Genetics Community
Mosaic Downs Syndrom(syndrome)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Alzheimer’s, blood-clotting disorders, breast cancer, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, Marfan syndrome, and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome.

Mosaic Downs Syndrom(syndrome)

I just gave birth to my baby boy! While still in the hospital the pediatrician begins questioning me about the race of my child's father, asking me if he is Asian. His father is black and I'm white and Hispanic. The doctor said she had concerns that my child has downs syndrome because of his flat nose and said that his eyes slant upward. I had an amnio done while I was pregnant and it was normal. The doctor says there is a rare form of DS called mosaic downs syndrome where some chromosomes are normal while others have the extra 21st. So they took blood and now I'm waiting anxiously to get the results. The doc said he was healthy and doing everything he should be. Then I am told that he failed his hearing test in his left ear and hearing impairment is associated with DS. Regardless of the results my son is here and my family and me will love him the same. I am just wondering if anyone has ever heard of anything like this?
The blood tests are the only way to know for sure if your baby has this. You should "google" Mosaic Down Syndrome and you will find a lot of good information regarding this condition.  Take care....