Gastroenterology Community
Welchol/Amitriptylin for nervous stomach?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

What med's are usually given?  I was a bit stunned when I found out I was given cholesterol meds and a antidepressent.  I am not depressed nor do I have high cholesterol.  I am taking them hoping they help.  
I would assume they're giving you welchol for diarrhea and the Ami for GI spasms. This is a combination that is given to many (or combinations like it) when someone is experiencing unexplained abdominal pain (perhaps due to spasms) and diarrhea. Ami is used fairly frequently in GI problems, so don't consider it a 'head med.' It is, but in this case it's probably being used to work on the receptors in your GI tract - not your head, although it will do that, too.

You didn't mention your symptoms, so I'm making some broad generalizations, but this combination could also be used if someone was having problems after gallbladder surgery, etc.
You are correct about my symptoms.  And yes, gallbladder removed about a yr ago.  Thank you.
Try going low fat and see if it helps. And if you can control the loose stools with calcium instead of the welchol, it might be good to try to do so. Google 'lnape and calcium.' You should find posts from L Nape discussing the use of a specific form of calcium and it's use. But don't use the calcium if you are prone to stone formation, or if you have parathyroid problems.
My diet is very low fat already.  I lost about 80lbs 2 yrs ago and have maintained it without working out.  The dr believed the extreme weight loss along with the very low fat diet may have played a part of my gallbladder going "bad".  I did not have stones.  

My cholesterol is about 100.  I was worried that taking the Welchol would make it even lower.  Can cholesterol be too low?  The ami knocks me out cold.  I have to admit that I am sleeping better than I have in yrs.  All that being said they are working.  The symptoms are much better and i do feel great.  
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers