HIV Prevention Community
Strange symptoms. Could be HIV?

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Strange symptoms. Could be HIV?

Hi All,

Thank you for reading this question and your advice.  I know that one cannot diagnose HIV from symptoms, but I am a bit worried and I need someone to talk to and hopefully give me some good advice.  

About a year ago I had a one night stand with a woman I had just met.  Her HIV/STD status is unknown to me.  She slept over at my house and when I got up I brushed/flossed my teeth.  We then engaged in unprotected oral (both giving and receiving) and protected vaginal sex.  

1 or 2 days later I became very sick with general flu-like symptoms (fever, fatigue, runny nose, sore throat, night sweats, etc.) About a week after that I noticed a very faint itchy rash on my upper legs and butt.  Two small warts also appeared on my hip.  A week after that I got 2 or 3 small painful canker sores on my gums.  At this point, I  went to the local clinic, but still never thought it could be HIV.  I took a blood test for several STDs (including HIV 1&2 antibody) and all came back negative.  I was relieved and thought no more about it as my knowledge of HIV was poor at the time.  

After my clinic visit, all symptoms subsided without any treatment.  Though I continue to get canker sores every month or two.  They will typically last for two weeks and then subside.  I also still get strange rashes, bumps, and warts on my body.  Some of these will last for a day, some for a week, some for a month or longer.  I also now have toenail fungus on almost all of my toes and have loose stool and diarrhea for no real reason.      

I also began dating another woman a couple of months after my initial incident and after several months of us having unprotected sex she fell quite ill as well.  Her illness was general flu-like symptoms and lasted for about 2 weeks.  This not during flu season, so it was a bit odd.  I have just recently become worried about HIV and have made an appointment with my regular doctor to get tested.  But waiting so long for the test results seems like torture.  I am worried that my brushing/flossing my teeth opened some cuts in my mouth and increased my risk of contracting HIV from giving oral sex to this woman.      

Does this sound like HIV to anyone who is knowledgeable about the subject?  Do you think I could be a rapid progressor with my current symptoms of mouth ulcers, intermittent diarrhea, rashes, and toenail fungus?  My test at the clinic was about 3 1/2 or 4 weeks after the encounter but after symptoms showed up, would I likely have tested positive as I had symptoms at that time?    

Thank you for your help.  
You never had an exposure and your symptoms have nothing to do with HIV.