Heart Disease Expert Forum
Worried about problems

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Worried about problems

Can someone pls explain why they were unable to do a dobutamine echo on me.  (A cardio came in and looked at the pictures at the request of tech and nurse. Then they all left room). They claimed it is b/c I have ribs.  AS IF I am only one!  I am small boned and frame but do have shall we say large breasts.  I have had echos before as well as stress test and there was never a problem. The doctor has never returned my call and the nurse wont tell me anything except I have now been scheduled for a nuclear persantine MIBI.  This does not sound right and I am very unhappy with these doctors.
Thanks for any help!!

I don't think this is anything for you to worry about medically, perhaps just not great communication.  If there is only a small space between your ribs, the echo images are to difficult and therefore not reliable.  This is most likely the issue, but I would still encourage calling your doctor for a reason.

I hope this helps.  Good luck and thanks for posting.
Hey there,

I laughed when I saw your post only because I had the same "problem" during an echocardiogram myself.  The technician kept going over the same spot again and again.  I asked her what the problem was and she said she couldn't get a clear enough picture.  Of course I asked why and she told my it was because of my generous sized chest.  Nice of her to comment on, huh?  Anyhow, what made it worse is that I have costachondritis (inflammation of ribs, sternum, etc) so she pushed extra hard trying to get the pictures.  I almost sat up and slapped her in the face (:  Take care and best wishes.  Coincidentally what is a MIBI nuclear persantine?
On my last echo she pushed the transducer so hard to get a clear picture ( I am small frame but disproportionately endowed as well ) I was in pain days later. I was cursing the tech under my breath for a while there, but she did get a good study.
LOL.  Yes, yes I was going to smack the doctor when he was pushing on my sternum, and kept telling him he was hurting me.  I don't know much about this persantine mibi except it uses nulear chemicals to rev the heart and then a camera takes pictures. It is a much longer procedure and cannot have any caffeine for 24 hours prior.   I don't have ins so I am forced to do at county hospital where these clowns are liable to confuse my heart with big toe!

What are they doing with you if couldn't get pix with echo?
Hi Ladies,

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one with a bad echo experience!  LOL!  I ended up with a nuclear stress test as well and it was clear.  Nice to hear but still the chest pain continued and I ended up this summer with a 3d ct scan of my heart.  All clear there as well.  The nuclear stress test took a couple of hours because first they inject you with nuclear stuff, then you wait like 30 min. while it circulates through bloodstream, then they take pictures at rest, then you exercise and then take pictures of it right after exercising.  My whole morning was taken up with this darn procedure.  I thought it was funny that the tech. told me to drink a lot of water because the more I pee the faster the nuclear stuff leaves my body.  I drank the water like I'd been stranded in the Sahara dessert for weeks with no water (:  Take care and good luck with the tests.
Hi.  I'm glad it came back clear for you!!  You must be relieved.

I don't get to exercise, I would prefer to, but they are going to use the persantine MIBI which are chemicals to stress my heart.  No caffeine for 24 hours before.  eeek!!  But my understanding is this test can take 6-8 hours.  I am so fustrated not getting any answers from anyone and the "doctor" is gone for a month.
Hi there.  Thanks for sharing.  I don't understand why they couldn't get pictures.  I have had these before with no problem but when cardio came in, he was getting down right abusive it hurt so bad!