Genetics Community
Is leiomyosarcoma hereditary

This patient support community is for discussions relating to a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Alzheimer’s, blood-clotting disorders, breast cancer, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, Marfan syndrome, and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome.

Is leiomyosarcoma hereditary

My fiancee's mother died of leiomyosarcoma in kidney with subsequent metastasis in liver two years back.His father too died from broncho-pneumonia  when he was young.His father was a chain smoker.Now I am concerned about my fiancee's health .Just want to clarify is there any chance of him inheriting the deadly disease which took his mother's life.I want to add recently he has had jaundice from which he took more than 1 year to recover.we are not sure whether it was only jaundice or hepatitis.I am very much concerned.I will appreciate for any kind of help in this matter.Thanks.
This is a very rare form or cancer, and even rarer in the kidney.  Any cancer in the parents puts siblings at risk.  If I were you, I would make an appt. with a geneticist to discuss this particular cancer.  Jaundice is not a condition, but a symptom of an underlying problem.  It's imperative that he know exactly what caused his jaundice, and if Hepatitis...which one? Plus, he can also infect you if it's hepatitis. Please get a second opinion on your fiancee, and find out EXACTLY what caused his jaundice.  This is nothing to be fooling around with.  Hepatitis is not only contagious through the exchange of body fluids but it damages the liver.  Take care...
Thanks for your suggestions
I was diagnosed with leiomyosarcoma primary of the kidney no one in my family has ever had this type of cancer.  I have been exposed to asbestos in the past.  Could this have caused my cancer?  When I asked my Dr.  She said she don't know what caused the cancer.  She just treats it.  It is really bothering me about what caused my cancer.  I'm just numb.  Any suggestions who I could go see for the information on my cancer?