Heart Rhythm Community
Why does xanax help my skips

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Why does xanax help my skips

I have suffered skips for amost 45 years and the only thing that has got me thru it is a small amount of xanax . Why would this help so much?  PS they still drive me zonkers.

This is actually a proof that your skipped beats (premature beats) are caused by adrenaline and mental factors / anxiety, and not abnormal structures in your heart.

It's possible a small amount of beta blockers would work as well (since they blocks the effect of adrenaline and similar substances on your heart). Perhaps you should discuss this with your doctor (if you haven't already) since beta blockers are more safe to use, and does not cause drowsiness like xanax can do.

Good luck!

All sedative will have some effects on your heart. It MAY(not PROOF) mean your skips are sue to anxiety but it's alway best to ask the Dr. I have been on Anti D's for 7 years and sedatives for about 3 year on and off and recently sleeping meds. My Dr"s ALL said my palpitation were anxiety right up untill I got my pulse watch and discovered that my heart rate was getting to 185 while walking slowly. After being put in hospital for 3 day the cardioligist finally diagnoised me with inapropriate sinus tachycardia. They told me that while they really have know idea what causes IST or how to fix it 100% that Anti D's have showed to help many people since I was already on a very high dose of anti D's they had to go with another med which is called Ivabradine, very NEW(in Australia).

So while I agree that it may be anxiety it is not proof at all. It depends on your symptoms. Sedatives can always reduce the feeling of heart sensations and even reduce the accurance of them if you were to have one ECG with no sedatives and one with sedative's. Only a Dr can tell you if the sedaitives are the way to help you in the long run with out causing you harm. There is always a SMALL chance that the sedatives MAY be hiding a problem that may need proper heart meds.

While I was in hospital it was not till the 3 day I was in the hospital when my my Tachycardia showed its true extent. This may be because I was not taking my sleeping meds while in hospital and the effect of my sleeping meds and sedative wore off compleatly. But also strangly for me anxiety lowers my heart rate as well when I panic or get seriouly anxious(mentally over thinking things) then my heart gets lower this may because I forget to breath properly I tend to hold my breath with out realising I'm doing it. My phycologist has been trying to help me with this. Since being on Ivabradine my tachycardia has been so much better and my anxiety symptoms(when I'm not over thinking) has been so much better.

Please dont think this means your have a problem and worry but also it would not wise in my oppinion to assume its anxiety even if you have anxiety issues as you CAN have both. Dr even struggle to seperate anxiety and true heart issues appart unless thay do the proper test to find out.
i believe sedative drugs might relieve,
but also cause pvc's and tachycardia's...

it can stop tachycardia and pvc by "relaxing" the way the body works.
i don't know the exact mechanism but it's something to do with "GABA RECEPTORS".
when sedative drugs like xanax and valium stop the tachycardia's or pvc's it can be
because they were caused by mental issues.. but it could also be that they weren't mental to begin with and the sedative drugs just happen to calm the body!

------------------------------

when the body is addicted (or "dependent", as others like to call it)
to sedatives such as xanax, valium, zolpidem, etc...

the heart might give pvc's and tachycardia's during the time
when the body is asking for higher blood concentrations of the drug.

these are called: withdrawal symptoms.

stopping any med must always happen under doctors supervision.
often times (especially with stuff like xanax) verry slow tapering is required (for more info about this: read up on the ashton method)

some people are better off on drugs,
some people are better off off.

i guess people with heart arrhythmias may be in for a long rough time before things get better
when they decide to taper their sedative meds.

Maybe "proof" was a strong word, but drugs against anxiety have no effect on the heart, except reducing catecholamines that affect the heart (such as adrenaline) and slowing the sympathetic nerve system (that increases heart rate or creates ectopic beats).

An example (from 30 minutes ago): I was walking up a hill, everything was fine, until some people drove past me and yelled something and I jumped up. Seconds later my heart rate increased by 40 BPM, with PACs on approx. every 5 beats.

I'm fairly certain this was catecholamines pushing me "over the edge" and starting palpitations. Don't you agree?

I forgot something, about your IST, maybe I'm wrong here, but I didn't think IST was an arrhythmia (it's a normal heart rate, speeded up when it's not supposed to), and it's hard to say what's causing it, but it's caused by something outside the heart (nerve systems, etc).

A condition, sinus reentry tachycardia, is an arrhythmia, that can be very hard to differ from IST.

Anyway, I understand this is difficult to live with, and I'm very happy for you the Ivabradine works:)

Thank you for all the advise, I am in fact a type AAA personality and used to have absolutely terrible panic attacks, spent Thousands of dollars to Doctors thru the years. They started when I was about 19 and lasted until I was about 50. I ran into a Doctor from Cuba in my retail store and mentioned to him about my panic attacks and he said a percentage of people cannot use the coffee bean and thought if I stopped it might cure me. which it did within 48 hours. GOD bless that doctor....my skips however continue but not everyday, sometimes I can go for a week and never have one. If I take vitamin E it just goes off the charts. The only time I take xanax is on a need only, and then very small amounts, but it works everytime. The beta blocker idea really gets me excited and I will try to see what the doctor says. Relating back to the panic attacks I believe I might have done something very bad if I had not run into the Cuban doctor, why had not one of the doctors in the previous 30 years ever mentioned this?  I feel for everyone who suffers from these symtons and hope they can find some help. PS  everytime I used to go to the dentist and got a shot of empie I thought I was going to die, finally after years and years I figured it out, and now I get shots without empie and I'm fine. No thanks to the dentists who saw me go thru my problem time after time. Once again thank you, thank you, thank you. Ron
I never said IST was arrhythmia.

IST is a fairly new as far as being recognised(in australia)as a heart condition. They still have NO real idea what causes it or how to fix it some people live thier whole life with it while other only have it for short time before it corrects it self.

I never said viperron might have arrhythmia either.

I simply said that accepting that nothing is wrong but anxiety with out extra test might not a be a good idea if viperron was also dealing with other symptoms.

You have habbit of telling every one that there symptoms are anxiety and not to worry. While I agree that many people here may be anxious that does mean everyone here has anxiety and it sure does not mean that people here dont have anxiety and something funky going on with their heart.
I think everyone is very different with these things.  I tried xanax when I was getting my PVCs really bad to try to sleep, as they were keeping me up all night.  It didn't help with the PVCs.

I can't even think of any possible connection.

I had PD back in my early 30s.  I moved past it years ago.  WHen I had PD and anxiety issues, I never once had a PVC.  Now that I'm free of the anxiety and PD, I get the PVCs.

So, everyone is different.
Adrienline is not just produced because of anxiety.

It can be over produced due to many factors in the body that dont start with the heart. So when I say proper test I mean everything not just test for the heart. You have to rule out other factor as well and NOT just anxiety. I dont want to name illness with out know syptoms (symptoms) of a person but that why I say get more tests if you have other syptoms (symptoms) dont be affraid to telll you Dr every symptom even a symptom that seems silly like hichups that persist often can be a symptom. While researching my symptoms I found some amazingly simple symptoms that are indicators of possiable illnesses but this does not mean worry that you have the illness. The only way IST is diagnoised is by ruleling out all other reason for the tachycardia and that includes ECG results. There is no test for it as it's a normal HR but instead of the sinus node going off when the body needs it too it go's off for simple reasons. While in hospital my HR got to 135 just drink a glass of water.

I dont know what test you may or may not need I dont know if you need test or have had any test at all. I just know that you know how you feel and you should talk to your Dr more about it if your symptoms are interfearring with living the life you like to live.
Your example of the anxiety reaction of your heart was true, that sound exactly like an anxiety reaction.

But I dont see how that relates to viperron's question. There was not enough information given to even remotely say if it could be anxiety or not. Which I why I tryed to answer the question and not diagnoise viperron. Its the Dr's job to diagnoise people we can guide people to information and give oppinions but I just feel it better to air on the side of caution than tell people its anxiety. It more likly anxiety for sure but that does not rule other medical condition on top of the anxiety.
What did you say you do for your panic attacks?  I suffer from panic attacks and severe anxiety as a direct result of my tachy and PAC's.  I take atenolol 12.5mg QHS (a beta-blocker) to slow my rate down, but at times it still races.  I too, am very Type A, as many of us seem to be on this forum:)  I cannot increase my beta-blocker due to it decreasing my BP.  My BP was very low before I started the atenolol.  I also have asthma, so I am watched very closely.  I take xanax 0.25 (usually half) when my heart races or my PAC's really throw me into a panic. I have yet to find the miracle cure for the panic attacks.  You said something about the coffee bean?  
I see your point.

I know that not all PVCs are related to anxiety, though mine (PACs, but anyway..) are. I also know, since none of us are doctors, it's always best to get a professional opinion (something I write in almost all of my answers).

My point was, if you are able to suppress palpitations with xanax, it's extremely likely that anxiety is the reason for them. A bit like if you can cure headache with physiotherapy, it's extremely likely the headache was caused by tense muscles.

Another point was, if you've had palpitations for 45 years, and the only thing suppressing them is xanax, it's obviously not a coincidence :)

Don't you agree?
I dont really agree maybe the heart problem was minor and xanax helped for a while till recently. Maybe some life changed changed things in ones body to make some thing els happen. Maybe 1 of million things could be happening.

viperron said the xanax got him threw but they drive him zonkers still maybe the xanax only sedated him enough to ignore them slightly to get threw. All I know is I was dealing with sensation in my heart all the time for 45 years I would go insane I swear I am only 35 and my palpitation drive me bonkers all the time when I tryed to lower my anti D meds I was dealing with 24 hour palpiation and gave up trying. I been feeling prety good latly since being on ivabradine so I tryed a day with lower anti D and I did not have 24 hour palpitation I was a little aggitated but no major palp's. Is that a coincidance, it says to me that maybe a huge percentage of my palps were controllable from my sinus node on my heart since ivabradine has shown to only effect the sinus node. Does this mean I was anxious most of my life or had a heart issues all my life I still have know idea I just know the meds work and that really all I care about at the moment is having a life with out palps and with energy.

Your not wrong for sujesting anxiety as reason but things change people get older and body change. Scientific brack threws happen new meds happen, things change, I see a phycologist as well as look for other reason for why I may being dealing with my symptoms because no matter what speaciallist you see you likly to get an answer but if the reconmended treatment has little effect for you maybe it time to seek a new speicalist oppinion in different area.

I have  hayfever, skin allergies, food, intolerance, asthma, mental illness(depression, anxiety, OCD, PTSD), I get restless syndrome, migraines, insomnia and proberly more lol. ALL of my symptoms overlap I never know what I'm going to have to deal with on daily bases it drive me nuts, and I hate medication. My Dr first thought my symptoms were related to the insomnia so she put me on sleeping meds. it help a litle with some of my symptoms, then she gave put on higher strength pain meds for the intence leg pain which has gotten so much better since being on ivabradine proberly because my circulation is so much better. The point is that just one of my symptoms (leg pain) was proberly cause by my insomnia and my tachycardia and also from depression meds(zyprexa) which is when it first started. One symptom can be made worse from several issues. I recently read that pain can contribute to tachycardia which could easily explain why walking caused very high tachycardia and why carrying stuff made the tachycardia worse again. Since going on ivabradine I have notice with more accuracy that when I get headach I tachy and once the pain meds kick in the tachy HR is so much better. Some time when if you have more than one illness it take longer to get a diagnoises due to the Dr's having to figure out what symptom belongs to what problem.

No they still do the trick, every time, it's just I hate being dependant on them and I only take them after the skips start which I believe is the trick. I do not take them the way the doctor wanted me to like 2 or 3 everyday. It's almost like my security blanket.  Probably the only thing I do wrong is fighting taking a xanax, like yesterday my heart was skipping every 3rd beat for about 2 hours before I gave it and took a .5 pill, within about 35 minutes I was ok.
I would never want to take a benzodiazepinen drug 2 or 3 times a day. Have you thought about asking to try a Anti D med instead luvox(fluvoximaine melate) reduced my heart sensation. If your Dr thinks its anxiety at least in part an anti D would be a more productive way of dealing with them if infact anxiety is casing them.
Mum, I appreciate you trying to help me however sometimes I wonder if you are really reading what I'm writing,, I only take an extremely small amount of xanax, like less than .25 mg and only after I cannot control the skips any other way, I have never taken 2 or 3 in one day, not saying that I wouldn't. I'd take rat poison if it helped me escape that terrible feeling. And once again thank you for the feed back.....The next statement is for Rilesnic, I suffered from panic attacks for decades....skipped beats are a walk in the park compared to a full blown panic attack. I spend thousands of dollars and wasted hundreds of hours with our A typical doctors to no avail... I tried everything. Quite by accident I had a Cuban Doctor come into my retail store and explain that where he is from it is common knowledge that some people cannot use either the coffee bean or the cocoa bean, I stopped drinking my de'cafe and within 24 hours my attacks stopped. I have not had a full blown panic attack for over 15 years, it's just a shame one of the American doctors couldn't have advised me on this 20 years before. I have tried to share this story to a few people who suffer panic attacks and to my amazement they have not tried it. The only thing I can think is they have never really had a REAL panck attack.If this helps even one person I will be an extremely happy person.
R
I never said you were taking 2-3 a day I was agreeing with you and sujesting that maybe you try an anti D if you want more relife from the skip sensation. If anxiety is causeing the skip feeling an anti D is more likly to help control the feeling than a sedative. sedatives have a short half life and only hide the feeling anti D have a longer half life and produce the chemicals that are more likly to fix the skips if anxiety is causing them.

I have great sympathy for you and you medical system I'm lucky to live in australia where medicare pays for the the Dr's. I have also noticed from talking to many people in many countries that anxiety is often treated with only sedatives and thats a shame as australia has strict rule on sedative and there not use treat anxiety there to give tempary releaf from stress, anxiety, you never get just sedatives or sedative first when a Dr suspect anxiety.

I only take a small amount of my sedatives and I struggle to stay awake on them or not zone out I go threw  a 25pack of 5mg of nitrazapam in 3month's.

I was trying to agree with you on sedatives I think its you that making assumtion I never said i disagreed with you.
If you have a healthy heart, and no heart disease how about you take nothing and move on with your life.  Is there really such a thing as Inappropriate sinus tachycardia.  I mean if they dont know what causes it, and dont know how to fix it (besides jack you up on beta blockers) then isnt it just how your body works.  IST sounds like a oxy moron to me.
Your only tool is a hammer so you see every problem as a nail.
Your mouth is writing checks your body and mind can’t cash.
Your like a dripping tap: you hear him but can't turn him off.

Its always best to just give knowledge from personal experience and not talk like you know everything and are a M.D.

If you want to just pay people out how about you go find a new site yahoo might suit you well thay like to harras people just like you lol
Ivabradine IS NOT a beta blocker

This coming from some one who rather get jacked up on cocain wow how you start asking for legal med's to deal with obvious personality problem.

You might want to keep the name calling to your self as it just make you look like the moron. As far as the oxy part you a wasting oxy...gen if you think what you said has anything to do with this thread.
I was prescribed cardizem for my bouts if skips and tachycardia. Its a Calcium Channel Blocker (type of beta blocker) and has helped me 100%. It seems that I had borderline High Blood Pressure which contributed to the A-Fib, PVC's, and fast heart rates in the morning after waking up and taking a shower.  Its a 120mg 24hr extended release capsule, once a day.

Wow, what a change it has made to my life.

So far that show I feel about Ivabradine so far. I'm getting my energy back again.
I will say whatever I feel like, I dont need your permission to post whatever I feel like saying.  I never said that lvabradine was a beta blocker, obviously you are taking words out of context like usual.  Why dont you stick with your new prescription and go find another website to harass people.  You think you know everything than why are you on this sight.  
Obviously your severe panic attack are a response from your "great" personality and your wonderful out look on life.  Maybe you should STOP writing in CAPS all the time to get your point across.  Maybe you need an anger management class or could need the help of a psychiatrist to get that panic stricken mind of your out of the gutter,  Don't hate on me because I try and answer a question about drug use.  People have honest questions and need honest answers.  So good luck with your lvabradine let us know how that works out for you
Comment writen by jondsom

I mean if they dont know what causes it, and dont know how to fix it (besides jack you up on beta blockers)

---------------
Does that not say beta blocker lol dont know words It took out of context since Ivabradine is the only med I take for my heart lol.

--------------------------------

People in glass houses should never throw stones. In other words dont comment on my med's if your going to tell some one that you use illeagal med's.
Here in America when you have tachy they usually give you beta blockers.  That is what I meant, never did I say whatever the hell you are taking is a beta blocker, nor do i care.  What drugs I have done in my past or will do in the future is real-event.  Stop trying to act like you are the virgin mary and are the most perfect thing out there.  I will comment on your meds as much as I want, although I really dont care about you or your meds.  You are obviously desperate for satisfaction from this site, and its not working.  Why dont you take your meds and stay off this site and get on with your life.  
lol you are funny if you did not care you would not continue to direct comments at me lol

if I'm desperate for satisfaction for being here you must be hear for the same reason. lol

By the way I'm closer to perfect than you lol I have never done illeagel drugs, I have never smoked, I dont drink alcohole, I dont drink caffine drink or energy drinks.
mum2four profile
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I been diagnoised with depression, general anxiety disorder, Obsessive compulsive disorder, post tramatic stress disorder. I also have asthma, skin allergies, food allergies, seriously bad hayfever. I have trouble with insomnia since 2007, fatigue on and off since I was  ...  [More]    23 which really bad right now, migraine and headachs, shoulder pain and general pain, I suffer from restless leg syndrome mostly at night which recently got really painfull, My bigest and most confusing problem right now has been my legs thay just feel so heavy and it does not feel like just fatuige I trip of uneven serfaces, feel like I cant life them very high even thoe I trying so hard to lift them when I walk. It so frustrating I dont understand. Most recent I started to feel like really weak after light exercise and it makes it very hard to loose weight. I feel so waek I barly made home one day and had to sit on my front door step till I had the strenght to open my door and go inside.  [Less]  
===============================================================
WOW you are so perfect you are OCD, anxiety wacked out and majorly depressed.  Sounds like you are in great shape!!  We all should take the comments you make to heart especially since you have so many mental issues.  Like I said, someone with mental health problems like you needs to be in a mental ward talking to a Psychiatrist.
Having forum battles on a medical help site is just too fun!!

=)

what can i say , epic!
lol you are small minded that cool you think your the first person that has told me I crazy and need to be locked up and be treated by a psychiatrist. Wow your amazing I'm crying.

really...... seriously...........
Hello guys,

Jondsam: I know I've been a little "pretending to know everything" here, I had a little chat with Mum2Four about it and I won't do that anymore.

Anyway, if I promise to stop this, it would be nice if you'd stop being rude, I believe all three of us have great knowledge and experience, we can help many people here feel better, but we won't if we keep flaming here.

Do you agree?
Dont take jondson too serious he's admitted to enjoying the argument if you could call it that lol. He's an attention seeker and likes to play games with people he comes across to me as a flamer.

Sounds as though everyone is a little testy tonight - some days I just have my 'cranky pants' on too!  
We're all on here, I think, to support each other and to learn as much as we can from others who experience the same peculiarities we do.  Since this is a site where we can talk to others who actually understand what we're going through, it'd be great if we can manage to keep it feeling like a safe environment.  

Peace, y'all.....

Sunny
I agree were just here to support each other sorry about today I was not angry at any stage and I should have walked away but I get sick of flamer's and trolls.

take it easy people's
I think both is_something_wrong and mum2four are right as i read their recent comments,they never talk like they were a medical officer or so,is_something_wrong does indeed suggestead anxiety as most causes but thats only after all necessary cardiac test are done and came back normal.As for mum2four,shes often right too,we should never just assume everything can be cause by anxieties not before one had seen a cardiologist and done all those test :) like they say we know our body more than anyone else,so hope to see both of you here more often.
thank you very much for your nice comments
What's a flamer?
Just wanted to add my personal opinion here. I think most who join MedHelp read the disclaimer that this is not a substitute for a doctor's advice, although I'm not sure everyone realizes that everything that is said may not be 100% correct. I am in school to be a nurse and when we talked about PVCs in class, they basically taught us that PVCs are a precursor to a more ominous ventricular rhythm....I was naturally scared to death after this! However, I talked to my doctor who said that they teach that to nurses because of the possiblity of them working in ICUs, etc. and that is better for a nurse(who can not order medicines) to be on the alert for these in order to alert the doctor(at which point the doctor decides the risk/plan of action).
My point is that even doctors can be wrong and this board should be used only as a possible educational tool, to hear from others who have personal experience or done personal research. Everyone's research/ experiences may differ but hopefully all have the same overall goal: to help.Any time I am unsure of my conditon, I may post a question or do my own research, but in the end I always run things by my doctor and if thats not good enough, I get another opinion.
I think people just need to calm down and realize that we are all here to help each other and share our experiences. If this becomes a hostile environment, then who is really going to come to this site for support? I know I wouldn't.
The majority of people on here have been of great comfort to me at one time or another, even if what they said isn't 100% right all the time.
Lets just remember what this site is for, because it has been a life safer for me and I'm sure for others as well. We just need to remember the goal is supporting each other because we are all dealing with these scary arhythmias and we can be each others BIGGEST comfort!
I thank all of you for your answers and support....ALL have been much appreciated!!
Have a Good Day Everyone!
Linda, a 'flamer' is someone who sends unpleasant messages on a thread continually, usually they are not really interested in the topic but rather just enjoy stirring up emotional reactions.  Some kind of power & control issues, I suppose ;D

I always appreciate reading posts by Mum2four & Is Something Wrong because their knowledge seems extensive and I've only just begun actually trying to find out what's going on with this heart business.  There are several regular posters on this site who have very helpful input and, for those of us who have finally accepted that perhaps we need some understanding of all this (me!), their comments are truly helpful.

S
To answer your question, I have suffered from IST since 2007, during which my HR would soar to 200bpm; I was told after an EP study that my heart was just sensitive to my own adrenaline but I had no underlying issues. Now cut to this year, and starting in Jan. I came down with 4K of PVCs daily with no known risk factors, that being said I beleive that the adrenaline is a major player with the PVCs because when I get stressed/ mad/ anxoius...they really rev up! I am currently taking a beta blocker but it no longer helps and I was told this is d/t the body making new receptors for the adrenaline. This would explain why yours calm down with xanax, this is a CNS depressant and can suppress the sympathetic nervous system which is responsible for "fight or flight" response and adrenaline release...thus reducing the PVCs if the cause/trigger is increased adrenaline.
I just took pharmacology and passed with an A so hopefully I am correct:)
Have a good day!!
congrats on the A! ;D
And thanks for your postings - having some medical community folks in here too gives great perspective, especially when they have goofy hearts too!

have a great day,

Sunny
Well done on the study and the A.

I have wondered if a body can be addicted to it's own release of adrenalin. Do I sound strange lol. I wonder this because When I get really anxious and panic my heart rate and my other symptoms get better for while. It like my body needs or enjoys adrenalin lol. It took my Dr a while to accept me saying that I thought my anxiety was making it harder catch the tachycardia. It was a another dr that said he wanted me to go have an ECG right now when I was taking my sick 5y to see if needed meds. I also was not feeling 100% so I thought since my Dr was not working that day I'd see the same Dr's as my son at my old clinic.just incase I was getting what my son had. But when the Dr saw me wearing 2 watch I had to explain one was a pulse watch and that lead to me saying and I'm tachy right now and explaining stuff. He did like what I was saying nor that my heart rate had not come down it was still 145 when I got in the Dr but by the time I had the ECG about 20 min later it was lower at about 120 but still high enough to finally get a ECG to catch the tachy HR. It was really LUCK I feel. My Dr still cant explain it but even after 3 days in hospital it took till the 3rd for the tachy to start to really show its true self. I hate hospital never been admitted for anything but to have my kids. Then I a baby with me to distract me and rock another OCD compulsion.

Anyway just kind curious about addiction to adrenalin. I just seem to have backwards reactions lol.
Thanks! I worked hard for it...lol. That is my newest goal is to one day be able to say that I have lived through these things and be able to help others through my experience. I am hoping to be a cardio or Psych nurse:) as I have experience with Anxiety and PVCs.
Have a good day as well!
Candice
Couple things here: chronic Anxiety can cause a chronic release of excessive adrenaline/catecholines(like epinephrine,etc) and also cause an increase in cortisol(aka the stress hormone). I am sure you know that all of these can cause an increase in HR. I can get my Hr to 180 even on a beta blocker if I'm panicing. I even went into tachy after a stressful test in April. Adrenaline can be released anytime your stressed/anxoius. I do beleive that maybe your OCD/anxiety may make your palps/tachy worse at times. I know my anxiety makes my PVCs horrible....they recorded 300 in ONE hour one day when I was crying/anxious. This was because my PVCs were acting up and I was stressing about the numbers and amount as well as the symptoms. Also, I found that my anxiety can make me more "sick" feeling than the PVCs and if I get both in combo...then Im a wreck! I am currently workingon my anxiety issues because I beleive this has everything to do with my problems. The less I worry= the less the PVCs bother me:) So in conclusion, I think you are doing the right thing by getting therapy for your OCD/anxiety, Im sure the OCD provokes anxiety when you can't do your rituals and the anxiety in turn makes the heart race. My heart doctor told me that my heart could go 200 for an hour and would not explode:) As long as the tachy comes down within the amount of time the doctors alot and as long as it's sinus rhythm, I was told not to worry:) Hope this helps:) Have a good day!!!
I go tachy every time I stand up. If anxiety was the cause that would mean I was scared of standing lol
gave me a giggle, imagining your being afraid of standing up... ;D
But I think you're right in suggesting that it is possible to actually be 'addicted' to adrenaline - from what I understand, the people who really love extreme sports are, in some way, addicted to the adrenaline they feel when they're jumping out of aeroplanes or off 200-ft cliffs or whatever.  Don 't know if that's actually the case, but it was an interesting theory.

S
I think it's an interesting theroy as well????

The other Thing that I wonder about is, what if adrenalin is not being producd properly and a panic attack is forcing my body to make what it needs so when I do panic it's correcting a lack of adrenalin. Like I might have adrenal fatiuge but panic is fixing the low adrenalin in my system or some thing.

But who know's....
According to normal values of adrenaline (and similar substances) in your blood, levels can double from sitting to standing position. This is probably why such blood tests are hard to do and usually give meaningless results (people are afraid of the needle, etc).

It's a bit strange, really, it seems the more anxious I am, the higher heart rate "jump" I get from standing up. If I'm relaxed and calm, I guess my heart rate goes from 60-70 to about 80 when standing up. If I'm anxious, it can go from 90-100 to about 140-150. I guess the explaination is that my nerve systems are a bit more "jumpy" and activated if I'm anxious, but this is just guessing.

Anyway, thanks for great support and nice comments, to all. And Nurse2b, grats on the A :)
I'm not scared of needle lol but I am scared of the attention from the person drawing my blood. I'm not a 100% sure what you trying to explain about the adrenalin and would like you try to explain a little better if you could.

My HR stays more stable after a panic attack I'm sure my HR go's up when I'm anxiety but it does not go as tacky after a panic attack its strange. So example might be that before a panic attack my HR might be spiking around 160 and after a panic attack it spikes to 130. I can also walk faster after a panic attack and dont feel as fatiuged either. My HR would return to normal much faster after a panic attack. It compleatly strange lol.

thank you
If you get a chance look up what I had to say about panic attacks, I think you will find it extremely interesting. I have been convinced for years that mine is an adrenalin problem but since I've quit using coffee my panic attacks have stopped, however when I eat chocolate I will still get a very mild attack. I believe that the skipped beats are related to my old panic attacks and will never stop trying to find an answer to our problem, I really believe there is an answer. Can you imagine how much money one could make if he or she could help solve this problem?  In my " hey day " of panic attacks I would have given everything I own to stop them... some of the thoughts I had about not putting up with them anymore , I won't go into that. Thank GOD I am past those nasty things but still need to figure out the skips. Ron
I am defintetly going to research more on Panic/anxiety and PVCs, I beleive that mine are totally related! I stopped caffeine years ago because of the tachycardia I was having and I have no other risk factors besides the Anxiety problem. Also, I used to have a really high HR when I got nervous or felt that adrenaline rush, so now I beleive that my PVCs are another manifestation of this constant anxiety/ adrenaline coursing through my veins. i intend to research this further. Also I am looking to get into seeing a specialist at Barnes Jewish Hospital and I am going to demand that they find the cause of these dreadful things....hey it's worth a try! I agree, I will never stop either till I find an answer!
I dont know what I was reading at the time but I found it while researching my tachycardia. I read that IST is very commen in nurse's. I dont know why maybe its stress related or some thing but I did find that interesting. I wish I knew where it said that so i point you towards it but I'll have to keep thinking.

Take care
Thank you very much for the congrats! and BTW...u have been a great comfort to me(your last answer helped me tremendously!), don't ever let someone make you feel bad for trying to help! Thank you!