When can I stop Baraclude treatment?
I am female, 28 y.o. I have known being the carrier for about 10 years (probably since birth).
I first started treatment since Jan 08, due to very high load of DNA (almost 600m copies) and high AST, ALT (200, 600 respectively). Echographie abdominale shows Liver were functioning well (all following tests showed same result).
As prescribed by doctor, I have been using Baraclude since. After 6 months treatment (Jul 08), ALT, AST were back in normal range. Virus count dropped to less than 30K copies . Anti-Hbe tested Pos. I was told that the treatment objectives were achieved but advised to continue with the medicine to bring back DNA to lower level.
6 months later (1 year after treatment), my DNA test was done again and showed the undetectable level of the virus (<500copies/ml). I expected then the treatment might be able to stop. However I was advised to continue to taking the medicine being afraid that the resistance to the medicine might develop if I stop using. I have since continued the treatment and all follow-up check-up shows very good result.
Most recently, test in Dec 2009 shows AST 16.2, AKT 11.2. HbeAg Neg. Non-detectable virus count (<500copies/ml).
It looks like it is advisable for me to use Baraclude for life, which is although not too much a problem on the finance aspect, but is extremely inconvinient for other aspects of life. This is because I would like to use contraceptive pills for birth control but it is advisable that anyone taking treatment for Hep B shouldn't use pills.
My questions are therefore, in my case, when can I stop Baraclude? My second question followed, if I have to continue w the medicine, what are the options I can use for birth control (beside usage of condom everytime, which is not a prefered choice)?
Thank you very much for helping with my case.
hi stef,
I stared reading about HBV only rescently.
please explain what you mean:
"they are low on peg mono but 50% in the combo is not bad even if it requires 5-10years."
what is "peg mono" and "combo"?
"hbsag goes down on a good percentage of patients on simple nucs in 3-6 years and then peg add on finishes the infection on 50% patients"
what are "simple nucs"?

I am 42, know of having HBV for 11 years. was listening to the ignorent doctors up to now.
fatty liver, HBV DNA went up over 4000 for the last months. liver biopsy supported these results.
never did hbsag quantity!!
the doctor recommended starting varead or baraclude "for life" as he said.
What do you think?
check all forum posts to understand peginterferon (peg) therapies and antiviral therapies (nuc)

it is wise to start with correct baseline tests and changing liver specialist for a more updated one, to understand the updated expert ones when you book appointment ask for "expert liver specialist on personalized hbv cure according to hbsag quantity response" all the ignorants will be erased immediately, but be aware you may find one or two so expert in your country, so tests:

hbsag quantity in iu/ml by abbott architect
hbvdna pcr
hbeag/hbeab
hbv genotype
fibroscan
ultrasound

then you can start tenofovir if hbsag is elevated and keep monitoring hbsag quantity and hbvdna, when hbsag quantity reaches about 1500iu/ml you add peginterferon in combination until hbsag is undetectable and hbsab detectable
thank you Stef!
you have no idea how much you are doing for the people in this forum!!!

1. "until hbsag is undetectable and hbsab detectable ."
this result means that a person has cures the HBV?!

2. it takes 5-6 years to hbsag quantity reache about 1500iu/ml and than how long (estimate) after starting the peginterferon (in combination) untill full cure?

3. 50% success in this method?

4. I would like to read researches regarding this.
can you help me whth that?

ggtm: Yeah I probably am. But I thought "healthy carriers" term is no longer used as dna does not determine the "health". And that the only way to tell the "health" is by fibroscan and probably a low ALT is preferred too. Antiviral therapy is just to suppress dna (long term high levels may cause damage to liver) but doesnt mean it suppresses hbsag levels am I right?

Engr_j: Your partly right and partly wrong. Antiviral therapy is used to eliminate hbeag or viral multiplication. When hbeag is high our HBV DNA goes up because the virus is multiplying fast. When virus multiplies, our immune system responds killing the viruses and therefore causing liver damage. We can see this in our lab results. Hbeag becomes high, HBV DNA becomes high then our sgpt will go high also. So we take antiviral, our HBV DNA goes up and down if we check it monthly because immune system kills the virus. The antiviral does not kill the virus. What we have to check when we take antiviral is the hbeag. If it goes down it's good. HBV DNA is just a waste of money. I only check it once a year.
Selenium is concentrated dosage not the one we see in capsules or in vitamins. I believe I can eliminate the virus very soon. If ever my mom and I will be cured from this disease.
Thanks Engr. I hope you and your mom the very best. When you said concentrated dosage, you mean from food sources or just supplement with selenium alone?

Can you list all the thing you take other than ETV. Cheers.
What about for people with hbeag-, and antihbe+? How to monitor if we dont check dna? I dont have hbsag quan test here and am really interested to know how do we monitor our hbv such that we know when to restart antiviral?
When do u think I shld start tnf?
yes to all

research are in the forum since 2010 2011 conferences, just go back or use search box to find these posts

most of us are on vitamins and antioxidants and minerals like selenium extracted from natural sources, this helps so much with liver damage but it is absolutley useless to affect hbv
Concentrated selenium is a concentrated mineral in liquid form. It is used for medicinal purposes although by definition it cannot cure a specific disease that's why it is labeled as supplement. I combined this with etv and the results are great. My mom before used also the concentrated zinc & copper combine with selenium and she got hbeag negative in less than two months. It is considered as a natural antiviral. You can check if the product is available in your place. If this works on you then you won't need another round of antiviral you can just try it in 2 months and take a lab test. As I said in my past forums the zinc and copper does not work with me probably because my hbeag is too high and my hbv dna was at maximum (greater than 640 million copies/ml). So it has it's limitations that's why this disease is so complicated. My mom is cured from the approach selenium plus zinc & copper, then after hbeag negative stop zinc & copper and continue with selenium for a year then took stem cell capsules for 4 months and she become hbsag negative. Now I'm trying to decipher my case I'm under etv since Nov 2011 plus selenium. My current status hbsag and hbeag both very low, normal hbv dna and sgpt. Ultrasound and fibroscan both normal.
If you are hbeag negative you should check hbsag w/ quantity as suggested by stef. Although I monitor this in my case I'm still asking my diagnostics center if it has units or not because they claim they use CMIA method same as abott but there is no iu/ml in the results so it's conflicting. This is the next line of monitoring if you become hbeag negative and hbv dna undetectable. Now it is not good just to monitor because you are just waiting for your immune system to respond and we know that when we reach hbeag negative, usually our immune response also stop and then the virus slowly multiplies again, then they rapidly multiply, then we get hbeag positive and high level HBV DNA and we go back to relapse were in the virus is stronger and they develop protection from antiviral. So what we need to do when hbeag becomes negative is to focus on supplements or alternative approach to stregthen our immune system and eventually eradicate hbsag. There must be no stopping until we eliminate hbsag and develop anti-hbs. This is the time we are considered cured. This must be our only goal.  
Yeah I think im in the relapse phase. Suddenly my alt increases which it has never before. I just started on chanca piedra tea. Read it has antiviral properties and will lower dna. Will update on my next lab work in 2 mths. If dna still high then I will start tnf. Tnf has no resistance right? So I shld think if I do need to start tnf, it will work to bring dna to und levels. Its going to be a long journey. Hope the final cure comes out soon.
Now you can see the full cycle my mom was in this cycle for 17 years that's why I can clearly see it. Actually the cure is available but it is a comprehensive approach, it does not come with a single medicine so don't count on a new found antiviral drug or supplement or whatever that can eliminate virus anytime soon. Let's set some goals for you. First goal is to become hbeag negative. You are now taking chance piedra check again after a month if its working continue, if not stop it. If zinc and copper is available in your country you can try it. Ask your doctor if you can take etv again, etv has very low resistance so probably this can still work if not proceed to tnf.

To stef, yes selenium protects the liver from liver damage. It does not cure hbv. It's good to have a protected liver because the hbv cycle destroys our liver. The liver regenerates but like wounds the process creates scars that can lead to cirrhocis or hcc and nobody knows how long will the hbv stay on our system. It's better to be safe. Defense plus offense is always better.
Actually I am already hbeag- and e antib+ for a few years. I stopped etv after und for 2yrs..so I thought its the end point of treatment,  which was why I wanted to stop treatment and see how my body reacts..at the same time let my body rest fr the prolonged use of drugs. But after 1 yr of stopping, dna shot up this mth. I do not know if its because I was rather sick at the time I took my bld test which might have an effect in this high level too. Or is it just that my immune system cannot handle the virus anymore. But the fortunate thing is that my fibroscan is only 4.0kpa which dr said my liver is pretty good to be able to withstand so many yrs of attack.

Now I just want to protect my liver from damage and hcc. I shld be genotye b or c as I am asian. Dr also said inteferon doesnt work well on b and c types.
being hbeag negative means nothing the infection is just like before and hbv just mutated to escape immune system to bcp/precore, the only goal is lower hbsag but this is not done by selenium or zin at all, i say again most of us are on it but it has no effect to clear any hbv and becoming hbeag negative is "NOT IMPROVING", hbeag view is something a decade old.the only thing to look at is hbsag quantity in iu/ml to know if infection is clearing or not

there is also no such concentrated, they are all the same and over a dose of 300-400mcg selenium is extremely toxic
Stef, do u think I should start tnf? Or wait it out first?

Is it dangerous to have my dna levels so high?
it is not hbvdna levels to make the damage but our immune response to it, if you have no immune response you have no damage, so the only thing to make sense is monitoring by firboscan and start antivirals when there is damage

sorry but i am not a doctor it is best you are folllowed by a liver specialist and then check the research posted in this forum so you can choose what your doctor suggests

selenium had a big human study in china with thousands of people from a acouple of areas which showed less liver cancer rates on those taking selenium but no clearance of hbv on those with chronic hbv
How come being hbeag negative means nothing? High Hbeag has high viral multiplication. We can see it in HBV DNA increasing. If the virus multiply on a very fast rate and then our immune system responds and kill some virus we would have liver damage. If the rate of virus multiplication is fast and our immune system only kill small amounts then this will lead to liver cirrhosis, liver damage or worst hcc. That's why we take antiviral to lessen the rate of multiplication while our immune system kills the virus. I think this is also the reason why hbeag negative are not advised to take antivirals because they do not need it because their virus is not multiplicating on a fast rate. That's why I strongly suggest to take antiviral when hbeag is positive and then take immune booster when hbeag is low or negative. The selenium is just for protection so the treatment process will not do much damage to the liver. Toxicity is not a problem as long as we follow dosage, the liquid form does not stay on our body from more than a day so it is verified that no traces can be found one day after intake.

sorry can t waste time to answer to you, hbv is very complicated and you  understood is just a mess of all with no meaning, if other members have time they will tell you what you dont understand
Ok sorry if you think I waste your time. This is a forum, we are not doctors and I just want to share to others some researches and personal history which is all backed up by the numbers and lab test and a succesfully cured chronic hbv infected person and then learn some from you and others research and personal experience also. Every approach differs from the other even doctors contraindicated each other based from their chosen field of study. You probably focus on the antivirals, interferon, the virus itself and stats from clinical trials while I focus more on immunology, molecular and naturaphatic medicine. Our approach may be different but I pray we both get to the same goal which is total cure from hbv.
Actually we need both of such approaches - scientific and hollistic ones. I believe hollistic treatments help, while have not been proven to cure hbv, but thats because of the difficulty to conduct trials and patents as they come fr plants. But every plant also contains chemical compounds (not modified) which may work on our body in a positive way too. Its just that no one knows what is the correct dosage to apply, therefore its best we take natural medicines in moderation and not reply solely on it. So stef and engr_JD, keep up your contributions on this forum! You guys have been a treasure.
Thanks EJD. Keep us update on your treatment and result.

Every individual is different. There is no one treatment for this disease.

Poor DavidEurope had to quit this forum due to information overload and different opinion.
For info: Just recieved a call from my diagnostics center (Hi-Precision Diagnostics Philippines). The hbsag w/ titer with a cut of value of 1 which I monitor is a quantitative measure. The machine used is Abott Architect same as the one mentioned by stef and it uses CMIA method. This answers the question that hbsag wich are unitless (iu/ml) is irrelevant. The screening type of hbsag test with no units is only referred as "hbsag test" and it's result will only reflect either "reactive" or "non-reactive" but they do not indicate any values at all. God Bless everyone!
Hi all, here are my new analyses (30th month)...

At the beginning of the treatment fibrosis level F3, november 2012 , 7.9Kpa

After 12 months of entecavir therapy:
ALT 29
HBsAg 1178
HBeAg 1.80
HBV-DNA negative

After 24 months of entecavir therapy:
ALT 24
HBsAg 916
HBeAg negative
HBV-DNA negative
antiHBe negative

After 30 months of entecavir monotherapy:
ALT 28
HBsAg 593 UI/mL
HBeAg negative
HBV-DNA negative
antiHBe negative

Doctor is still very positive about my evolution. I have asked him about add-on pegasys and he told me that ETV is working so fast with me and he does not recommend add-on INF. He gave told me congratulations. He is sure I will get HBsAg negative some day no so far...(fingers crossed)

Any recommendation? I ve been taking vit D pills for one month during august... I will buy milk thistle too... anything else?
I ve been taking vit D pills for one month during august

take d3 5000 to 10.00iu daily to make vitd25oh around 100ng/ml and keep taking until you get those serum levels, then slowly find your maintenance dose which should be around 5000iu
milk thistle too

don t take this because it has an antinflammatory effect and mght lower your immune response.it does help with liver function but in ur case it may lower immune response
Hi everyone. Finally my Hbsag is now non-reactive. Hope all of you guys will be cured soon. God Bless everyone and have a Merry Christmas!  
Congratulations...! I become very happy with the good news.
Hi all, here are my new analyses (36th month)...

After 12 months of entecavir therapy:
ALT 29
HBsAg 1178
HBeAg 1.80
HBV-DNA negative

After 24 months of entecavir therapy:
ALT 24
HBsAg 916
HBeAg negative
HBV-DNA negative
antiHBe negative

ALT 28
HBsAg 593 UI/mL
HBeAg negative
HBV-DNA negative
antiHBe negative

ALT 24
HBsAg 146 UI/mL
HBeAg negative
HBV-DNA negative
antiHBe negative

Still waiting for seroconversion. The doctor very happy he asked me for research studies since my response to entecavir is being so fast. appy to hera that. I will have my new analysis by september and I wll post as well. He told me that probably I will finish with ETV and with my HBV in 1-2 years.
samarium  
Mar 05, 2014
To: stef2011

After 12 months of entecavir therapy:
ALT 29
HBsAg 1178
HBeAg 1.80
HBV-DNA negative

After 24 months of entecavir therapy:
ALT 24
HBsAg 916
HBeAg negative
HBV-DNA negative
antiHBe negative

ALT 28
HBsAg 593 UI/mL
HBeAg negative
HBV-DNA negative
antiHBe negative

After 36 months of entecavir monotherapy:
ALT 24
HBsAg 146 UI/mL
HBeAg negative
HBV-DNA negative
antiHBe negative

After 42 months of entecavir monotherapy:
ALT 28
HBsAg 100 UI/mL
HBeAg negative
HBV-DNA negative
antiHBe negative

It is getting down slowly but doctor said that is ok.

it is very ok, just make sure your vitd levels are over 90-100ng/ml so immune function is at optimum state

you are among the 10% of lucky ones hbeg positive that clear on etv or tdf
wow. Your results are very good and very similar to mine

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Hepatitis-B/My-all-new-results-after-9-months-Entecavir-treatment/show/2246276
Great result! After 42 months on ETV, looks like you are on your way. There is a chance you will be HBsAg negative on ETV. You were on IFN for one year pre-ETV for 1 year?

What's your Vit D3 numbers in ng/ml?

Yeah my friend. I ve been for one year on IFN and it does not work at all... my fingers still crossed. It is nice to share these resutls with you all, and I hope you are also going well. I did not checj my Vit D3, but of course, I wll take some pills as i did a year ago ;-)
Thanks!

ps.- in six months i will post the new analyses.
I started baraclude treatment 2 months ago, lost 4 kg of my body weight over 2 months, worried as hell, any suggestions?
it is unrelated to hbv, what is fibroscan?
sorry i meant it is unrelated to etv
hi
i m having hbv for 5 years.i was diagnosed hbeag-ve.my dna viral load was 870.on march next was 180.now after five years on jun 2015 my dna is 4056.hbsag 1696,sgpt 27.sgot 45.my doctor has recently added me on entecavir .5mg.what would you say?after how much time the complete cure will be available.i was expelled from job because of the same.it is more psycologically now than phsically.
be sure hbsag is reported with unit iu/ml otherwise the number is useless and not hbsag quantity

keep using etv and take vit d3 10.000iu daily too, test vitd25oh and intact pth after you are on d3 for at least 6 months.keeping optimum vit d levels helps keep liver healthy and it may boost some immune response too, not saying you ll clear hbsag by vit d but it wont harm for sure and may slowly decline hbsag over many many years
my hbsag in iu/ml
can i get rid of this.i lost my job because if this.although i was excellent in studies but now it hass became a mind game.sometime extremely dissappointing
what is pth and how it is related to hbv
stef are you there kindly answer
steff pls reply
hey any update on your hbsag count? is it finally lower than the latest reading? (100 IU/ML)?
Hi all here are my latter analyses:

ALT 28
HBsAg 100 UI/mL
HBeAg negative
HBV-DNA negative
antiHBe negative

After 54 months of entecavir monotherapy:
ALT 29
HBsAg 64 UI/mL
HBeAg negative
HBV-DNA negative
antiHBe negative

I will add on vit d3... Still on the way
Before adding d3 you may test it to estimate a daily dose. If its low probably your immune system is compromised and supplementing it may improve curing. Remember about d3 cofactor Magnesium.
congratulation i think you will slowly clear hbsag and get cured, when hbsag reaches about 10iu/ml you ll very sure to clear

process can be fasten by pegintf add on but i ll wait and see how it goes down  adding vit d3
Thanks a lot. I will keep posting my results. I ll start with d3 asap. ;-)
Hi All
I have been on this forum for two months and got valuable information.
I was detected HBsAg positive on 1st February 2016.
Results
HBsAg positive
HbeAg negative
HBcAB positive
Viral load 6250 iu /ml
SGPT 140 (later 69 in days without medication)
SGOT 80 (later 65 without medication)
HBsAg quantitative 1666.10 IU /ml

My doctor prescribed Entecavir 0.50mg,  which I started 2 months ago.

On Engr_Delacruz suggestion/doubt the treatment may not be required for me at this stage,  he asked me to take second opinion,  which I did and the new hepatologist was surprised as to why antiviral was prescribed. He said now since you have started continue and after 3 months do the blood test.  And consult him again.

All this is very confusing

Stef,  Delacruz please throw some light on this.  
u certainly need the treatment as ur dna is close to the reference range required to initiate treatment in hbeag negatives ie. 2000iu/ml. Secondly again u come in treatment group as ur sgpt is 3 times raised than normal. Ur first doctor did right advice to u and the second one just playing a witty game. Immediately go for a liver biopsy or fibroscan and know ur status more profoundly. Nver stop the drug once started and take it lifelong if no financial problem is there. This may even increase ur chances to cure also, though low but possible yet.
sorry i did'nt notice ur hbv dna which is in 6000 range and is 3 times higher than what required. i advice u to continue treatment indefinitely and learn to live with hbv with peace of mind.
Hi all again, hi stef2011

here are my latter analyses... still on the way...

After 60 months of entecavir monotherapy:
ALT 30
HBsAg 47 UI/mL
HBeAg negative
HBV-DNA negative
antiHBe negative

I added on vit d3 during the last 3 months... 6000UI in the morning and 4000UI at night... Not sure if the amount of vit d3 is enough... I have more pills and I will reestar to add vit d3 nextly.
Hi all!
Im here again. I ´ve just get my last results. After 66 months of entrecavar monotherapy, and adding on vit d3 000UI in the morning and 4000UI at night)...

ALT 38
HBsAg 36 UI/mL
HBeAg negative
HBV-DNA negative
antiHBe negative

All the best!
very good results go on this way, also check about gcmafplus another member with hbsag around 20iu/ml cleared hbsag in 6-12 months adding sublingual gcmaf to vit d3 and antiviral .he was on tenofovir for many many years but hbsag was stable around 20iu/ml