Heart Disease Expert Forum
worried about my lipoprotein a

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

worried about my lipoprotein a

I have a terrible family history of heart disease as posted before lost a dad and 2 brothers while in thier 30's
just had my lab done the thing that worries me the most is my
LP(a)  it was 141 way way high
my others were ok
triglycerides 53
cholesterol total 147
hdl 60
ldl 76
chol/hdlc ratio 2.5
the only thing out of range was my creantine kinase it was 175
it also says cardio crp <0.2 what does that mean
lipoprotein a 141
i am having gallbladder surgery may 10th should i tell the anestologist i have high lipoprotein a  i forgot to tell my surgeon
i take the following meds once a day is there anything else i can take to lower the lipoprotein a
aspirin 81 mg
atenolol 50
k-dur 20
niaspan extented release 750
pravachol 20
plus  a multi vitamin
Sorry so long my 2 most important questions are
does the surgeon and anestologist need to know my number is high and how can i lower it.
Hi Timok,

A family history of CAD can be stressful. The best thing to do is maximal risk reduction -- diet, exercise, mediations where needed.  Your cholesterol seems in order and you are on the right medications.  There is there is data suggesting that folic acid lowers LP(a) levels, there is not data proving this decreases cardiac events.  The current standard of care is to give folic acid  to decrease LP(a), although there is controversy.

CRP is an indicator of systemic inflamation (inflammation) and high levels are associated with increased cardiac events.  You level is low.

i am having gallbladder surgery may 10th should i tell the anestologist i have high lipoprotein a i forgot to tell my surgeon

You can tell them but it will not alter their plan.  Increased LP(a) is only a risk factor, it does not mean that you have CAD.  If they know your family history, they are informed about your risk, albeit low based on what you have told me above.

Good luck with your surgery and thanks for posting.
Never even heard of LP(a).  Since CAD is a major issue in my family, I guess I better get familiar with it.  Looking forward to the doctor's response.  Great questions!
I forgot to mention 2 years ago my doctor had me take a calcium scoring test it was called heart scan well i did terrible it showed i was loaded with calcium my score was almost 400 it said i was in the 99 percentile and only 1 percent scored higher then me where do i go from here can i do anything to get rid of the calcium or i just doomed to have a heart attack please help me.
Your family history is very interesting. Has your doctors looked for a gentic link? Has the doctor looked at your ferrtin levels? If not..you might what to push to have them checked..so often a family loses members like yours. There must be an underlying cause IMO. Has any of your family had ot has any kind of liver disease? Or unexplained diabetes? You also my want to check into Hemochromatosis (Iron-Overload) maybe you might be able to a new look on your health
my doc does a cbc would that not show an iron overload?
NO!!!....They have to check the ferrtin level....The Doctors don't really look for Iron-overload they think it is a rare disease..But it is not!! an est. 33 million american carry one copy of the mutation and 1 out of 200 Americans have Hemochromatosis and don't know...Early death from heart failure and liver failure is a good sign for either Hemo or copper overload. Myself I dont know to much about the copper overload, but I do know some on Hemo. My 28 year old brother suffers with V-tachs and heart failure, and everthing that goes with it. If you have any questions. I would be happy to help
Great Question....Docs please go into detail about what you know about Lp(a).

I have early onset heart disease and CAD deaths both sides.

my Lp(a) is 353, the normal reported by my lab is less than 30.  Yikes, I'm 11.7 times the upper end of normal.

CK was 167....

My lipid control is 40mg Crestor, 10mg Zetia, 2g Fish Oil.

Thanks for a great post.
What's ferritin desirable level(in middle age men) and if high how can it be decreased?Does anyone know whether lp(a) increases with age as does blood pressure?
Lipoprotein A is pretty complex.  It has to do with blood plasminogen.  This is not a blood pressue related issue (but elevated bp could have an impact).

This is a genetic issue as well.  Not much is known about it, or how to treat it.  Nicotinic acid and gemfibrozil might help.  Lp(a) is a possible sticky note of heart disease to come.

It is extremely sticky, and tends to attract other Lp(a) molecules, aggrevating or accelerating CAD.  This is pretty complex to do a google search everyone and brush up.  Lipidsonline is helpful.

I'll have to get mine checked next visit at the cardio.  I'm having an upper GI and have to go off aspirin and plavix for 5 days--with these blockages, and goofy things like Lp(a) I'm not too happy.

--->standing order to visit the ER at the first bought of uncontrollable chest pain.  8 ^)
I saw my Lab result today. (However it was done non-fasting) Total CHL 148, LDL 39, HDL 39 (darn), Trig 343 (holly * - Honestly, I had an ultimate cheese burger 1st time in a month a my doc decides to do a surprise lipid work 1 hour later) but my Lp(a) was 68. I started back on Cardio-C - The Pauling therapy.