HIV Prevention Community
3rd generation test

A place to get help from others in assessing your risk of HIV, getting advice about HIV testing or the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices.

3rd generation test

I had my 3rd generation hiv test today after 6 1/2 weeks and it was negative, how much difference will the change be from the 3 month test i will do later.

thank you.
Hi yobo2891,

Well, according to many experts including Dr. Handsfield and Dr. Hook (the moderators of Expert forums of HIV Prevention and STDs, a HIV Test at 6 1/2 weeks is almost as good as conclusive already.

Apart from them, many other doctors also mentioned the same. One example would be Dr. Zolopa from Stanford University, an expert of HIV/STDs. Check out this video. Dr. Zolopa answered a question on testing window period and he mentioned 6 weeks after a potential exposure is a period for testing.

So, yeah, a 6 1/2 weeks testing is reliable indicator that you are HIV negative. I would say your test at 3 months later will not change. Relax and threat the 3 months test just as normal routine checkup. If Dr. Handsfield or Hook that answers your question, they might tell you no need to test again. However, according to the strict (and conservative) guidelines, a test at 3 months is conclusive.

Thanks.
And yes, I'm talking about 3rd generation test. The experts mentioned above also talking about 3rd generation HIV test which is the most common test.
I agree with andlim--it's highly unlikely to change.
Hi yobo2891,

Sorry. Forgot to paste the video link: http://www.medhelp.org/posts/STDs/A-video-to-share/show/1757521#post_8069136
Thanks to all for your answers. Can any tell me the differece between rapid Elisa test and 3rd generation test.

regards
There is no difference.
Hi Teak, thanks for yours answers, i would like to find out whether it is possible for me to still be experiencing symptoms, body aches after 8 week of exposure. ( 17th May 2012).
Sure but it would not be related to ARS.
I don't know but my GP told me that an Elisa test at 45 days in almost conclusive.!
And as WHO says 6 weeks to 3 months.! You need to test at 3 months to be legally Hiv- .!
Your doctor advised you wrong. A conclusive test result is 3 months post exposure.
Does that means that my body ache signifies that am +ve. And how accurate will be 8 weeks hiv home test kit.
No and you have been advised when to test.
Hiv is not diagnosed by symptoms ..! If you talk about symptoms i am still sick and i have a Hiv -ve test at 104 days..!
So do not worry and go to a doctor to evaluate your symptoms and get a test done at 12/13 weeks that is anytime after 84 days or so.!
And that will be -ve ;-).
Thank you, but i will have to wait till 17th August for the 3 months test. and this is keeping me very worried. From a developing country and the commonest test we have is the home test kit.
You shouldn't be trying to give advice.
Yes and you should have thought about that before having unprotected sex.
Is there any relationship between hiv and sickel cell trait.
No
so sickel cell trait cannot affect the formation of antibodies, am i right.
Sickle cell will not have any bearing on your test result.
thanks Teak, you are so helpful
I had another hiv test with the home access test kit at 60 days (8.7 weeks), which was non reactive. i know conclusive results is 3 months but what are my chances with this results.
HIV is not a guessing game.
hi Teak, i know HIV is not a guessing game but want some clarification, more than a month after my ARS symptoms. am still experiencing severe body pain and aches. Are these pains related to HIV infection.
no
I had my HIV test after a high risk exposure after 108 days (15 wks) through a home test kit, finger prick method. i would therefore like to find out whether my test is conclusive even though it is a finger prick.

regards
* Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusively negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to action by MedHelp. Conclusively negative results or a no-risk situation will be based upon the criteria established by MedHelp’s doctors. Action will be taken as follows:
    * After excessive posting, a warning will be issued by MedHelp
    * Continuing to post regarding the negative result / no risk situation will result in a 3 day suspension
    * Continuing to post upon your return will result in a permanent ban.