Hepatitis C Community
Hep. C. and enlarged Spleen

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Hep. C. and enlarged Spleen

Ive had Hep. C for 25 yrs. Iam 52 now and have been to some Doctors for condition.  The spleen Doctor said I need to be treated for Hep. C  He suggested a Biopsy and then treatment does anyone no about this.
I have hep c over 25 years probably. I also have an enlarged spleen. Your spleen is enlarged because you platelets are getting trapped in your spleen because of liver damage. Your platelet level can probably give you a good indication of how much liver damage you have. You need to get to a hematologist. I've never heard of a spleen doctor maybe you mean a hematologist?

I don't know if I explained it properly but I do know that an enlarged spleen with hep c is a sign to get to someone who specializes in hep c  soon.

Good Luck
I assume you mean a gastroenterologist found your enlarged spleen?

You should have a biopsy soon to learn how advanced your liver disease is. Usually you will not have an enlarged spleen unless you have advanced liver disease. You need to find out the exact status off you health and treat your hepatitis C while you are healthy enough to still be treated.

"Blood flows from the spleen..... through the portal vein.... then through the liver.
Scar tissue in the liver (caused by scaring of the liver/cirrhosis) can interfere with that blood flow...... causing pressure to build up in the portal vein (portal hypertension), and the spleen to enlarge (splenomegaly).
As the spleen enlarges, it traps platelets. (The amount of platelets in the bloodstream is reduced.)
So usually--- people with cirrhosis end up having a problem with portal hypertension and an enlarged spleen, and a reduced platelet count in the bloodstream."

Good luck.
Hector

Thanks for the info. I did mean Hemotolgist blood Doctor.  He said that I need to be treated for Hep. C soon as possible.  My platelets were down, was not to bad he said that get treated for Hep. C and my spleen would return to normal.  Ive been to a few Doctors and I am having another Biopsy on the 8 of the month.  The first one was 10 yrs ago no Liver damage Iam a recovering Alcoholic & drug addict been clean for 20 yrs. woo ray.  But I have damaged my Liver from that, but I dont have alot of pain or jaundice.   So Iam praying for the best.
Unfortunately the virus doesn't care if you are in recovery or not it will continue to hammer at your liver just as if you were still partying away.........most of us have no symptoms at all - I had none and was already stage 3 when diagnosed.  I agree with your doctor you should definitely be biopsied and then look at doing treatment.

You won't have jaundice until you are cirrhotic - dont take that as a sign that means your liver is OK.
Not to sound pessimistic but the liver doesn't feel pain.
I was dying of liver disease, from hep C. Slowly, I faded, sleeping more and more.

It's good you're having the biopsy done, it will reveal more to you than any of us can.
Hi, I just had an ultrasound ordered by my GI Dr and it showed an enlarged spleen and fatty liver. I'm guessing its associated with my hep c.
   My Doc. said that Alcohol and drugs make it worst.  Ive had a few old friends die from cirrhosis because they could not quit drinking. Or they quit but not soon enough.  Alcohol will end your life early if you have Liver disease.
    One doctor I went to done a ultrasound on my Liver.   He said that he could not give me meds. because he did not see Liver Damage.  I then went to a vein doc. or a vascular doc for swelling in mainly my right leg and ankle.   She done some test and could not find what was the cause of the vein diease.  So I had to go back to the Hospital for more test I had to drink chalk liquid form.  Boy what a rush I ant never tasted something so bad.  And some other solution that was put in veins.  Test results showed enlarged spleen.  So I had to do alot of testing before they found the problem.  She said that I would have to see a specialist to find out what was the cause and I did he said it was the Liver Hep C and he said that I was ready for treatment I had a Bioicy 10 yrs ago the doc. said every 5 yrs I messed that up hu.  But Iam set up for one next week to find out the extent of the damage