General Health Community
Test results W high Cholestrol
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Test results W high Cholestrol

Does having high Cholestrol (300) and high trig. (166) affect PTH and calcuim blood test results? If so how, does it make the results high, low or just unreliable?
Blank
1756321_tn?1377771734
Your PTH and calcium levels are not affected by cholesterol as found in clinical trials.  High calcium is about 99% of the time caused by hyperparathyroidism. The other 1% is due to cancer, sarcoidosis, excess vitamin D intake, milk-alkali syndrome (too much milk/antacids), paget's disease of the bone.

Calcium levels that are consistently in the low to mid 10's are usually caused by a parathyroid tumour however patients can have hyperparathyroidism with normal calcium levels or normal PTH levels. Make sure you also test your ionized calcium as well as serum calcium. Ionized calcium is considered clinically more accurate. Check out the diagnosis page on ***********.com for a lot more information.

Just to add, 200mcg daily of selenium lowers TPO antibodies for Hashimoto's Thyroiditis in many clinical trials. Organic acid forms like L-selenomethionine are well absorbed.

Related Discussions
6 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Avatar_f_tn
Low thyroid can make cholesterol to go up. Thyroid is connected to parathyroid. Could be some connection, but if cholesterol is high you have to treat it regardless if it is connected to parathyroid or not.
Blank
1756321_tn?1377771734
Serum cholesterol is elevated by the body to protect itself from various acids and toxins. Heavy metals, fungal mycotoxins and trans fatty acids (trans fats) are toxins which will cause a rise in the serum cholesterol. Thyroid hormone is necessary for the healthy metabolism of cholesterol so hypothyroidism (most common cause is Hashimoto's Thyroiditis) is also a common cause.

High cholesterol is caused by the following:

Poor diet  
Genetic - but this is VERY rare (< 1% of cases)
Untreated/poorly treated hypothyroidism
Elevated body burden of mercury
Chronic systemic fungal infections

One study i read showed no correlation detected between PTH and serum cholesterol levels. Another study failed to show any reduction in their triglyceride levels after correction of hyperparathyroidism (tumour of the parathyroid gland).  

Warning if you are taking, or about to take, cholesterol lowering drugs....

Studies on statin (cholesterol lowering) drugs show:

No reductions in death in people over the age of 65
No reduction in death in people with no existing heart disease
No benefit AT ALL in women of any age
Men under the age of 65 with pre existing heart disease: 100 have to take a statin for 3 years to prevent 1 heart attack.

Professor James Wright from the University of British Columbia states that "most people taking statins are taking something with no chance of benefit and a risk of harm."

Statin drugs deplete Coenzyme Q10 levels. Low levels of CoQ10 are implicated in virtually all cardiovascular diseases including angina, hypertension, cardiomyopathy and congestive heart failure. Other side effects including nausea, headaches, dizziness, sleep disturbances, sexual dysfunction, fatigue, shortness of breath, memory loss, liver problems, muscle weakness, muscle pain, peripheral neuropathy (nerve damage).

Blank
Avatar_f_tn
I am concerned with PTH (parathyroid hormone) test results and serum calcium test results being inaccurate because of high cholestrol and trig.
I have controlled thyroditis (hashi's)
I can not take statin drugs because I had a severe reaction to them.
Testing presently because of higher calcium, kidney stones, and other calcuim problems which can be caused by Parathroid tumors.
Blank
1756321_tn?1377771734
Your PTH and calcium levels are not affected by cholesterol as found in clinical trials.  High calcium is about 99% of the time caused by hyperparathyroidism. The other 1% is due to cancer, sarcoidosis, excess vitamin D intake, milk-alkali syndrome (too much milk/antacids), paget's disease of the bone.

Calcium levels that are consistently in the low to mid 10's are usually caused by a parathyroid tumour however patients can have hyperparathyroidism with normal calcium levels or normal PTH levels. Make sure you also test your ionized calcium as well as serum calcium. Ionized calcium is considered clinically more accurate. Check out the diagnosis page on ***********.com for a lot more information.

Just to add, 200mcg daily of selenium lowers TPO antibodies for Hashimoto's Thyroiditis in many clinical trials. Organic acid forms like L-selenomethionine are well absorbed.

Blank
Avatar_f_tn
Thank you for responding. Talked with the DR today about it. My Ionizied Calcuim is high end of normal, PTH high normal and Vit D low, I am voting HyperParathyroid, but with other problems Dr did not vote with me. I also have kidney problems, so going to OHSU for more testing, they do have a parathyroid center which is suppose to do the minisurgery, can not really go to FL. He said cholesterol and trig high levels can make the calcuim appear somewhat lower as well as the PTH, but would need to test more than once. My calcium has jumped around, BP jumps around, but I am being treated for other problems as well.
I do not have cancer, I think I would be a lot more ill feeling.s
Best Regards
Blank
Avatar_f_tn
Forgot to add, Statins kill, no one should take them. I had Low CoQ10 with heart failure, Liver dysfunction, kidneys started to shut down...all happened within 6 hours of taking an increased dose. Hurts very bad
I did not recover quickly or well for a very long time.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
General Health Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...
Sep 18 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...
Sep 04 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
Top General Health Answerers
363281_tn?1353103243
Blank
SassyLassie
Hanmer Springs, New Zealand
4851940_tn?1385441629
Blank
jemma116
United Kingdom
Avatar_f_tn
Blank
mkh9
CA
1622896_tn?1402351966
Blank
bobdylan1958
Outside London, United Kingdom
10389859_tn?1409925468
Blank
Foggy2
Avatar_f_tn
Blank
mandy876
haltom city, TX