Hepatitis B Community
Hepatitis

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Hepatitis

Back in 1969 I got hepatitis at 18 years old. I was never told or have forgotten what type it was, I was nauseated all the time and my stomach hurt.  My skin turned dark yellow and also whites of my eyes. My stool was WHITE! Extremely tired. Urine was almost orange.  I was in bed for two months. Everyone in my family got the gamma goblin shot. I was newly married and husband never got it. My question is, can I be tested now for what type it was? From what I have read about hep c I worry that my liver may be damaged.
Tags: worry
Try to chose a good doc and do all necessary tests to know in which phase you are.hope your liver is not damaged
Hello, yes you can be tested now to see what geno type you are.
It is also possible, based on your reaction illness that your body was able to fight it off in which case you would test positive for being exposed but negative for a geno typ and viral load

I had a friend back in the  late 70's who got hepatitis, back then they did not know what type he had.  He got very ill, much like you experience.  He followed the restrictive diet, and rest recommendation and was recovered in 3 weeks.  He was also given weekly Vitamin B12 shots.

Now...while he tests positive for being exposed to the virus, he has no geno type or viral load.
The hepatologist explained that people who reacted very strongly had good immune systems that were able to fight it off.

Unfortunately I got a gamma globulin shot to build up my immune system and did not realize at the time that it was a blood product that could have contained the virus.  In 2007, 30 years later, I found out I had the virus and was showing probably signs of early cirrhosis.

The new tx's are supposed to be easier and they are definitely a shorter time period
Good luck, my best to you, Dee
It is possible to find out whether you had Hepatitis B or C infection. Do a blood test for Hepatitis B and C. I expect you will be negative for both, but in your Hepatitis B test, if your HBcAb is positive, then your episode of Hepatitis infection is most likely to be Hepatitis B.