HIV Prevention Community
OraQuick Home Swab Test: usage/reliability/7 weeks

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

I'm a 34-year-old I had unprotected vaginal/oral-both-ways sex (I'm not worried about the oral) with a 37-year-old Latina girl I met at a bar on Sept. 3rd. For reasons I enumerated in the member's forum on Oct. 3rd, I felt the encounter was far more suspect than it sounds. I took the Uni-gold blood test at Planned Parenthood at 4 weeks & got a negative result; all other STD tests were clear at that time as well. Tonight, at 49 days post-possible-exposure, I just now took the new OraQuick oral swab test & got a negative result. According to the test kit, you're supposed to swab the upper & lower gums just once, then put the swab in a tube with solution. The swabbing procedure felt extremely... how shall I put it... fraught with possibility for user error. Also, a tiny little bit of the solution in the test tube bubbled out when I "gently popped" it off, per the instructions. The instructions said if the solution spills, the test won't work. However, the Control line clearly appeared. Does that mean I used it correctly? I would venture to guess so.

If it was correctly done, where do you think I stand at this point re: likelihood of truly being hiv-negative, given that the test claims a false negative rate of 8.3%?  At this point, if I were to have vaginal sex with someone, and the condom came off/broke, and I didn't realize it for a good solid while, would I be putting her at much risk, in your opinion?

Thank you.
umm... that question was supposed to be for the expert forum, For Dr. HHH. I didn't mean to start another thread. How do I post it there?
http://www.oraquick.com/FAQs

The OraQuick In-Home HIV Test can give you accurate results 3 months from exposure. Most people will develop antibodies to HIV within this period of time.  

If you test within 3 months of possible exposure and the result is negative, you may want to repeat the test at least 3 months after the possible exposure.  

Ninety-seven (97) percent of people develop antibodies within the first 3 months after infection. In rare cases, it can take up to 6 months.
I am aware of OraQuick's & the CDC's excessively cautious, cover-their-***** statements regarding the 97%/3 months/6 months. But in reality, the window is much shorter than that. I know you favor the old tried-and-true "no test has been developed and marketed that can provide conclusive results in less than 3 months." And you are correct. However, if that statement sufficed as a satisfactory answer, this entire forum would cease to have any purpose. The primary utility of this forum, in fact, lies in the discussion of test result probabilities along a more nuanced, shorter timeline, because people are looking to those probabilities to determine an appropriate outlook, emotional & otherwise, regarding their clinical futures.
It's not up for debate. The guidelines are 3 months post exposure.