Hepatitis C Community
Chances of getting Hep C from a needle prick...

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

About six years ago a friend of mine was messing with his mom's pricking needle (the kind diabetics use to test their blood sugar) and he pricked me in the shoulder with it. There was just a small red dot where he pricked me, but there was no blood so I'm not sure if the needle actually pierced all the way through my skin or not. Later that day his mother came home and told me the needle had been used by her, and that she has Hepatitis C - but it's not the contagious kind, so I really didn't think much of it at the time.

I have recently learned that Hepatitis C is always potentially contagious from blood to blood contact. And now that I think of it, I remember going to the emergency room for severe lower abdominal pain some time after the needle ***** incident (not sure how long after). The doctor thought it was caused by kidney stones. He took a urine sample but found nothing and sent me home with some pain killers. The abdominal pain seemed to come back every month or so after that, but with less intensity each time until the pain disappeared after six months. I have not had any abdominal pain or other Hepatitis C symptoms since then.

My questions are:

How likely is it that I could have Hepatitis C from a small needle ***** like this, Or how much blood transfer does it usually take to infect someone?

Is abdominal pain from acute Hepatitis C usually only in the upper right liver area?

Would the doctor have noticed Hepatitis C when testing the urine sample?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Eric