Heart Rhythm Community
Angina Scare

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Angina Scare

Hi there two weeks ago I experienced very sharp chest pains while driving which made it difficult to breathe in and dizzy.  After the third episode I sought medical attention.  My ecg was abnormal, a murmur not previously there could be heard and my blood work had elevated levels including creatine.  A few weeks before this episode I had an unusually slow rate between 55-65 compared to usual SVT.  I was also experiencing hard heart beats that I could hear though not fast ones and occasionally I could feel my heart shudder and stop briefly requiring deep breaths to feel normal again including a wheeze.  I was treated with cardiac asprin and now take it permanently.  My doctor said it was either a pulmonary embolism or angina, both of which are possible due to my irregular heart beat.  Since then I have experienced these pain on and off but resolve with rest and extreme exhaustion.  I had a scare on Saturday night with chest pain but my heart was not only beating hard, it was irregular and in tachycardia which took double verapamil to calm things down and took about four hours, I was scared and felt like I would die.  I still feel ragged with episodes of tachycardia, irrregular and slow beats.  I am getting chest pain on and off though not severe or for long.  I have pills to put under my tongue which I think I was told to use for prolonged chest pain.  Should I be concerned with these new changes or accept they are part of having SVT.  Is it dangerous?  I am still exersizing but am finding it really hard going as I have no energy and feel exhausted.  I wish I could sweep this under the carpet and pretend it never happened.  Tks for advise, I'd appreciate it.  
I have zero help for you, but please see your EP specialist or cardiologist. This does not sound good. :(
Sorry i have to agree w. Jenny on this one...something is definately going on with you Lindy and it sounds like you need to be seen and not accept that answer of "well it could either be an emobolism or angina" because neither are good and need to be taken care of.  I am hoping that this doc you are talking about Lindy is a heart doc and not your family doc...no one has to go thru this with medicine the way it is so progressive today.  i seriously would not wait and definately would not sweep this one under the carpet....becaue if it is angina that means that the oxygen and blood aren't getting thru to your heart because of either a narrowing or blockage in the arteries leading in and that can be taken care of easily by a good heart doc or if it was a embolism and it was not confirmed thru testing that could be bad too...Lindy see a doc especially with your symtoms (symptoms).....and i would do it ASAP if it were my body believe me......
Tks 4 advise.  It pretty much confirms what my gut is telling me and I am only 38 and have young children.  I know I don't have high cholesterol.  My heart specialist is in South Africa as I live in Zimbabwe we don't have the specialists here.  I am going for a stress ecg this week in Zimbabwe so hopefully that will confirm what is going on and I will be in contact with my specialist.  Our health insurance does not cover these trips to specialists so it's a difficult call.  I am really scared and will heed your advise.
You are used to taking deep breaths.Start this  pranayam today, and do it daily for 30 minutes twice a day. This will relax you, ease your symptoms,regulate your heart naturally.I would like to know how you feel after 3 weeks of pranayam. After you are better, continue the pranayam daily.
Build up your timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after one minute.
Anulom Vilom pranayam –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 15 to 30  minutes twice a day.
Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.