line again! Please encourage me to leave on a trip if not just for the mental change:)
Wow...I didn't know that about the pressure on the body but it makes sense.  Also, you are probably right about the seed....guess I am a lousy autopsier.. My surgeon is ordering a CT ( I think for my peace of mind) then I asked for a referral to another GI as I am through with mine.  It's hard, as I get attached to docs and people but I spoke with my friend who is a nurse and she could not believe the little comments he was making, etc. Anyway, I am starting a new med today and tapering down on the other.  We will see what happens. I really like my surgeon...he is funny and compassionate.  That is how my GI use to be, until I got sick.  Anyway, surgeon couldn't feel any "inflammatory changes" but ordered the CT because of the pain I told him I was having.  Kit, if you want to travel, do so.  Everyone is different and I have this anxiety thing where I worry about everything.  We are going to DC, next month for a few days, so I hope everything is straightened out by then.  Take care all.
Hi all!

I went to the new GI doctor yesterday, and I got a little more than I bargained for.  Not only do I have to have a colonoscopy (going through the stoma AND down yonder), I have to have an endoscopy also.  I let him know that I have a nostril available if he wanted to "violate" me that way also! lol
I am really dreading the colon prep since I have the colostomy bag.  That ought to be a fun evening.  I won't be posting  anything next Tuesday night! lol
You all have me a little scared.  I had a part of my sigmoid taken out and was given a colostomy to allow the colon to heal.  The re-connect should be anytime soon.  (after I get the results of the colonoscopy, I can schedule the surgery.)  But, I am afraid of the pain that you all are talking about.  I know we all had our surgeries for different reasons and under different circumstances.  I wonder if the 2-3 months they are allowing my colon to heal will make any difference.  I gather from previous posts that I have read, that most of you had yours resected at the time they removed your damaged area.

I can't believe I go back to work this Friday.  Short term disability is just that...short!  I am only going back part time. I couldn't handle full time at this point!  My surgeon said that I will be in the hospital for a week after the reconnect and out of work for at least four to six weeks. Depending on if the have to cut my abdomen open again.  Good thing I have worked for the same company for 13 years!  

As for the anxiety...I never had anxiety issues before all of this happened eight weeks ago.  Now, with every sharp abdominal pain that I have I start to panic to the point that it is difficult to breathe and I can feel my heart pounding in my chest and head.  Maybe once I get back into some sort of routine, the number of attacks will decrease.

My surgeon said that between 6-8 weeks after the first surgery, I can start introducing foods such as multi-grains, fruits and vegetables.  HA.. After one small bowl of Honey Bunches of Oats cereal, I decided that I didn't really miss cereal anymore!  LOL  I spent the entire next day emptying out my colostomy bag.  Maybe I will just eat cereal for my colon prep instead of drinking all of that wonderful stuff! LOL

I will keep you all updated. I see my surgeon again next Tuesday morning.

SMK
Hi everyone. Just to update you all, I have been overeating fruit and veg. lately and wow can I tell . I feel so bloated and breaking wind like it is going out of fashion. I think I will stop the fruit and veg. for a day or two and see if that helps. What a struggle. Sometimes I just think it would be best to stop eating all together! I just love fruit and find it such a sacrifice not to eat apples and pineapples etc. But I am going to try for a few days and see if that makes any difference. I can´t take fibre drinks as that makes it worse, anyone tried any new products ?

Keep well all
I know what it feels like to have that wind and bloat! I started to drink a liquid supplement called boost and then I ate some ice cream! Wrong! I bloated and had the most horrible gas! The worst part is you have it all day and have bms all day. Not large ones just enough to keep you by the bathroom! I think if you can go to more proteins for a while and cut down the fruits for a few days it will help. Our systems are all new to everything right now. The normal bacteria and flora that is in the bowels is not there. When I was 3 years out it was heaven about eating. I actually thought that I was going to never have this problem again. I was had open surgery so I got small bowel adhesions. You had key hole surgery so you probably won't get them. Rx girl we all react differently. You don't need to be scared. We are all here for you and understand. You need to remember you might not have one problem like I have! Take care! Poddle are you still having mini bms?