General Health Community
Difficulty concentrating

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

Difficulty concentrating

Hello all,
I have been having problems for maybe the past year. I can't concentrate on anything at all, and if I do happen to concentrate I will fall asleep. Sometimes I find something that really interests me, whether it is a book i want to read or a speech I want listen to, I will concentrate for a little while then will begin to fall asleep. My mind seems to wonder off and be blank. It's almost like my mind refuses to think anything at all. I also confuse myself, when I'm driving home I forget the route I take everyday and confuse them with other routes. I am also very forgetful and absent minded, I can be talking to a friend and get distracted and not listen to them at all. I also get confused when people give me verbal directions, I panic when trying to follow their instructions because it feels as though they just spoke to me in a different language, I mean I understand their words, I just can't piece together the meaning and actually understand what they are saying. I'm getting really worried because it has started to interfere with my learning speed in school.
Sounds like you need a good multiple vitamin to get your body and mind in sync.  If you are already taking vitamins you might want to switch to Prenatals.  They are more complete than even the old people ones. - You might want to listen to soothing music too and try relaxing.  If you're like me you probably lay down for 5 seconds and jump up feeling like you've got more to do. ~  But, relaxation is so important.  - Hope this helps you.
Your symptoms also sound like you've had a mild stroke.  you might want to have a complete physical. - You don't necessarily have numbness or palsy with a stroke.  But you can become confused, and not understand what people say to you or you can't find the words you want to say. -  If you haven't had a mild stroke, you might want to consider taking Valerian or Melatonin to help you rest.
Are you getting enough sleep?  If you have been overdoing things and not getting enough sleep you may be overexhausted and then not be able to concentrate.    

You are still attending school so do you have any exam pressures?

Are you eating regularly and healthily?

Are you taking any medications that may be causing your symptoms.

Sometimes urinary tract infections can cause your memory to not work properly and can cause mental confusion.

Being as you are only 17 and experiencing these problems, it may be worth getting your blood checked to make sure you are not anaemic.  

Stress and depression will also cause some of the symptoms you mention.

Have you noticed at all that you seem more forgetful and lacking in concentration when you have gone a long time without food?  I am thinking that you may suffer from hypoglycaemia (I might have spelled that wrong).  You do not have to be diabetic to suffer from this.  What it is, is that the sugar level in your body drops too low and that will make you feel "not in control".  It would be worth getting checked out for diabetes if you are finding that you are feeling very sleepy after meals.

Make sure you drink plenty of water.  Dehydration can also cause lack of concentration.  

I get the same symptoms you describe (I am 60 now).  I usually try and force myself to concentrate and read or watch an interesting programme, but then find myself falling asleep.  I also get bored very easily and have a short interest span.  When I am overtired I find that I cannot find the right word and even mix my words up (even when I was in my 30s).  My family know me so understand that this happens and that I frequently say the wrong word (fridge instead of diswasher for example).  Sometimes I realise that I have used the wrong word so we usually laugh it off.  When I was younger, there was too much stress going on and the brain just switched off.    It is very frustrating.  I do find that it is much worse when I am very tired, anxious or stressed.  I have been treated for depression on and off throughout my life.

You may have the condition silverfox67 says, but only a proper doctor's diagnosis would be able to give you the answers.

Let us know how you get on.
Best wishes

Dear Pencil123,

- meditation in the morning can help you improve your concentration. This will improve your amount of time at your studies and also quality.

- Plan your coming day on a prior night. This will help you to go ahead with a clarity and also improve your confidence.

-Get a proper sleep.Improper sleep may also lead to the problems you said.

-Be patyient and remain happy.

- Seeking help of parents and/or professional will also help you to sort things .

Hope this helps.
Hi. I think you need to concentrate on getting good sleep and eating good, balanced meals. I went through what you are going through a few years ago, and for me, it was all connected to stress. When the brain is over worked, it shuts down in self defense. Too much input and not enough rest time. I don't know what your age is, but if you are young, its unlikely you have had a stroke, though it isn't impossible. If you have sleep apnea, that can cause these symptoms as well. Good Luck and I hope all goes well for you.