Heart Disease Expert Forum
pregnancy and non-sustained v-tach

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

pregnancy and non-sustained v-tach

I am a healthy 31 year old planning to get pregnant.  My questions are:  I have infrequent runs of pvcs (3-5 beats) that has been termed non-sustained v-tach.  I have been told my heart is healthy, but I am wondering if pregnancy will make me more susceptible to these runs?  I am also wondering how having a few of these episodes during pregnancy will effect the baby?  Do you have any information on this that you could give me?  When I get them I usually have a short run of tachycardia afterward because they scare me and kind of take my breath away.  Will this cause me a problem in pregnancy?

I also had a successful ablation for svt.  Will a pregnancy make me more susceptible to "uncovering" another svt problem?

Thank you!
Dear kath,
It is possible that pregnancy could increase the PVCs however this should not be a problem for the pregnancy itself or the baby.  If they are increase and are bothering you your cardiologist may want to try using beta-blockers which are safe to use during pregnancy.  It would be less likely to have another SVT found during your pregnancy.  The only way to know for sure the effects of pregnancy on the palpitations is to get pregnant.  The good news is that PVCs in a normal heart are benign.
Mine is a pregnancy related question although not in relation to v-tach.

My cholesterol before pregnancy was 154 and my tri's were 80. Several months after pregnacy my choles. is 161 but my Tri's rose to 211!

Has anyone else experienced this type of increase. I am 11 mo post partum. And I've lost all but 10 or so pounds of my pregnancy gain.

I also was diagnosed with a Trace Aortic Insuffiency murmur. Would this have any correlation?

Thanks,
Sherri
I know during pregnancy your cholesterol and triglycerides can rise dramatically.  Your OB will be able to tell you if he thinks yours are within normal limits for pregnancy or not.
...oops, i didn't see that you were post partum.  I would still call your OB, though, and see what he/she thinks.