Heart Rhythm Archive Expert Forum
Suppression of Bradycardia-dependent PVCs
About This Forum:

WELCOME TO THE INTERNATIONAL HEART RHYTHM FORUM: This forum is for questions about Arrhythmias, Causes, Complications, Diagnosis, Drugs-Medications, Electrophysiology-EPS, Flutter-Fibrillation, Investigational Treatments, Living with Issues, Maze Procedure, Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVC), Premature Atrial Contractions (PAC), Prognosis, Research, Tachycardia, Treatment-Therapy.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Suppression of Bradycardia-dependent PVCs

I have what I would call "bradycardia-dependent" premature ventricular contractions. Since I've started having PVCs almost a year ago now, they only affect me at a resting heart rate. I NEVER get them when exercising, and even just getting up for a brisk walk or cleaning the house which only slightly elevates my heart rate, will suppress any PVCs.

I have a very low heart rate of around 50 when just sitting and relaxing and have recorded less than 40 bpm when I was asleep.

My question is related to a study that was done over a decade ago. I have not seen any new studies in this area and I'm not sure why. The conclusion of the above study is this: "[A drug called] Nicorandil may suppress premature ventricular contractions when they occur mainly at a low heart rate." Here is a link to the summary of the study I'm referring to:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9505922

Three questions:
1) Has there been any more recent studies on bradycardia-dependent PVCs?
2) Why is Nicorandil not available in the US?
3) Nicorandil is a vasodilatory drug. Arginine also produces vasodilation. I have read that supplementing Arginine can suppress PVCs. Are there any further studies on supplementing L-Arginine or the weightlifting supplement NO2 for PVCs? (supporting article that suggests Arginine and Taurine suppress PVCs: http://george-eby-research.com/html/taurine-l-arginine-arrhythmias.html )

Thanks in advance!