HIV Prevention Community
I feel Infected

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

I feel Infected

My story goes something like this: After I graduated high school around a year and a half ago, I drank a heavy amount of alcohol. My judgement was affected and I had unprotected sex with a female friend for roughly 25 minutes. Her sexual status was and still is unknown to me.

For the past year and a half I have been living sick. Eeryday I feel sick.
Symptoms: Night sweats, Aches, burning sensation, fatigue, and over all I just feel awful.

Three months after the sexual encounter I got tested foe HIV. The test came back negative. This allowed for some peace of mind even though symptoms did not disappear. I still felt awful.

Three months later I decided to get tested once again. Again this test came back negative. So I tested negative at six months as well. But still all symptoms remained. I still felt sick. And I still feel sick now. When I thought I did not have HIV I went to my doctor and had a series of other blood work done. Nothing seemed to show up.

I have not been tested in roughly a year. But the symptoms and the way I feel does not allow me to forget the notion that I could be infected with HIV. I do not want to be the one who hits the HIV lottery. Information I read seems to be misleading. Some research suggests is symptoms appear six months after encounter, that you should get tested at a year. Other research says no one has ever taken longer than 6 months to test positive.

I feel like I'm going crazy here. There is nothing more I want in my life than to have the peace of mind of knowing I am not sick. It seems like I have done everything I can do and it doesnt matter. Nothing has come up. Yet I am still extremely worried because I feel abnormally sick everyday. It is also important to note that my doctor did a series of other blood work 6 months after the sexual encounter. I do not know all the details on what I was tested for with that, but nothing came back abnormal. Yet I still feel sick everyday, this feeling never goes away. It is true that I am depressed, but never have I had physical symptoms to this degree. The magnitude of the physical symptoms makes me think very much that this is not depression related. Also I am young, this all seems frightening at 19 years old.
Tags: test, symptom, HIV