General Health Community
20 year old muscle twitching, headaches, anxiety, heart fluttering,etc ...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

20 year old muscle twitching, headaches, anxiety, heart fluttering,etc for 8+ months (Long read)

Hey everyone,

It seems like I have slowly developed an onset of symptoms that I am looking for help with. First off, I am a 20 year old male with a bi-racial background (white/black)

It first started 8 months ago. I noticed one of my quads muscle was twitching. I dismissed it because it would only last a few seconds and go away. Now keep in mind I was probably only getting 4-5 hours of sleep a day so I assumed it was because of that.

Going forward a few months, my symptoms started to increase. I now was getting muscle twitches everywhere (base of neck, arms, legs,chest wall, temple). I went to the doctors numerous time and they dismissed it as stress, benign fasciculations, etc.I was a little stressed at the time because I was working alot and I was a full time student in college.

*I dont drink energy drinks nor do I consume alot of caffeine
Moving on, after these symptoms I started noticing that occasionally my heart would skip a beat. At first it would be every so often but then it moved on to 2-3, even 4 times a day. Some days were worst than others. I started having anxiety attacks and would really start to freak out.

Current day, I am still having muscle twitches. I rarely get heart skips anymore. I went to the neurologist and told her my problem, and she did a physical exam. She said she didnt notice any muscle or nerve weakness and dismissed it as psychological, which I dont really know how to take that. Its hard to not think and worry about something when it happens

Ive also went to the doctors and they've done every single blood test that I can think of  (TSH, CBC, Hemogram, Urine, T3, + others). They also did a chest xray.  All have come back normal. Yesterday I did a Vitamin D, Prolactin, and TSH test, and am waiting to hear the results. However it feels like the symptoms have gotten worse. Yesterday my legs felt like they were twitching non stop. Sometimes its a noticeable twitch where I can see the muscle move in the leg but the majority of the time it felt more like a vibration or a rumbling that you cant see or feel.

What I did fail to mention to my doctor that about 2 years ago I noticed that I had nipple discharged in the left one. It was cloudy and sticky. I went to the doctors and she said she didnt feel any lumps and she scheduled me for an ultra sound (which I have next week)

I also have a hard time sleeping. I take 5mg melatonin to help (which it does). It seems like some nights right as im falling asleep my right hand will have tremors which will wake me up. It only lasts a few seconds so i'm usually able to fall asleep after.

Another thing to mention is that the lymph nodes on the left side of my neck are larger than the right side of my neck (directly under the chin and left side of neck). Im talking 2-3 times as big. I also went to the doctor for those but they said they felt normal (soft, circular, able to be moved).
It seems like the only thing I haven't done test wise is an MRI or an EMG, which I would have thought they would have given me. But has anyone else had any of these symptoms?

Here is a list just in case nobody decided to read that long post:

Muscle twitches everywhere
Muscle rumbling (where you cant feel or see the twitching but its there, really only happens in legs)
Headaches (my headaches are very mild and usually go away with medicine)
Lower back pain (only when i'm standing for long periods of time)
Nipple discharge 1 side
Occasionally mild lightheartedness and dizziness
Fluttering heart (dont really experience this as much anymore)
Right hand tremor right as Im about to go to sleep
Anxiety
Sometimes when I wake up my pinky on my right side will be numb
Tingling right side of face right below the eye but above the mouth (not very often)
I havent had any changes in vision, but it does seem that sometimes if I look away and back at something (while keeping my head the same way) I will see a really small black spot

If anyone has any insight, I'd love to know. Thanks! If you have any questions feel free to let me know also.

Ps: one thing to note is about a month ago, I had strep. After strep I had gotten c. diff, which i'm now on flagyl for. This all happened before this though. Just thought i'd mention it
Your symptoms sound very similar to mine. I am sorry that you are sick but I understand exactly how you feel. I know it is very frustrating when you are dismissed by doctors that can't figure out what is wrong with you. Makes me wonder if they even know anything! I too started off with swollen right lymph node which I believe now was mono. Have you been tested for the Epstein barr virus (EBV) that would be good for you to do just to rule it out because for me I think this was the beast that started all of my symptoms. I also have my nerves acting up and causing jerking, numbing, tingling, tremors all over my lower part of my body and it seems to just travel up and down my spinal cord. My best advice is to get tested for the ebv and atleast to rule it out if you don't have it. Also, an mri of the brain and spine is what I had and having done soon. Take care & god bless you.
it sounds a little like stress i have some of the symptoms as far as jerking muscles sleepless night, numbness and tingling, aches in the chest sometimes i would think i was having a heart attack come to fing out i was very stress and having anxiety attacks i now take lexopro which work wonders and a relaxing pill prescribed by my dr. you might not feel stress but your body feel it and its talking so give that a try also do as melmel67 said go rule out mono (ebv) good luck!