Hepatitis A Community
Hepatitis Vaccine

This community is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient community for questions and support regarding Hepatitis A. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hep A, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Hepatitis Vaccine

I contracted hepatitis A some 15 yrs ago, and wonder if my  immunity to it wears off over time.     The school I go to suggested I get Hepatitis B vaccine before I start my clinicals with them.  There was no mention of Hepatitis A vaccine.  Thanks in advance.
Avatar dr f tn
Hello!
A person who has suffered from hepatitis A acquires lifelong immunity to the illness. He will not acquire the disease again in his lifetime. In such a person hepatitis A vaccine is not recommended. Hepatitis B vaccination in the long term reduces the incidence of this disease and also its chronic complications such as chronic active Hepatitis-B and Hepatitis-B associated cirrhosis and primary hepatocellular carcinoma. You may take the hepatitis B vaccine. Hope it helps.
Take care and good luck!