Heart Disease Expert Forum
High BP and fast heart rate after gall bladder removal

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

My daughter had her gall bladder removed last Friday and
left the hospital the next day.
Yesterday. Thursday, she was rushed to the ER after being
dizzy for days and BP of 172/105, heart rate 82.
Blood and urine tests were ok, chest xrays and ekg were ok.
She was released, without medication, with the direction to
see the surgeon that did the gall bladder removal.
Today her BP is 135/105 with heart rate of 80-85
-------
She feels the surgery is the problem. I feel a cardiologist is
the only one that will help. She will be calling her surgeon
as the ER advised.  Any thoughts ?

I agree that the surgeon should not be managing hypertension and I am sure your surgeon will agree.  Your internist or family doctor can help you initially.  If the blood pressure stays elevated, it never hearts to get an opinion from a cardiologist.  If your daughter is young, we sometimes order other tests to make sure there is not a reversible cause to the hypertension.

I hope this answers your question.  Thanks for posting.
If she has no history of high BP then seeing her surgeon is probably the right thing to do.  As far as the heart rate, 80 something is not high.  A normal heart rate range is 60-100.  The high diastolic pressure may be due to stress related to the surgery and may correct itself as she heal but it is best to check with her surgeon and keep and eye on it for a while. Good luck
Thanks, Gabby...her vitals were always super before the surgery.
She was exercising on 2-3 different machines everyday.  As for her
surgeon seeing her, she found out this morning that he was off
all week. She's going to see her GP as a last resort.
I just wanted to let you know that I had my Gallbladder removed on the 22nd of August. I noticed that for about a week after my heart rate was running in the 90s just laying down. It would normally be in the 70s. My bp was higher than normal too. I normally run around 90-100/50-60 and it was more like 120/73 the week after surgery.
Pain meds can cause dizziness.  I would assume that she had pain even if it was done laparoscopically, and I would guess that she was given some narcotics at least for a few days.  Pain can elevate both the heart rate, and hers isn't really elevated, and the BP.  I don't think it takes significant pain  to do so either.  I could be wrong though!  Certainly I would go to an internist if the elevated diastolic persists.

I had my gall bladder removed in 93, was 28 at the time , conventional 7 inch cut, i had over 300 stones in such a small organ, still have over 250 of them in a jar up to this day. I never had documented HBP( hypertension) til after the surgery. The heart rate you mention are well within the norms from what i gather, my B/P varied from 140/85. to 155/95 for about 2 -3 weeks after surgery. My heartrate was in the 85-110 range at rest for about 2-3 weeks after surgery even with inderal at the time. It took about 2 months for a reasonaable recovery. I still take B/P meds up to this day for palps and mild HBP, now my B/P averages about 100/60 , just as the cardio says he wants it. If it is keeps elevated it would wise to to get it checked out thoroughly in my humble opinion, just sharing my experience, though one can live without the gall bladder its obviously there for a reason, Hope everything works out just fine and the patient feels better soon.
I hope your daughter gets things straightened out soon, I understand your concern.  By any chance is she on medication for pain?  Sometimes that can be the culprit.  I hope it's a simple issue with a quick solution.  Best wishes.
No, no medication. They prescribed percoset, but she refuses to
take them.  She tried to get her GP. but of course she was on
vacation.  The covering doc told her to try Atenolol till Wed,
which is when she will see her regular GP.  Thank you all for your
posts/help.  I email her whenever I see a new post has hit.
We both appreciate your comments more than you could imagine.