General Health Community
HELP! What could be wrong w| me?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

HELP! What could be wrong w| me?

Hello. I am a 17 year old female - will be 18 in May. For the past few months I have had everyday abdominal pain, localized to the area on the left side of my belly-button. On December 29, 2010, while I was visiting my father in Philadelphia (I live in Orange County, CA), I went to the ER due to being extremely dizzy and having a severe tingly/numb sensation throughout my entire body for over 5 hours, as well as abdominal pain. My blood pressure was sky rocketing high, as well as my heart rate so I was on monitors for the night. They gave me a CT scan w| contrast because of my abdominal pain and told me I have some enlarged ovarian cysts on my left ovary and to see my primary doctor when I went back to California, since I was leaving a few days later. I didn't have a primary care doctor at the time due to my old doctor's office didnt accept my insurance anymore, so I didn't end up seeing any doctor after that. The pain was still there day after day &sometimes worse than others. The one thing that didn't change was the spot where I felt pain, on the left side of my belly-button, tho I do get sarp sudden pains felt in my back - same spot, left side of belly-button except felt in my back. The pain was very bad on January 9, 2011 so I asked my cousin to take me into our local Emergency Room to get checked out. They wanted to give me an ultrasound so I informed them that I was told I had a left ovarian cyst - so they did a regular ultrasound and a transvaginal ultrasound where no cysts were found. That's all (My blood pressure and heart rate was high on this day also) ! They prescribed me some Motrin 800mg and Norco pain killers and sent me on my way. The pain continued and nothing much helped. It felt as if I was getting stabbed in the stomach, to a very nagging sharp ache, and always a throbbing/pulsing feeling. The pain killers defintely didn't help. On January 12, 2011 my mom brought me and my brother home breakfast, and I took a few bites to come to severe lower abdominal pains. They were the worst pain I've ever felt, at the bottom of my stomach, all across. I imediately went to the bathroom. (something I forgot to mention in the beginning is that I have had major changes in bowel habits. I have chronic diarrhea that is a yellow, orange color and smells horrible - like acid or old metal) Sorry if that's TMI but I believe it is relivant. Ever since that day, anytime I ate or drank anything I got extreme lower abdominal pains. I told my mom, but she doesn't seem to think there isn't anything wrong - she's not very supportive when it comes to this. But the pain is an EVERYDAY thing and doesn't seem to get better at all. On January 20, 2011 I was staying in San Bernardino with a friend visiting when once again I had the excruciating pains and my bestfriend took me to their local ER where all they did was give me an ultrasound, when I told them there is CLEARLY nothing wrong w| my ovaries, which was correct. They then sent me on my way and told me I just have stomach pains. Hmmm I could have told them that. It's to the point where I can't live my everyday life w| out being in pain. I don't want to go anywhere or leave my house in fear I will be in pain and won't know what to do. Does anyone know what could possibly be wrong? Any insight or suggestions would be greatly appriciated. I'm not sure what else I can do at this point. Should I be worried?
I would suggest going back and asking for a coloscopy,this is an examination of the bowels it is not a very pleasant proceedure but i have a feeling that it could be bowel related.
When I was 14 I had those same problems. My side would hurt so bad that it would make me double over. I would get dizzy a lot and feel like I was being stabbed. I went to the ER and they said it was just " Gas pains". I went home and still was having problems.. I was only 14 so my mother was not sure if I should see a women doctor, but she took me anyways. They did some testing and a vaginal ultrasound, come to find out I had a tumor on my ovary and they had to do Emergency surgery. If I wouldn't have went the doctor, They  said I could of died because of a poison that was leaking into my ovaries...
I had to have one of my Ovaries and Fallopian tube removed.. that was 10 years ago.
from what you describe that you had bowel habit changes and worsened by intake of food, the problem could be gastrointestinal.  you might want to have that checked out.  however, it does not totally rule out reproductive cause cause since you were previously noted to have enlarged ovarian cyst. and since ultrasound has been constantly negative, try to consider other imaging modalities with your doctor.
you need to see a doctor asap.. the chronic diarrhea is not good, epecially the description of it.  you need to see a Gastro/Internal medicine doctor.  Hope you get some relief soon!
Thank you all for the comments !

moyer00 - each time I've gone to get checked out all they do is ultrasounds and assure me that my ovaries are fine - time and time again. I try telling them that my ovaries are clearly NOT the problem but I'm assuming its just procedure. Although, they do not do any other tests. A hospital in Philadelphia was who told me I had an ovarian cyst on my left ovary via CT scan - but a week later through ultrasound there was none seen. Doesn't make sense to me, but something the ultraouns tech said was a little odd to me. I had told her they saw an ovarian cyst on my CT scan of the abdomen and she had a strange look on her face and said "That must not be right, or it was an extremely large cyst to be able to be seen on a CT scan."

nnelg101 - I'm thinking it has to do w| my intestines as well and am hoping to get a new doctor asap. I recently came off of the birth control Implanon in October and have had an abnormal menstrual cycle since then if that constitutes to anything.

silverduckie - I have to be referred to a GI specialist which is a bummer. I went to the only doctor I have at the moment, who was my pediatrician, to try and get some insight and possibly a referral,  but he was absolutely NO help - actually wouldn't even let me explain. I'm in the process of getting a new doctor this week tho.
I'm trying to get a referral to a GI specialist as best as I can. So hopefully then they can do the necessary tests and figure out what is wrong w| me /:
Oh ! And I forgot to add something about my bowel movements - they have A LOT of mucous in them.. is that something I should be alarmed about?
mucoid stool? have you had a stool exam? did they consider amoebiasis?