Gastroenterology Community
blood and blood clots in stool

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

blood and blood clots in stool

I am a male in mid-thirties.  I have been producing (red) blood in my stool in varying degrees for the past two years.  Its never black and its always fresh and on the ends of the stool.  Sometimes its there and sometimes not.  This week however the ammount of blood present has almost doubled and I have passed a couple of clots (deep red) one the size of my thumb.  

There is no pain or notable constipation.  My only other unexplained symptom is being very tired a couple of times a week.  

I cant really afford to go to the doctor for this.  can these clots be dangerous??
Tags: anus, Colon

Hi - the reason you are tired is probably because you are becoming anaemic from the continuous loss of blood.  You must get this checked out because rectal bleeding is never normal.  The causes can be minor - or, at about age 40+ - more sinister.

It's easy to sit here and say "find a way to get the money for a doctor's visit" - but I feel that you must overcome this constraint.  You may have to find a lot more money if you delay seeking medcial help that may not cost too much at the moment and run the risk of major medical costs later.

I assume that you live in the USA and our medical system is quite different here in the UK, but if finance is a real hindrance to you, can you not present yourself to the E.R. if/when you have a more pronounced bout of bleeding?

Good luck
Morecambe
Also, you can go to the county health clinic, they only charge according to what you make, which is a very small amount, to no charge.  Going to the E.R., depending on where you live, they want a certain amount of money up front, find out what it is by calling them, if you have no insurance.  If you have served in the military, you can go to the VA for free, I don't think they've passed any laws yet about health problems have to be service related.  Also, talk to the department of social services, see if you are eligible to get any help with medical bills.

While it's probably you've got hemorrhoids that are mighty goofed up, or perhaps an anal fissure, I have a friend who was 39 years old when he was diagnosed with Stage 3 colon cancer, he came into the hospital because he had a lot of blood in his stool.  He is a very tough fellow and so he is fortunately alive and fairly well 20 years later.  And I agree with Morecambe about the anemia, losing lots of blood is just so draining to a person and can get serious.

You could try putting some hemorrhoid ointment, it shrinks them so they don't hurt so much.  You could also put KY jelly on there after showers as a regular thing, so it will make waste easier to pass, and thus won't tear into the hemorrhoids.  If your stool is hard all the time, you are not getting enough fiber and water in your system, so you can work on that, so as not to irritate the hemorrhoids so much.  And if it's an anal fissure, those things are hard to heal, but you can do a search for threads on this forum that relate to those words, and you'll find a world of folks who have those and what treatment they use to keep those things straight.

But, I mean, when you look at the big picture, which is how I see things, it just ain't normal to have a lot of blood continually coming out the end of your digestive tract, even if it is somewhat intermittent.  If you keep bleeding after trying some home remedies, I hope you will visit a physician soon to at least make sure it's not a big deal.
Hi, I have just been through the same thing. It started with a little and in about 2 yrs it got to be the same thing, alot with the clots and more and more blood. This what I know now! I had colonoscpy done on Nov 06 nata. Then I have AVMs in the duroldenal loop. My caps are blowing up in my tummy.Then I have had to have them burned twice. When the bleeding did not stop I had to have another colonoscpy done and guess what, I had a 3cin tubuolvillous adenoma polyp that they had to take out. She said I had inside hemorroids (hemorrhoids) too! I learned this, if it bright its in the colon if its clots it could be from either. I now have had to have hemorroid stapling done on 8/4/08. Yes its note normal to bleed like that and you can loose alot of blood that can become not good for you. Lose of blood  in that amount is never good. So go get you a Grastro guy and get it checked right away. If you have any colon cancer in your family you can get it just because your there relation, Geans you know? I now am doing real good because I had it checked out early. You never know whwts in there till they take look see! It might be killing you slowy but surely. Hemorroids (hemorrhoids) or cancer or what ever go now and check it out! The polyp was precancer it might of saved my life to get it out this early!

sister mtt