General Health Community
Air Sickness

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

Air Sickness

To start, I have issues with motion sickness.  I don't get sick in cars, but I do have issues on boats and planes.  However, I've used the motion sickness patches in the past for sea sickness and they have helped.  My problem is when I fly.  I don't get sick during take-off or during the flight itself.  It's when the plan starts to descend is when I start to feel sick.  The last flight I went on I was sick (vomited) right as the wheels touched the ground, but I could feel myself becoming sick as we approached for a landing.  I've tried the patch, Dramamine, ginger pills, even prescription pills to calm my nerves (thought it was nerves causing it).  Now I'm starting to think it's a pressure thing.  Any suggestions?
Yes.

The primary cause of airsickness is turning the head while the airplane is turning. An aircraft banks most frequently on departure and during the landing, "holding".  and approach periods.

During "holding" prior to approach an aicraft turns continuosly in an oval. This is generally in what is called a "one minute turn". If you "rubberneck" during one of these turns you may develop airsickness.

Keep your head facing foward and do not turn it from left to right. Most importantly, don't look down, or reach down to pick up something from the floor.

When the aircraft turns on the active look straight ahead, close your eyes, and don't move your head until the aircraft is established in straight and level flight.

The development of airsickness is exacerbated due to noise abatement protocols.
You are actually 100% correct. Sickness on an airplane is usually caused by pressure change which is usually affiliated with sea sickness as well while changing latitudes. 78% of people on airplanes tend to become very sick when taking off or landing because of how quickly the air pressure is changing. Some people's bodies are just more capable of handling the pressure change. It is most common in people that have motion sickness, due to mind over matter. I would suggest taking a stomach relaxant such as;  Peppermint, which is a natural stomach relaxant, Anaspaz, Levsin, Levsinex, Gastrosed, or you can even try Pepto Bismol, or Alka Seltzer. :) Good Luck
Decades ago I used to own a couple of airplanes and instruct aerobatics in a T-34. Loops, rolls and airshow stuff.

As long as I was flying I could perform any maneuver without distress, but when I had a student, with him at the controls, I would become violently airsick every time. I disliked flying in small planes for this reason, unless I was pilot-in command.