Genetics Community
spina bifida and genetic
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Alzheimer’s, blood-clotting disorders, breast cancer, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, Marfan syndrome, and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

spina bifida and genetic

hello i  am 27 yrs old .2yrs ago an x ray showed that i have spina bifida occulta (i hve no symptooms). now i am 7 wks pregnant and i am worried about my baby.  what are the chances that my baby will have this defect...thank you very much....
p.s. what should i do....????
worried
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
419309_tn?1326506891
There are certain screening tools that can be used to assess risk of spina bifida to your baby.  Neural tube development can usually be seen by ultrasound after 14 weeks, though best visualization by level 2 ultrasound is usually between 18-20 weeks.  

Your doctor can also order a blood test called AFP (alpha-feto protein) after 15 weeks to see if there are blood levels indicating increase risk for spina bifida. If you have a high level of concern about pre-existing risk, your ob/gyn should be able to refer you to genetic counseling if you let him/her know about your history of spina bifida occulta, though it's a good thing that you have no symptoms... :).

Good luck to you and your new pregnancy! ~eureka
Blank
998108_tn?1249885438
so sweet, thank you so much for the advise,,,i will be seeing my ob/gyn on monday... i will keep you posted...thank you again
paranoid44
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Genetics Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank