Gastroenterology Community
Sharp pain under right rib

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Sharp pain under right rib

I have had a sharp pains under my right rib (seems to be under the last rib) for many years now. It always went away fairly quickly, so I never worried about it too much. I used to find relief if I held my breath and rolled over on my right side (the side that hurts). However, lately the pain has been for days at a time and nothing helps. During the worst times, it hurts to breath in at all, I can't move my right arm or rotate. I can't sleep on my side and am in constant pain. It also feels bruised to the touch. I am a 24 year old female and have been suffering for the past 8 months with dizziness and flu like symtoms (symptoms). I have been diagnosed with hypoglycemia and am waiting for a 3rd CT scan in November. The first two showed several lymph nodes in my lower right quadrant. I'm assuming when these flair up is when I get sick with fever, vomitting, and diarrhea. My doctor is thinking it could be endometriosis since they have ruled out appendicitis and gall bladder with CT scans and blood work, and since I have a history of extreme pain when on my periods. I don't know if this pain could be related to endometriosis or these lymph nodes in my lower right abdomen. My doctor said I need to wait one year from my first CT scan to see if they are growing or not. Can anyone give me any advise? Thanks!

This discussion is related to Pain Behind Right rib-(Not underneath Rib).
Tags: diarrhea
Did your doc ever do any tests to look at the state of your gallbladder? Upper right quadrant pain is often an indication of a gallbladder issue. You may want to ask about doing a GB ultrasound and HIDA scan with CCK injection if the pain truly is in the upper right quadrant. You should also get a blood test that measures your liver enzyme levels and you pancreatic enzyme levels.

GB issues can also result in vomiting and diarrhea.
I asked my doctor if it could be gall bladder and he said my symptoms didn't really match it. At the time I was going to him with pain in my lower right quadrant though, and had 2 CT scans with IV injections, both showing several large lymph nodes in my lower right quadrant. I think he was pretty focused on something reproductive because of that. But now with this sharp pain under my ribs I'm wondering if the lymph nodes are spreading or if it is my gall bladder. I wasn't sure what type of tests to ask for though. I sure do appreciate the advise! I will ask my doctor for these tests and hope we find something out! =)