General Health Community
Myalgia (rhomboids)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

Myalgia (rhomboids)

I went to the doctor today for some back pain in the upper right part of my back, his diagnosis was Myalgia (in the Rhomboids), and suggested it was from sleeping posture.

I was wondering if there are any recommended positions to try and sleep, and also if there are any exercises/stretching I can do to help myself recover from this.

The Rhomboid muscle is often under strain from poor neck posture with rounded shoulders. It produces a nagging pain which is difficult to reach, therefore, self massage is usually done with a tennis ball lying on the floor or with products designed specifically for this like the back massager or the neck and back massager to prevent strain. A hot shower is the best form of heat to use. Correct poor posture and the neck exercises also help stretch shortened pectoral muscles in front which can be associated with this muscle.

Evaluate shoulder position during sleeping since lying on ones side with the arm down (protracted shoulder girdle) may act as a continuous stretch throughout the night exacerbating this condition.

I would suggest maybe trying a cervical pillow, this will help to keep your entire body in alignment as you sleep, I have one, and after using it, I find it difficult to go back to the other kind. I got mine from my chiropractor, but, you can get them at most any department store such as Wal Mart or Target.

Thanks Sassy, I'll look in to that type of pillow.

Thanks Tdub.  I was wondering if this sort of pain could come from bad posture, now that I'm back at school I do often sit for long periods of time and not with the greatest posture.  I sit on a fitness ball to try and help that a bit.  I'll try to take breaks and stretch.

Will Robaxacet help alleviate the pain?  I've been trying advil but it hasn't been working very well.