Trying to help dad understand Laparoscopic Nissen Fundoplication

I'm trying to help my dad figure out whether he should have Laparoscopic Nissen Fundoplication. With the exception of cataract surgery he had on both eyes, all surgeries he ever underwent made his quality of life worse. He told me he feels "half-dead" because of the terrible taste in his mouth and throat.

We would like guidance on:
1. What is the success rate of surgery?
2. How to find out number of surgeries doctor performed, what % were successful. According to past experience for other surgeries, many hospitals don't want to release this VITAL information.
3. My dad strongly dislikes taking any medications. Will he have to continue taking medications after surgery?
4. How long will recovery take for surgery? Will he be limited in his activities. How about his quality of life during recovery from surgery?
5. Right now, my dad has to limit the amout of food he eats, and the type of foods, i.e. must stay away from acidic foods. After surgery, can he eat anything he wants, to his hearts content?

Please let us know if there are other things we should research. Do understand, my father is terrified of surgery, but he and his doctor tried everything for relief, and my dad feels "half-dead"

To read details of his medical history, please go to:
http://researchmedsurg.blogspot.com/2010/07/gastro-intestinal-history.html

To read about his daily medications and diet, please go to:
http://researchmedsurg.blogspot.com/2010/07/daily-medications-and-diet.html

Thank you for your guidance and patience.
Bump. No replies?
Is my approach to finding a good surgeon for my dad proper? Or is my post too long. Any guidance you give is most appreciated. Thank you for your time
Hi, just wondering if your dad has had the nisson and how has it worked for him. I am 59 and had a nissan fundoplication July 2009 and four months later it failed, I had another one March 2010 and it again has failed. I am scheduled for another one Sept 23 only this time it will be the open with a hospital stay of around 8 days with drains and lots of pain he said. Not looking forward to this one at all but now my heartburn and gerd are the worst it has ever been. I now take 40 mg nexium but still have symptoms, only not as bad. Hopefully your dad only has to go through one surgery. My surgeon is very good and I really like him, it is just on of those things that happens. I was in hospital for two days first time, four second as I developed pnemonia; they gave me strong pain meds which kept me sleeping in bed so developed the pnemonia quickly and had breathing problems and then had to have lovenox shots in my stomach (gross). I was on liquids and baby food for 8 weeks, then blender food and gradually normal food, steak etc is still a problem and I still burp a lot, vomit a lot etc. I can do anything tho, after four weeks back to my normal self. After surgery you really can't eat anything to you heart's content as your stomach won't let you. Before the surgery failed (hernia came back and stomach went into my diaphragm) I had trouble with shredded wheat, strawberries, hard foods, doughy food as buns, doughnuts and such. Ice cream and milk did not like me either. Just wondered how his went. I am in northern California.