Gastroenterology Community
colon resection post op diet

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

colon resection post op diet

Hi.  I have posted before and found everybody's input and feedback so helpful!  I have another question:  I am 4 months post op from a colon resection.  They took about 7 inches out due to multiple episodes of diverticulitis.  I am doing better but still a little sore, mostly when I get stressed.  I am taking citrucell fiber shake, once a day, and it seems to be helping.  However, today we went to a BBQ and I ate part of a hamburger, very tasty, until I realized that the bun had sesame seeds on it!  I ate about 3/4.  I stopped as I know that when I was going through my episodes, before my surgery, those things were a definate no no.  Does any one think that this might be a problem?  Both my GI and my surgeon seem to feel that all of the "bad:" part of my sigmoid colon was removed so diverticulosis pouches may or may not be all gone.  I am a total worrier and suffer from clinical depression as well as anxiety disorder.  Help??!!  Thanks so much.
Hi Sue,

I I am three weeks post colon resectioning and not doing that well.  I have developed the most horrible case of diarrhea. I cannot plan to be far from the bath for more than 10/15 minutes.  I have done all the things asked of me - fiber 25 g a day,  I have been using Imodium (immodium) in the evening so I can get some sleep, but when it wears off - I am right back to the bathroom scene.  I am not receiving much help from the medical people.  My internets will not touch it because the surgeon should be taking care of this, the paper work I came home with written instructions to call ones interest if there are problems such as I am experiencing. I hope that someone out there can provide some suggestions.

This has caused depression to set in, I am arguing with my husband every time we look at each other!  

Lee
So sorry that you had to go through this surgery.  I am 8 months out now and doing much better but still have some residual pain, at times.  I have found that everyone seems to recover differently from this surgery.  3 weeks out is very very soon....I experienced some diarrea (diarrhea) but tended to go the over way more: constipation.  I also was advised to go on a high fiber diet but at 3 weeks, I could not handle the fiber so waited a little longer to try it.  I take Citrucell, now, daily.  If it were me, I would call the surgeon's office and ask about this.  Maybe the fiber has something to do with it. In my case, starting the fiber caused me cramping.  Back to the surgeon, I was continuing to follow up with me the first 6 months.  My first visit with him was about 2 weeks after the surgery.  In the mean time, I was also advised to see my family doc, which I did.  I am surprised that he or she did not schedule any follow up appointments with you.   I would call the office....Hope this helps.
Some things to eat that will bulk your stools but allow you to avoid the too high fiber items are oats/oatmeal, marshmallows and applesauce.  They saved me after my J-pouch surgery.
My husband is 2 1/2 months from his resection. He had 1 1/2 to 2 ft of colon removed for it was redundant. Whole symoid was removed.  He is doing good other than so much gas build-up and it smells horrible!  He is eating lots of fruits and veggies - no nuts/popcorn, etc. He is also juicing.
Should he still be having so much gas?
He continues his stool softner, fiber and probiotics.
I had a resection back in 2002.  I found it helpful to take Nullo tablets which are  chlorophyll for the odor.  I also have been helped greatly by taking probiotic capsules daily.   When I stopped taking them for a while, my symptoms of gas, bloating, frequent bowel movements was much worse. Also if I eat a large meal, I have more problems than small meals.   You must get used to what is normal for you post surgery and just learn to deal with it as best you can by eating right and taking probiotics.  If you're not familiar with them, try googling it to find out more info.   Good luck!