Aa
A
A
Close
Avatar universal
Protonix poisoning
I am a physician whose Mother was poisoned by Protonix.
The first time she took it she had a body rash which was treated by po and im steroids.
Her doctor admitted her to a local hospital for other reasons and started her on IV Protonix.
She quit breathing became unconscious and died two moths later from pancreatitis.
Here is why PPIs and especially Protonix are so dangerous.
PPIs suppress the production of gastrin which contains hydrogen and controls the opening of the Sphincter of Oddi.
The Sphincter of Oddi is where the digestive juices from the Gall Bladder and Pancreas are released into the small intestine.If it doesn't open the digestive juices back up into the Gall Bladder-which can rupture and the liver and Pancreas.
The Liver can repair itself but not the Pancreas.
PPIs are dangerous,particularily Protonix.
There are other medicines beside PPIs that are far less dangerous.


This discussion is related to reactions to protonix.
Cancel
2 Answers
Page 1 of 1
Avatar universal
I am truly very sorry for the loss of your mother.  I must tell you though that PPI's are actually very safe compared to other medications.  They are used so often because hardly anyone has problems with them and because they work so well compared to the alternatives.  I'm curious why you think she was poisoned by it as opposed to just having complications from an allergic reaction.  I understand that you must be very upset by this but just because your mother had a horrible reaction to it, doesn't mean it shouldn't be used for anyone.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Avatar universal
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Avatar universal
I called it a poisoning because she was IVed with Protonix twice even though her drs knew she was allergic.Allergic reactions to Protonix are many and are 99 times out of 100 diagnosed as something else.Unfortunately a certain number of patients will experience severe reactions to Protonix such as pancreatitis.That is why Altana,the German company who developed Protonix made Wyeth set aside monies to cover such reactions before they sold the patent to Wyeth.The drs who "poisoned" my Mother tried to change the med records to say her pancreatitis was caused by alcholism.She wasn't a drinker and autopsy proved that.It has been a long and very expensive situation for me.The drs who treated her lawered up and the drs haven't had to appear in court one time.Things are moving faster now and I will soon be after the drs and hospital who tried to change the records and bury her with their gross negligence.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Avatar universal
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Avatar universal
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Gastroenterology Community Resources