General Health Community
Color of toe nail

Join discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations/vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

Color of toe nail

Both of my big toe nails' color have turned a pale shade of purple and the other toes are fine. It doesn't hurt or anything but I am worried that it might be an indication of something serious.
I suggest you see your doctor! Are you a Diabetic or have any circulation problems? Until you see your MD when resting or in bed keep your legs elevated keep 2 pillows under your feet.
Keeping your legs elevated will decrease circulation to the feet, which is exactly what you DON'T want to do. It is contraindicated. You want increased circulation. For the same reason you should NOT put pillows under your feet.

You do require a consult regarding circulatory issues, and a physician or R.N. to check your dorsalis pedis pulse in both feet. The blue tinge suggests a lack of oxygenated blood and a degradation of the circulation.
If blood is pooling in the feet shouldn't the feet be elevated? what if the valves in the legs are not functioning!
Avatar n tn
Thanks for your feedback. I am not diabetic and don't have any circulation problem. I doubt if blood is pooling and causes the color of the 2 big toe nails to turn slightly purple as the other toes are okay. Anyway, will be seeing my doctor next week.
The reason to elevate the legs in cases of shock or systemic vasodilation is to permit more blood flow to the brain and heart while reducing blood flow to the extremities. This is a variation of the so-called "Trendelenberg" position, used to treat shock.  In essence you are sacrificing oxygenation to a non-critical area to insure that the heart and brain function optimally.

A blue toenail means the toe is not getting enough oxygen. If the oxygen is reduced further the chances of damage is increased. Even resulting in potential loss of the toe. What you want to do is to improve circulation. This can sometimes be accomplished by slow-release niacin and omega-3 fish oil, 1000 mg a day, but the reason for the lack of circulation should be determined professionally.

It may be developing diabetes, which affects both macrocirculation and microcirculation.

On the other hand there could be arterial blockage, which would be evaluated by a color dopplar.

Such a condition mandates a medical examination, perhaps not in an ER, but certainly as soon as possible. From the information provided we have no evidence of blood pooling in the feet. We simple have an indication of ischemia. There could be a co-factor such as anemia or blood didease.

Avatar n tn
Thank you for your comment. I was at the doctor's yesterday and it turned out that the discoloration was due to bruising caused by my new shoes. It was nothing as serious as you have suggested.
I'm happy things turned out so well!