Heart Disease Community
right coronay artery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

right coronay artery

I have 100% blockage of right coronary artery.  The other 2 arteries are 20% and 0% blockage.  Could the right coronary blockage make me still short of breath even though my other 2 arteries formed collaterals to the back of my heart?
Yes, in my opinion based on similar experience with RCA blockage.  I'm assuming they cannot stent the RCA.  I'd follow the doctor's advice which I'm betting includes no smoking, heart-healthy diet, moderate aerobic exercise up to the point of breathlessness and drug therapy.  I found the addition of the drug Ranexa made a big difference in my ability to exercise aerobically.  

The size of the collaterals is probably an important component in this discussion.  I've had very little luck with the development of significant collaterals, it is my my understanding that some people develop better collaterals than others.  
I, too, have a 100% blocked coronary artery, but it has formed collaterals.  I never had any symptoms, or shortness of breath.  Have no idea how long I have had this blockage - but I would suspect for quite some time, sine I have collateral vessels that are doing the job.  No angina, nothing, except for PVCs, PACs and palpitations - and those I have had off and on for 20 plus years.  I hope you find out what is causing the shortness of breath.  Did they prescribe any medications for you?  I am only on a beta blocker, Lipitor 10mg and a baby aspirin.  Cardio doesn't even want to do a stress test - just said to see him once a year.
I was given the option of having a blockage in my RCA stented. I refused because
I wanted to concentrate on have my LAD widened. The left side is much more important because it does most of the work.
How old are you.  I am 58.  What is Ranexa?  I am on Zocor and a Whole Aspriin.  I am going to start Snap Fitness for exercise.  
I sent to wrong person.  What is Ranexa?
I am on zocor-40mg, a whole aspiring.  I am also a diabetic.  I take Lisinoril to protect kidneys.  I have never had high cholesterol;however, the CTA of my heart shows severe plaque.  I am going to see a lipid and fat doctor for risk management.  I am also exercising.  My dad did die at 55, his sister 58, his brother 58.  I am 58.  It is my understanding that the arteries on the front are the very important ones.  My collaterals are feedin;g the back of my heart.  I am focusing on working upper arms.  I read on internet this man grew collaterals by sawing all the time.  I am going to row if I can find that machine at Snap Fitness.
well the back is important too and is fed by a large vessel called the circumflex. In some
people this comes off the LAD, some off the RCA and in very few both the LAD and RCA
have a large vessel feeding the back. This is called co-dominant. When the LAD is blocked the circumflex basically does a lot of work in keeping you alive.
If you have 100% occlusion of the RCA, beyond a doubt and as you state you have developed collateral vessels that provide a natural by-pass.  Whether or not the collaterals are adequate depends in part on your symptoms if any.  There are fully developed collaterals (larger vessel) and angiogenesis (smaller vessels...capillaries) and one may not experience any symptoms, and there can be less developed network of vessels.  

I have a totally blocked LAD and the circumflex is 72% blocked.  Five years ago I went into heart failure mode after I had severally compromised my respiratory system by working in a very dusty work area without a mask.  It was at that time the occlusions were identified and the RCA was 98% blocked...and stented.  No symptoms until heart failure (congested, mild edema...it was a respiratory problem, but I was shocked to learn I had congested heart failure.  
New technology and recently installed at my hospital is a 128 slice ct scan,  and it can now in 4D take images in a split second of a heartbeat and view blood perfusion to heart cells, etc. very fast to hook up and dx a heart condition and cath is now less an option as the newspaper article states..  The best way to determine if there is a lack of blood perfusion is to be tested, and if your collaterals, etc. is inadequate, there should be record of dx and that would be the underlying cause for your SOB.  

Thanks.  I will ask my cardiologist about that ct test.  
kenkeith, before you had your rca stented, did you have any symptoms, and if so, may
I ask what they were?