Genetics Community
Spherocytosis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Alzheimer’s, blood-clotting disorders, breast cancer, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, Marfan syndrome, and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome.

Spherocytosis

Both my mother and her sister (my aunt) have been diagnosed with hereditary spherocytosis in the last several years.  My mom is insisting me and my siblings be tested.  We have no symptoms and are wondering how serious this can be and whether it's something that needs to be checked right away or if we should wait until we notice anything.

This discussion is related to spherozytosis.
Hi, I have hereditary spherocytosis and I need to keep an eye on my blood count as hereditary spherocytosis can lead to anemia.  I have been advised to monitor my full blood count - particulary my red blood cell levels to try to avoid anemia and to ensure my blood count doesnt drop too low.  

I have also been told hereditary spherocytosis can also lead to stones on the gallbladder (I have had stones and have had my gallbladder removed).  But you would know if this was happening, you would have alot of abdominal pain.  

Thats all I know, even if you dont get full testing for spherocytosis I would definately thinking about monitoring your blood count through a blood test just in case.  
Thanks for the reply.  The strange thing is that both my mom and aunt were diagnosed, but neither have had any symptoms and they are both in the 70's.  My aunt had her blood tested while she was in the hospital for a minor heart attack and that's when they told her.  My mom asked her doctor to test her since it's hereditary and she too, was told she had it.  That was about 3-4 years ago, and still neither has been affected by it.  I'm in my late 40's and have never had any symptoms or anemic problems so I don't know if I should even bother asking to be tested.
I do suppose, however, that my doctor be notified so that it can be put in my records, just in case something ever happens.  
Sounds like a good idea just to inform your doctor just in case...you can never be too safe - especially when it comes to health.