Heart Rhythm Community
Atrial fibrillation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Atrial fibrillation

i was told that that the monitor caught a touch of A FIB

YIKES I'M SCARED 2 DEATH i go see my dr on friday

what can i expect from a fib

be honest am i doomed?

can it ever go away ?
Hi!

You'll have to define that "touch" of A-fib. Just a few seconds?

It's common to have small bursts of A-fib, but if the arrhythmia gets sustained (which it may if you have untreated hypertension, chronic stress or manifest heart disease) it may be a good idea to treat it.

Treatment in young people as yourself is usually ablation. In other words, the pulmonary veins which may produce bothersome PACs that may cause atrial fibrillation ("normal" PACs don't) are isolated and they can fire as many PACs as they like, and they won't be noticed. If you have high stress levels that irritate the atria, beta blockers can be used as treatment.

To answer the questions:
Q: what can i expect from a fib?
A: Don't know. It may be an one time happening, or it may develop into longer bursts and eventually chronic A-fib. Depends on your lifestyle and cardiac health.

Q:be honest am i doomed?
A: No, not at all. 10% of all men above 65 years live with permanent A-fib and as long as it's treated with medications to slow the rhythm, and anticoagulants, even they are completely safe.

Q: can it ever go away ?
A: Depends on the cause. If the stress levels are high enough, everyone can get A-fib. If it persists, you can cure it with ablation.
Good morning i read your post...and no you are not doomed.  Its estimated that over two million people in the U.S. alone have atrial fibrillation an i had an EXTREME case of it probably in honesty one of the worst.  It is easily treatable especially if it is considered a "touch" or random episodes and many people have it and don't even know they have it and its not reported.  It depends on the frequency of the episodes and how the doc wants to handle it.  It could be a treatment that can start anywhere from simple lifestyle changes to keep it at bay all the way across the board to non invasive surgery as a cure with meds right in the middle.  And yes it can go away on its own or not.  It depends on alot of different factors but i definately would not take the ball and run with this one Chevy Man until your heart doc tells you the prognosis, severity, and treatment plan.  As far as what to expect knowing the answer to that would be like knowing the winning lottery numbers...atrial fib has a mind of its own and the one thing i know for sure stress is not good for it...its like feeding a fish food......it just waits until you stress or get tired and pops up....it is definately not a death sentence and is easily treatable or cured....wait until you have the sit down with your doc to determine  the severity of the issue.....in most cases docs will put people on a low dose of beta blocker to keep it at bay or tell you to knock out caffeine, hydrate with water, etc.  Do not judge what is happening to you by my profile....i was an extremely isolated case of the worst of the worst and i blame that on being a redhead anyway....no worries Chevy Man......atrial fib doesn't kill us.....its just scary until we fully understand exactly what our individual situations are and even at the worst like mine i am still a success case over four years later....Godspeed to you at your appt. and we are all here for you Chevy Man
thanks for the responses and yes (is_something_wrong )
i agree the dr will have to explain that one to me the nurse told me that over the phone

yea cindy707 you are right i guess i gotta wait to see what i'm dealing with i'm scared of CHF  
I agree with the other inputs...

I was diagnosed with AFib around the age of 55, so I escaped longer than you, but too when diagnosed I was in full-time AFib, no monitor was required to catch it.  I was in and out of normal sinus rhythm for the next 12 years when my hart could not be held in NSR with drugs.  I now live with AFib doing what is called "rate control" and "clot prevention".  BB and Warfarin.

You young enough that a cure should be sought if you AFib is any problem at all.  Occasional AFib may require no more than an aspirin a day for some protection from clot formation.

I recognize you handle, but don't recall you history.  That said you have posted many times before, and the other heart reasons you posted abouit my well bear on the condition.
How did your Dr. miss that, you posted that your monitor was fine?  I had 2 episodes of afib in 2 years.  I opted for the ablation for the afib and other things.  I was not placed on any meds for the afib just an aspirin every other day.   I would ask lots of questions.  Like the others have said, it will not hurt, the anxiety over it may.   Good Luck with your appt.
how did they miss that? i don't know

i little back ground

i'm 6'3 315lbs blackmale

39 years old high bp

i have left ventricular diastolic dysfunction

and i was told the left side of the heart was a little stiff  

I really believe that reducing the BP and some weight loss would be the best way to cure your atrial fibrillation.

LVH and diastolic dysfunction are two (really common) side effects of hypertension. I can see from another post that you asked what concentric LVH was. Well, there are two ways LVH can develop, the concentric one and the excentric one. In the concentric LVH, the heart mass is enlarged, and the walls are thick relative to the free space within the ventricle. In the excentric form, heart mass is enlarged, but the heart is otherwise normal shaped related to free space. The heart grows inwards in the first one, and outwards in the other (con-center and ex-center).

LVH is seen in 20-50% of all with long term mild hypertension and the numbers are about the same for LV diastolic dysfunction. It can resolve with proper treatment.

Problem with A-fib is that all atrias are extremely irritable compared to the ventricles. Where large structural changes is necessary to get V-fib (luckily!!!!!) atrial fib can appear with slight changes and even adrenaline. Often changes in the ventricles can cause atrial fibrillation. It's really common after heart surgery like bypass surgery.

I guess your main focus should be getting the hypertension controlled.

will it ever go away?

or can it ever go away?
slight changes and even adrenaline

what do you mean?

sometimes during sleep i get what feels like an adrenaline rush that wakes me up
update i saw a ep and he told me he didn't see any a-fib on the holter monitor but to keep it for an extra month

but my energy level is low and i always feel like crap now what :(
I haven't re-read the thread, so I may be asking for something already covered.  

Are you on any medications?  For example, beta blocker.  This alone can cause as a side effect low energy and "like crap" maybe mostly emotionally.  

I take a fairly strong does of BB (50 mg) and CCB (240 mg) to keep my HR under control.  I always find I am not interested in doing much physical work, but once I start I find I can accomplish physical effort goals, even exercise.  Still, I am unenthusiastic which may be a mental more than physical state... I don't know.

No AFib? That's good news.  Now what is the problem?
whats the problem? good question the rhythm specialist told me he didn't see any AFib but to wear the monitor for another month

and as far as meds Metoprol 50 mg twice a day and an aspirin this was after they felt they saw Afib  

and i feel the same as you in the sense that i don't feel like doing much but once i get going i can knock it out

i keep having strange feelings and ending up in the er and they say nothing is wrong and send me home