Heart Rhythm Expert Forum
Heart Palpitations/Tachycardia/Thumping Sensation

Questions in the Heart Rhythm forum cover topics that include heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Hello

I am a 20 year old male, a smoker of 7 years, in otherwise decent health.

At the beginning of this summer I've had a plethora of problems arise.

Firstly, what my doctor says are PVCs (the chest fluttering) have become more frequent. Had an echo done, but to my knowledge nothing showed up, so they're probably benign (and seemed to have calmed down).

I get the sensation of my heart thumping in my chest as well. Not rapid, just thumping, accompanied by a feeling of too much air in my stomach which is relieved by belching, but sometimes I will have to belch all night before I feel relief. I can also see a pulse beating pretty good in my stomach, which is very disconcerting and to my knowledge, not that normal.

Also, I tried exercising again this summer. After an intense game of soccer, I realized my heart rate was still beating well over 100bpm an hour after I was resting at home, which continued for at least another hour, and has happened several times after intense physical exertion (I used to be an athlete, became inactive for 5 years, tried to start again. Too much too soon?).

Recently drinking even one or two beers seems to trigger tachycardia as well, again well over 100bpm. One afternoon after two pints it seemed like it was at least 140bpm.  

Cut out caffeine entirely, but that didn't seem to help all that much.

I have a history of stress/anxiety. Could all this be "in my head" so to speak? I doubt it however, as I haven't been *consciously* stressed about anything and stopped smoking pot (which triggered anxiety attacks).

I have worn holter monitors and had ekgs performed, as well the the earlier aforementioned echo, which never seem to pick anything up.

What does this sound like to you?
Heart rates sustained in the low 100's range for hours after exercise suggests deconditioning.  You freely admit that you are out of shape and smoke.  It is time to stop smoking  or this will only get worse over time.

The easiest explanation that can explain most of your symptoms is anxiety.  Most people with they are first experiencing anxiety are convinced that there is a serious medical problem that all the doctors are missing.  You mention a normal EKG, holter and echcardiogram.  With normal studies at your age, the overwhelming likelihood is that your heart is not driving your symptoms but simply a noticeable manifestation of the symptoms.

Make sure you talk to your doctor about all your symptoms.  This format cannot substitute for personal contact with a physician.
Forgot to thank you in advance.
Try this for 4 weeks before you see any physician.You will notice a difference in days, as you like exercises and are quite healthy.Come back to report your progress.
You need to help your body to build up your immune system.The breathing exercises - pranayam is a holistic approach creating extra oxygen supply in the body and will slowly help with the health problem.Do the pranayam to see the benefits.If you feel tired or dizzy stop, and resume after 1 minute.Build up your timing slowly and after two weeks at the suggested duration you will start to notice benefits.

Bhastrika - Take a long deep breath into the lungs(chest not tummy) via the nose and then completely breathe out through the nose.Duration upto 5 minutes.

Kapalbhati -(Do it before eating) Push air forcefully out through the nose about once per second. Stomach will itself go in(contract in). The breathing in(through the nose) will happen automatically. Establish a rhythm and do for upto 30 minutes twice a day.(Max 60 min/day) Not for pregnant women. Seriously ill people do it gently.

Anulom Vilom - Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 15 to 30  minutes twice a day(maximum 60 minutes in one day).
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.

Bhramri Pranayam -Close eyes. Close ears with thumb, index finger on forehead, and rest three fingers on base of nose touching eyes. Breathe in through nose. And now breathe out through nose while humming like a bee.
Duration : 5 to 10 times
----
Only by doing you will benefit and will feel good that you can do something to help the body.Copy and print this to master the technique.This is  simplified pranayam for everyone and you do not have to go to classes to learn. This is for life unlike short term classes where you do it in the class then stop when classes are over.  
Wow, thank you so much. I will definitely try this and let you know how I feel.