Natural course of bacterial pneumonia
I'm an otherwise-healthy 35 yo woman who had confirmed Influenza A 2 weeks ago.  I got better for 2 days, then spiked a fever and got sick all over again with pneumonia (confirmed with chest xray).  I was given a breathing treatment and put on doxycycline, which made me very sick to my stomach. I was switched to Omnicef and Symbicort and take Zofran as needed for nausea, and tolerate those fine.  I've been on antibiotics since last Weds 10/28. I started feeling  a little better and my fever went down on Fri.  Sunday night it started creeping up and remains up today (99.9 on tylenol). I'm beyond exhausted and have no stamina.  

Is it normal for the fever to go up and down throughout the natural course of pneumonia?  How long can I expect to be out of commission?  
Why are you taking tylenol? The fever is part of the immune system.  Pathogenic organisms can only replicate within a narrow temperature range. The elevated body temperature is necssary to kill them. I cannot understand why these anti-fever meds are pushed by physicians who should know better. Take your time recovering. These lung infections can be very dangerous. Drink plenty of fluids, walk around a bit, and stay warm. Often a bacterial infection "piggybacks" on a viral infection. If you have dofficulty breathing at night do not hesitate to call 911 and go to the ER. Last year I ended up in the hospital for three weeks after "the flu" got out of control. Good luck.
Thanks for your note. I am taking tylenol b/c of the aches and soreness related to coughing for 16 days...not for fever reduction specifically.  I agree a fever serves a purpose, but am so uncomfortable I need something for the body aches.  

Saw the dr again today and am waiting on follow up chest xray results.