Genetics Community
down sindrom

This patient support community is for discussions relating to a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Alzheimer’s, blood-clotting disorders, breast cancer, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, Marfan syndrome, and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome.

down sindrom

Ok im sort of friken out today my doctor  told me my baby girl could have a malformation in her heart  and it could be a sign of downs syndrome...  can some one explain to me if its my fault did i do something wrong .
Or what ..some one helpp me .
Please and thnk you
Ps. Im frkin out because this is my first baby   and i dont want notthing  bad to happen to my lil girl  
You did not mention why your doctor told you about a possible heart defect, but it would be important to know what testing you had and what the results were.  It's important to remember that "could" is different from "does", and also, that an isolated heart defect does not necessarily mean your baby has Down syndrome.

Pregnancy can be complicated by any number of factors, and though most pregnancies carried to full term result in healthy babies, about 3% of the time baby may need some medical intervention for one health reason or another.  Because about 50% of babies with Down syndrome have some malformation of the heart, if a baby has a heart defect, it raises concerns for Down syndrome, but it does NOT mean baby has it -- it's just that heart defects are frequent in children with Down syndrome or other conditions like DiGeorge syndrome.  Oftentimes a congenital heart defect is isolated -- that is, not related to any other condition -- and in many instances can be surgically corrected so that baby suffers no long-term ill-effects.

Please discuss with your doctor why he has concerns for baby's heart, and other testing options that may be available to you.  If you are in the second trimester of your pregnancy, you should ask your doctor about amniocentesis, which can test for Down syndrome, as well as fetal-echocardiography, a specialized ultrasound to look at baby's heart. Most large university hospitals have specialized Perinatologists who can assist you with consultation and testing options.

Though certain conditions (like diabetes) or medications (Lithium) can increase the risk for heart defects in pregnancy, more frequently heart defects are just happenstance, just like Down syndrome -- not that mother did anything wrong at all.  Down syndrome and usually heart defects are 'genetic' -- don't blame yourself... do take care of yourself.  Hope that helps, and best of luck. ~eureka
hi hun,everythin eureka said,but also there a million answers to a million questions,best of luck xxx