Hep A Vaccination Question
We have received the first shot in the series of two.  I understand that the second needs to be at least 6 months from the first.  My questions are:

If we just get the one vaccination, how long will it cover us for Hep A (we need a total of 1.5 years from initial vaccination)?

How far past the 6 months can I wait to get the second shot and still make it effective?

Also, how close to the actual travel date can the last shot be?

Our trip is to South Africa Aug. 1 of this year.  However, we are currently waiting to qualify for health insurance and the vaccines aren't cheap in Colorado.

Thank You!
Hi there,
The second dose of hepatitis A should be given anytime between 6–18 months after first shot. Nearly 100% of people with develop protective antibodies after a single dose but for long term protection two doses are necessary. For travelers, it is advisable to start the vaccine series at least one month before traveling. Some protection may still result if the vaccine is given on or closer to the travel date. Discuss all your concerns with a local health care provider. I hope you find this information useful.
Best wishes!