High blood pressure...confused
Hey, just a question. I am 19 years old, I am a competitive figure skater and i'm in good physical shape. Though nothing In my life has changed, recently I have found myself to be completely fatigued and wanting to sleep all the time. About two weeks ago I felt really light headed and hot, so I decided I check my blood pressure. I was expecting it to be too low and i found It was super high around 180/90. so I have been checking lately and though the second number seems to be more normal /80 the first is consistently over 160. I dont know where this is coming from. I dont feel over stressed or anything. I really dont know what this means..my dad has high bp but not this bad!.I don't want to alarm anyone until I figure out that this is something to be concerned about. -A little worried.
How are you? What other symptoms are present? What medications are you presently taking? Your high blood pressure may be due to primary or secondary causes and needs to be checked by your doctor. Many factors can affect blood pressure, such as amount of water and salt in your body; the condition of your kidneys, nervous system, or blood vessels; and the levels of different body hormones. Hypertensive work-up is important to rule out involvement of another medical condition such as kidney or adrenal issues. Medications such as birth control pills, diet pills, some cold medications, and migraine medications may alos contribute. Take care and  do keep us posted.