can't get rid of pinworms
I can't get rid of pinworms. Have had them for 8 years now.  I have taken many prescriptions and over the counter meds and home remedies.  Now my rectum hurts.  Need advice on getting rid of these horrible things.  I'm fed up!!
Wow...I am amazed at how many reponses I've gotten since my original post!  I quit checking this forum because I wasn't getting reponses and when I checked today for the first time in a very long time I was happy and sad at the same time.  HAPPY that we are not CRAZY thinking we are the only ones dealing with the pinworms and at the same time  SAD that we are not the only ones dealing with the pinworms.  (If that makes any sense).

OK...here is my story.
Oddly enough I remember the very night I felt one for the first time. It was Nov. 4, 2001.  I was laying in bed reading a Harry Potter book and I felt one wiggling.  I panicked a little but said nothing to my husband who was laying next to me because I thought he would think I was nasty.  I thought, I'll call the pediatrician and get some pills to treat my whole family and be done with it and never thought in my wildest dreams that I would be sitting at my computer in this forum many years later still trying to get help.

Oddly enough my husband has never gotten them.  We sleep in the same bed we use the same shower but use separate commodes.  My youngest daughter, now 16,  use to be able to get ride of them.  Through the years she might have gotten them maybe 3 times but the medicines always worked for her.  This year,  They aren't working for her . They for some reason are becoming resistant to medicines in her body(mebendazole, pinx).  My oldest daughter and myself have never been able to get rid of them.

We are very clean.  we never eat with out washing our hands. we change sheets every 3 days or so....so on and so on and so on.

OK...now ...What's my opinion of doctors?  The first 4 years of dealing with this I went to 5 different doctors: A pediatrician, 2 general doctors and 2 gastrointestinal doctors. After being prescribed mebendazole after mebendazole I finally gave up seeking help from them.  When I would tell them that the meds were not working they literally would look at me like I was crazy and bluntly tell me that they work and there is nothing else to prescribe. And that there are no other researches being done for new drugs because these meds work.  I'm sure there are some really good caring doctors out there but I haven't found one yet.  The ones I have delt with are smug and condiscending and down right don't care about us.  They simply wash there hands of us.  

After I realized I would have to find a cure on my own (with no luck), several years went by, until last year I simply was just not feeling well.  I decided to go to the doctor and reluctantly told him about our issue. He then sent us to a different gastrointerologist.  My daughter and I both had an endoscopy and and a colonoscopy. But he found no pinworms in our colon which I believed the colon cleanser prep that we had to take washed out the ones visible to the naked eye.  So because he didn't see anything he won't try to treat us for it even though he mentioned before the colonoscopy that there are parasitic drugs that he could get across the border.  I told him to get my lab results from my last doctor who diagnosed the worm in 2005  but he wouldn't do it.  I don't understand why.  

And once again we are on our own to try to find a cure.  I have been watching that New TV series Monsters Inside Me to maybe gather some information about different types of medications.

We have tried many many different things herbal and of course nothing has worked. I hope that one day we can make doctors wake up and realize what is going on.  One of the problems I think is is that they are all in denial.  I guess one way to wake them up to this epidemic is to hand them a handful of eggs and see if they can get rid of it themselves.  (just kidding)  I would never do that but It has crossed my mind.  I have to find some humor in this.  Good Luck to everyone here.  And If you find a cure please let us know.  
Sorry for being so long winded!
Gah! Hello, I am Olivia, and I am only 13. Pinworms are the reason for my paranoia. I've had them for three and a half years on and off. I've gone to "doctors" who say these stupid meds will work, but nope. I've taken Reece's Pinworm Medicine and others so many times!!! I've also taken on the job of cleaning every nook and cranny of my room. I even cut my nails that I loved, but that's no big deal. It doesn't help I fear many things... So I cry myself to sleep. Thanks everyone for letting me know I'm not alone.
I wanted to add a few more things...

To: GRAYAM......when one of the doctors acted like I was just imagining things I explained to him that I can feel them wiggling down my legs and up my back and on my buttom he just shrugged his shoulders.....I also have wished in the past that I would catch the flu because i thought that maybe if my body temperature went up it might kill them because they can't handle temperature change.  (wishful thinking).  Hang in there!

To: HOPELESS080780.....I have done my share of crying to....It's a horrible thing to have to be going through and especially if your children are infested as well.  My oldest daughter had to go through high school and all of her college life with it....It has really affected her social life and self esteem.  I live in a small town and I worry about who is going to find out.  I wonder how many people in this small town are dealing with it as well.  I've read on the internet that sometimes they simply just go away.   That is a laugh.  Obviously the people who write those articles have never had to deal with this.

To: SUGARBEET.......We have taken the Diatomacious Earth food grade and it didn't work for us but I was in another forum back in 2002 that was started by someone else.  A woman in that forum tried it and it worked for her for some reason.  What everyone needs to know about DE is that you have to be careful about inhaling because it can act like asbestos to your lungs.  Thanks for your imput!!

To: KH07.....My heart goes out to you being so young.  It's one thing me going through this at my age but to see a child going through this is terrible.  Maybe one day we'll get this fixed!!!!  Hang in there!!

To: SICKOFIT08.....A good name for them could be a**holes. I have named them a few times myself.  At times I think we will just have to live with them.  Then I get my second wind and start fighting again and doing research.  As far as the cleaning goes I'm not as crazy as I used to be.  It use to make me frantic.  I just focus on the main things like the floors and sheets and good hand washing. I rub clorox cleanup on the toilet seat in the mornings after our showers. I fill the tubs up with scalding hot tap water a few inches just to kill that nights eggs.  It keeps me from having to be around so many harmful cleaners.  I don't let my girls sit on the furniture in short shorts and things like that.  Nobody does the laundry but me that way I know there is no cross contaminations.  

To: AFELLOWSUFFERER......I actually started taking a probiotic called Acidophilus.  Each pill has 1 Billion good bacteria in it.  My daughter and I have started feeling better.  The worms are deficating inside of you and can cause you to feel ill.  You can get Acidophilus at walmart at the herbal vitamins for anyone who is interested.  I also started taking a melatonin that you can get there as well.  I don't know if it's my imagination but it seems to calm them down somewhat and I can get a few hours good night sleep.

To everyone in this forum please keep in touch.  thanks

I came because I can't get rid of the pinworm, I also have end stage Lyme and it is like the invasion of the body snatchers!!
Grayam you mentioned you suspect a lack of digestiv eenyzymes might be the problem. I know that a lack of hydrocloric acid will cause candida albican so I did a search and sure enough a lack of HCI wll cause parasite and worms to grow.
You can buy this over the counter and just experiment with the dose. I did when I was first tested then kept forgetting to take it- Lyme brain - but sure won't now. Thanks for the memory jog and good luck
and strict diet.  
I did more reseach on the pinworm eggs and found we need to add HCI and digestive enyzmes to kill the parasites and eggs in the digesstive tract. Plus a diet of absolutly no carbs exept from vegatables. I had read where grains and some carbs are fine but apparently not- only from vegatables. So, it would be a diet of meat and veggies. Sure worth a try. And thanks you to everyone here for the information
I've had it for 10 years and just got the courage to go to the doctor. They gave me these 2 pills and I was SO excited to get rid of them. I've taken the first one 3 days ao and I FLIPPED when I saw that they were back! So I decided to see what was up. I found this site. And now I'm worrying they'll NEVER go away. Wish me luck when I take the 2nd one in 2 weeks...
Hi everyone,

I feel bad for everyone on here.  When I was growing up we had a run-in with pinworms!  We did not have money to go to the doctor so my mom was very much into natural remedies.  I remember she would give us wormwood and it is really bitter.  The little nasty things went away for good!  I have never had them again.  I noticed someone else on here recommended wormwood.  Maybe google and find out exactly how to use it.  

God bless you all.
I've taken wormwood in the pill form and it didn't work. It wasn't bitter.  Did you take it in the raw form? And, if so,  does she remember where she got it? If it works in raw form , and we can find it,  that would be awesome!
I too have had pinworms for 6 years. I've tried raw wormwood, garlic, carrots, zinc oxide, perscription medications, milk baths, papaya seeds, apple vinegar, aloe vera - basically every home remedy and perscription med out there. And the doctors laughed in my face and no longer even tried to help. Same story as you guys. However, I have a slight twist - my vagina is the only area infected. I cannot for the life of me get rid of them. I've been stuffing anything and everything up there in hopes of at least making a dent in their numbers. I've washed myself out with soap and have even been resorting to harmful chemicals. I'm getting desperate people! Has anyone ever destroyed a vaginal infestation before?

A helpful tip for anal victims:
To prevent travel between my vagina and colon, at night I tape my anus with medical tape. It works wonders especially if you feel the actual worms themselves as opposed to the itchy secretion. It also traps the eggs to prevent further reinfection.
I wonder if cortizone works? it says yo can put it on you anal and genital area ut i just dont know please helpp!!
15 years and I have not gotten rid of my pinworms for even one day!
Doctors: Worse than useless. I really do wish they would get worms so then I could laugh in their faces!
Health Food Store remedies: I've spent thousands of dollars. They don't work.

What works somewhat is fresh garlic, fresh bitter melon, any kind of oil as it makes the intestinal walls slippery and they can't hold on. Gallons and gallons of water with fresh lemon and lime. And pharmaceutical grade bentonite clay powders that you mix with water and a little fruit juice. It's an ancient remedy.

Drugs work for this, just not the drug that the doctors give you. That drug is USELESS.

Go to wikipedia and look up "anthelminthic" drugs
10 out of 12 of them are not approved for use in the US.
WHY IS THAT? BECAUSE THEY WORK, THAT'S WHY
I have ordered several of these drugs and I finally have had some results.

You are very brave. I know what you mean about "a second wind". After I muster my money and resources and make a run at them, and I fail, I feel so emotionally and psychologically drained. It takes time to muster another attack.

I like to remember that we are all animals and we are all the work of the same creator. Most people's bodies just get rid of this naturally. Mine does not. There is a reason for that, but perhaps I'll never know it. Good Luck and God Bless You...
wow....15 years.  It's been like a nightmare that you can't seem to wake up from hasn't it.  Please let me in on where you can order the drugs that are starting to work for you.  We might try that if our new plan doesn't work.

Here is our new plan of attack:
We bought something at an herb store called Parastroy  by NaturesSecret.com. It comes in a box with two bottles, Para-rid and Para-sweep with 90 pills in each. My 16 year old is using it.  She started it on Friday and so far she feels like it is working.  I open two pills of each bottle and put it into a small glass of eggnog to make it taste and absorb better. She does it twice a day.  

My oldest daughter and I are taking something called Oil of Wild Oregano(oreganol P73).  website is www.p-73.com.  I had seen it on a show called Your Health with Dr. Becker (his is a different brand)(http://www.bioinnovations.net/prodinfo.asp?number=BN63105)and he specifically said it gets rid of parasites.  Soooooo,  I spent my money again and we are trying it.  My oldest daughter started it on Friday and  she is seeing a difference.  If you have a Whole Foods around you , you might be able to find it there.(if your interested).  But it must be wild picked from the mediterrranean. I started mine yesterday and the jury is still out on me.  

If this new plan of attack works I will sure let everyone know!!

If we can go at least 1 month without feeling anything I will assume it worked.  If we do get rid of this I think I will always live with the fear in  the back of my mind that we might catch it again. I always say that things could always be worst!
Im 14 and i got pin worms the other day. i have this mdication but afteer hearing these stories, im afraid it might not work. i have to cry every night the ich is unbarable. my brother and dad have it to,  
is there anyways to stop the itch????????
a cream for hemorrhoids work okay...but there is really nothing else.  Don't use ointment because it is harder to wipe off in the mornings.  Sorry you are going through this!
In regards to the "oil of wild oregano" and the "Paratroy" ....it didn't work! as usual
This has been the scourge of my life.  I first contracted pinworms when I was 11.  This continued intermittently for 8 years.  Medications worked for a while by the creatures would always make a come back  months later.  It suddenly ended.
When my oldest daughter was 6 she contracted pins worms.  My fifth child was six weeks old. Horrifying! The pinworm scourge continued to aggravate my large family for another 7 years coming and going in the same pattern as I had had as a child. Initially some of the other children were infected but later it was just my daughter and sometimes me. We are both nail biters. Medications and deep housecleaning worked, but the creatures would often resurface around Christmas time after I had carefully cleaned and decorated the house.  That's when I began to suspect the Christmas decorations...The occasional reinfections continued for the next 9years.  When my eighth child was 2, he got them.  He was just learning how the use the potty and also a terrible thumb sucker and later nail biter...not a good combination.  I was resigned to the fact that we would have this disease for some years more.  And we did, in the same intermittent way.  
Finally when I left my husband and moved out of the marital home taking the younger children with me (the baby was then 7), we had one more outbreak, took medicine, and poof! the scourge was gone. It seemed to be a metaphor for a bad marriage.
More recently the older daughter, now 34, took the family kitchen table out of storage and cleaned it up really well for her apartment and guess what...she came down with pinworms a few weeks later. She took vermox and is fine.  So what do you think?  I am thinking that the eggs can live for years in some sort of hibernated condition but be brought out of it somehow. The top and edges of that kitchen table was cleaned daily, but the underside, not so much... the door knobs, drawer pulls, light switches in that house were cleaned, but not daily... the Christmas decorations were put away in dark boxes each year.
I have been going through old toys and children's school papers this week.  My daughter reminded me to be careful about you know what.  So I have been using lots of bleach water and sunlight on the toys.  The papers I may have  to throw out(pain and suffering!).  I may have exposed myself after all.  Will be waiting for the night creatures to return in a few weeks. At least I don't have a house full of rug rats to contend with anymore, but that baby, now 19 years old, still lives with me...and still bites his nails...  It will be interesting. Bye for now.  

OMG, I cant believe u had to go thru that.. I am a mom of four and had my first pin worm case when I was 7 and it was bad, but I got rid of them.. Then like 6 years ago my boys stayed with their great grandfather in Florida and came back with them. They eat alot of catfish, they raise them as well. anyways I think they came from the fish not being completely throughly cooked, or not, never know, gotta start somewhere. So my oldest was 8 yrs old and yongest a small baby. Gross finding them in her diaper at a campground noless. I have been fighting them for 6 and 1/2 years now. They are so gross, when u think they are gone, they are back. One time we had them gone for almost a whole year. And then they were back, and back, have taken vermox, metab.., and pin-x.. Dont know what else to do. Have done the cleaning, washing hands, before and after touching anything.. My hands are like dry and cracked from all the washing.. I dont itch at night, I dont sleep well, so I would notice, but I do feel them during the day, and I usuall can get it, gross I know, but it is so nasty to have them and dont want to infect the kids. Well this time they infected me. So went out to walgreens in the middle of the night to get medicine, it is really expensive now.. So if anyone knows of a real cure, besides killing us all, HELP PLEASE.... Tooo Long, needs to end, and also we eat lots of garlic...
TO MOMTO8:
It is so hard trying to fight something that you can't see to the naked eye.  Both my daughters and I still have them.  I always read that the eggs can only live for a month or two.  But I don't believe that.  I also read that the worms would eventually go away on there own.  That info was definately written by people who have never had them because they NEVER go away on there own.  In our situation the meds have never killed the worms. (except for my youngest daughter...but now the worms are resistant in her body as well) There is NEVER a period of not feeling anything.  For us they are always there, all day and all night.  When you finally did get rid of them what did you take?  Was it the usual mebendazole or pinx?  Also, I was wondering if your kids had ever been in daycare?  I know it runs rampid there.

TO MOMOF4AND1HUSBAND:
To my understanding you can't get pinworms from fish. But there are different worms you can get from undercooked fish.  They could of gotten them from an infected bathroom somewhere or a public swimming pool. I always tell my kids to put toilet paper on any public toilet.  Also, from touching grocery buggies after kids have been sitting in them.  You never know where there hands have been! Think of all the people that have touched them before you.
I have a strong idea of where ours came from.  I have told no one outside our immediate family and doctors who look at us like we're crazy...but I won't go down that road again...it makes me angry. And I'm tired of feeling that way.  I'm sorry for what you are going through.  I know how upsetting it is.  Just keep checking back to this forum for updates....you never know when a cure might be mentioned. :0)
I went to my naturopathic doctor because I suspected that I had pinworms.  He prescribed Vermex and Pro Vermifuge.  "Vermex was first introduced as an anthelmintic in 1953. A large number of piperazine compounds have anthelmintic action. Their mode of action is generally by paralysing parasites, which allows the host body to easily remove or expel the invading organism."  

Bella377 must be right about the link between the lack of HCI and parasites.  Due to taking birth control pills for many years I have low HCI levals. (Birth Control Pills contain high levals of copper.  Excess levals of copper deplete zinc.  Zinc is needed for HCI production)  So Birth Control Pills and Parasites must be a bad combination.  

I've been battling pinworms on and off since i was a teenager (15 years ago).  Back then i was too ashamed to talk to anyone about that wiggling sensation, but it used to drive me so crazy that i'd spit on my pinkie, insert it, and scrape out the offending pinworm.  I'd watch it wiggle away and then crush it.  The wiggling sensation would be gone and i could sleep.

Now i have kids, 7 and 9.  In the past year we've been infected(and i say this because i have the wiggling sensation) 3 times. Once i checked the kids and they had worms - did the nighttime flashlight check - we got a course of Vermox and that was the end of it.  A few months later that, unfortunately distinct feeling was back, didn't want to go to the dr. over it again for fear of social ramifications, and instead opted for Pin-X, seemed to do the trick.  Just a few weeks ago i started getting the wiggling sensation again.  I can't sleep because right as i'm dozing off it kicks up again.  I've been trying garlic supplements this time around and it's not working.  I also got some vermox and have used it twice already, 100mg/week for 2 weeks)  It seems to make it stop for 3-4 days and then it's back.  

It's 4:30am and i have to work in 3 hours and i'm losing my mind.  I'm going to pick up some pin-x tomorrow and do a mega dose.  Apparently, from what i've read on Wikipedia and some veterinary sites it's very safe as it's not absorbed well in humans and just paralyzes the worms.

On a side note i did research that People with low Hydrochloric Acid in their stomachs are more prone to parasites, yeast, etc.  I'm going to order some supplements and try it out too.  On a side note, i just read eating for your blood type.  It says type AB blood type typically has low HCL.  I wonder how many Pinworm sufferers are type AB.

Thank  you everyone for sharing your stories, it really helps.
I started using noxema on my botton and on my vagina today. It's the first relief I have had in years. I hope it keeps the worms inside and they all die. I put alot on.