Gastroenterology Community
Severe abdominal pain in waves

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Severe abdominal pain in waves

I've had severe abdominal pain for over 15 years.  The pain presents as waves of pain similar to labor pains with a peak then subsiding then starting the process over.  The pain originally seemed to be caused by eating things like broccoli or raw cabbage, but now occurs after eating most fruits or vegetables.  The pain is so intense that I can't move.  Lying on my back and holding my bent legs tightly to my chest sometimes relieves the pain a little.  The pain usually last for 3-6 hours.  I had my appendix removed about 10 years ago because a doctor thought that was the problem, but my appendix was fine when the surgery was performed - they removed my appendix nonetheless.  While the pain is present, I'm not usually able to pass gas.  I went to the ER during one of these attacks that lasted for more than a day.  I had a CT scan done which read "ischemic collitus," but my doctor insisted that could not be the case.  Taking medication for gas sometimes helps a little, but doesn't help all the time and never relieves the pain completely.  These attacks have increased in frequency over the years to the point that I'm afraid to eat a salad or any type of raw fruits or vegetables.  My doctor has been unable to come up with a diagnosis or treatment plan.  Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.  
C,  I am experiencing this same thing.  Severe suprapubic pain that leaves me screaming in pain that lasts for about 20 seconds then leaves for about two minutes.  I can feel when it is coming back.  It comes in waves just like labor.  My doctor also dx me with ischemic colitis.  This last severe episode I did have a GI bleed along with it but the GI doctor thinks the pain is urologic.  The hospitalist (I was hospitalized for a week) thinks it is intersticial cystitis.  I am having another episode now and was looking for info online!  The pain is unbearable!  Did you ever get a definitive dx?