Gastroenterology Community
RUQ pain-no diagnosis

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

RUQ pain-no diagnosis

Hello, I'm a 25 year old female with RUQ pain that sometimes radiates to my back, and i am sometimes having loose stools for the past 2 months.  I also have a slight bump/bulge right under my ribs on the right side.  I previously had my gallbladder removed about 5 years ago.

I have been to many doctors and nobody seems to know what is going on.  I went to the ER when the pain was really bad and they told me I was constipated based on the x-ray that they took.  However I was having no problems with going to the bathroom.  

After the pain did not go away I was referred to a surgical consult where they did a CT scan in which they said everything was normal except for a slightly enlarged liver, They felt they ruled out the buldge being a hernia.

I was then referred to a gastroenterologist who did an ultrasound and an endoscopy.  The ultrasound was normal and the endoscopy showed i had a hiatal hernia, but the intestinal system was fine.  The doctor said that they did not believe the pain was related to the hiatal hernia.  

The pain does not seem to be food related, but does increase upon exertion.  I also had one alcoholic beverage about a week ago and that increased my pain, but i do not drink on a regular basis.  Does anyone have any ideas of what i should do next.  The doctors i am seeing dont have any ideas and are now prescribing medicines like fiber and hyomax, which im not sure will help.  Right now i am just dealing with the pain, but i dont want this to go on forever, please help.  
So, they told you that your liver was enlarged and then didn't tell you what to do next?? That's not cool!  Your enlarged liver in itself could be causing your pain and can be caused by anything from our awesome western diet to birth control pills to hepatitis. What are your blood tests like? Have they done a liver panel or anything to make sure your liver is functioning at 100%? I'm sure there could be a connection between your gall bladder removal and the enlarged liver, too, though I wouldn't know what it could 'technically' be beyond your liver just kind of being 'irritated' by the change. Sorry, not that helpful, but just some things to ask your doctor about if you're making a list. :-)

Yes, they just seem to be giving me the run around with all of this.  They didn't tell me what the specific numbers were or which labs were run, but they said that blood tests were normal.  I've been taking the fiber, but i don't know about this new perscription for Hyomax, im kind of weary about taking it.