HIV Prevention Community
Testing by PCR RNA

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Testing by PCR RNA

I am a male who had a low risk encounter with a man. I was the insertive partner and I used protection with a lot of lubrication. I am confident the condom did not break We did have unprotected oral and deep kissing  I did not finish inside, but finished myself manually (hoping none of his rectal fluids made there way inside my penis).  I fell slightly ill at 7 days (slight fever, sore throat which I understand is too early for ARS).  In anycase, I became worried.  I had a Aptima PCR RNA test at 10 days come back not detected.  I had a Clearview Stat Pak at 28 days come back negative.  I had another RNA test (not sure if they did an antibody too, as my PCP ordered it) and that came back negative. As a side note at 10 weeks I had an perinatal abcess (abscess) (near the rectum), that was a first, but I am told that has nothing to do with any STD.  Tomorrow is 12 weeks (84 days), I am going to get another Stat Pak, what is the probability that I would remain negative?
As you had protected sex and there was no condom failure, there was no reson to test in the first place. You do not have a hiv concern.